Author Topic: Overturned gun ban  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Overturned gun ban
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:25:36 AM »
Good news for gun owners in DC

Cheese

Appeals court overturns D.C. gun ban

By BRETT ZONGKER, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court overturned the District of Columbia's long-standing handgun ban Friday, rejecting the city's argument that the Second Amendment right to bear arms applied only to militias.
ADVERTISEMENT

In a 2-1 decision, the judges held that the activities protected by the Second Amendment "are not limited to militia service, nor is an individual's enjoyment of the right contingent" on enrollment in a militia.

The ban on owning handguns went into effect in 1976.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit also threw out the district's requirement that registered firearms be kept unloaded, disassembled and under trigger lock.

In 2004, a lower-court judge told six city residents that they did not have a constitutional right to own handguns. The plaintiffs include residents of high-crime neighborhoods who wanted the guns for protection.

"The district's definition of the militia is just too narrow," Judge Laurence Silberman wrote for the majority Friday. "There are too many instances of 'bear arms' indicating private use to conclude that the drafters intended only a military sense."

Judge Karen Henderson dissented, writing that the Second Amendment does not apply to the District of Columbia because it is not a state.

The Bush administration has endorsed individual gun-ownership rights, but the Supreme Court has never settled the issue.

"I think this is well positioned for review of the Supreme Court," said Jonathan Turley, a constitutional law professor at George Washington University. He said the D.C. circuit is historically influential with the Supreme Court because it often deals with constitutional questions.

"You also have a very well-reasoned opinion, both in the majority and the dissent," Turley said.

If the dispute makes it to the high court, it would be the first case in nearly 70 years to address the Second Amendment's scope.

Silberman wrote that the Second Amendment is still "subject to the same sort of reasonable restrictions that have been recognized as limiting, for instance, the First Amendment."

Such restrictions might include gun registration, firearms testing to promote public safety or restrictions on gun ownership for criminals or those deemed mentally ill.

Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, said the decision gives the district "a crack in the door to join the rest of the country in full constitutional freedom."

A spokeswoman for the district attorney general's office declined to comment on the ruling.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Overturned gun ban
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »
 That is great news. I suppose the lefties will be crying about the courts.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline blackwolfe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 01:38:46 PM »
The lefty Brady group is already crying, complaining about activist judges on this issue.  It's in their news release on their websight.

Blackwolfe
wolfe

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 05:25:12 PM »
The Bradys are complaining about the CONSERVATIVE activist judges.  The libs never complain about the LIBERAL activist judges.....of which our courts are full.  Thank God that Bush was able to put two conservative judges on the Supreme Court....but other federal courts are still full of Clinton appointees.   >:(

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:11:26 AM »
From The Wall Street Journal - one perspective:

Dred-full Decision
It’s not often these days that courts approvingly cite Dred Scott v. Sandford, the Supreme Court’s 1857 decision holding that blacks could not be U.S. citizens. But Dred Scott made a surprising cameo today in another divisive constitutional issue, providing ammunition for a federal circuit court conclusion that the Second Amendment overrides the District of Columbia’s ban on handguns.

Dred Scott
The amendment states that “a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Gun enthusiasts have stressed the last part to argue that the amendment provides an individual right to own firearms. Gun-control proponents focus on the introductory phrase, arguing that the amendment protects gun ownership only within the context of militia service.

The Supreme Court last spoke on the Second Amendment in 1939, when it upheld a federal law requiring registration of sawed-off shotguns. The justices found no constitutional “right to keep and bear such an instrument,” because a sawed-off shotgun had no “reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia.” Most federal courts subsequently have dismissed challenges to gun-control laws on Second Amendment grounds.

Gun advocates have urged instead that courts apply the Second Amendment much like the First, providing an individual right rather than a collective one. The Bush administration embraced that view, and in 2005 the Justice Department issued a 109-page memorandum collecting legal and historical arguments for the position.

Silberman
The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit cited that memo in reversing a lower court that upheld the gun ban enacted by Washington‘s city council. But writing for a 2-1 majority, Judge Laurence Silberman, among the nation’s most influential judicial conservatives, acknowledged that “there is no unequivocal precedent that dictates the outcome of this case.” So he looked for guidance — and found it in Dred Scott.

In that case, the court found that the federal government lacked the authority to abolish a slaveowner’s property right in his slaves merely by outlawing slavery in new territories. No one contends “that Congress can make any law in a Territory respecting the establishment of religion, or the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press… [n]or can Congress deny to the people the right to keep and bear arms, nor the right to trial by jury,” Chief Justice Roger Taney, writing for a 7-2 court, explained in the section Silberman cited.

“Although Dred Scott is as infamous as it was erroneous in holding that African-Americans are not citizens, this passage expresses the view, albeit in passing, that the Second Amendment contains a personal right,” Silberman observes, before moving on to other precedents.

The Supreme Court never reversed Dred Scott, but following the Civil War, the 13th and 14th amendments abolished slavery and guaranteed that anyone born in the U.S. automatically was a citizen.

Today’s ruling conflicts with a 2002 opinion by the Ninth Circuit, based in San Francisco, rejecting the individual right theory of the Second Amendment. That suggests the issue may be headed to the Supreme Court for resolution — offering the justices the chance to weigh in on the modern day relevance of Dred Scott to the gun-control debate. – Jess Bravin

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 02:15:26 PM »
Hold on to your hats guys, if we win this one it'll be a really big win but if we lose it we are toast.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Tapper

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 08:23:30 AM »
The Wall Street J article provided is an extreme rewrite of the v. Miller case, 1939. About the only thing that's accurate was that a sawed off shotgun was involved by virture of its use by Miller in a crime. FOLKS -- there is a repeated lesson here. Anti Second Amendment folks are, liars!!!!  Always, often and without remorse.

Go find the v Miller case and give it a read. You need to be able to "call" these liars every time you get the chance.I think, also, that the majority opionion, or the opinion provided by the Chief Justice in this case does write that the 2ad pertains to individuals. Sorry, I can't remember exactly how that was worded.

Write your Congress folks too -- and pay more attention to how your vote affects this cherished right! (Does judicial appointments light any bulbs?)

Tapper

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »
"Judge Karen Henderson dissented, writing that the Second Amendment does not apply to the District of Columbia because it is not a state"
This quote from the dissenting justice in the DC decision staggers my mind.  Just what applicability does the State have with regard to religious beliefs, press, or public assembly?  What about not having to testify against oneself?  Is the State secure in his home from military housing?  And what about the IX and X th Amendments to close the Bill of Rights.  These 2 clearly separate the State from the people.  Whether DC is a State has no application with regard to an individual right.  This justice does not understand the duality of the 2 nd Amendment and is using her personal understanding of and Brady brainwashed lies to influence and cloud the decision.  The second while recognizing a State need to be secure also acknowledges the fundamental right of the individual to bear arms.  Typical liberal who parses the word "is" and tells me I don't understand what it really means.  By the way in Miller, the Justices allude that had Miller shown and presented evidence in the lower Court of a military application that the lower Court ruling would have been overturned and he exonerated.  Pro firearms owners need a good attorney to present the case from both angles to the Supremes; along with documentation of its legislative intent by the founders, while stressing the individual application of the Amendment.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »
Hold on to your hats guys, if we win this one it'll be a really big win but if we lose it we are toast.

No offense there Dusty, but I ain't let'em put butter and jelly on me regardless of what they end up deciding. Your only toast if you voluntarily get into the toaster. I have no intention of doing that. But that's just me.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline deltecs

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »
No offense meant to anyone, but this quote is as true today as it was when it was said.  "A man who voluntarily gives up his arms for the sake of peace and security, deserves neither."  I think it was Thomas Jefferson.  He was eminently involved with enacting the Bill of Rights and it is obvious that in his opinion that the individual had the fundamental right to keep and bear arms.  An interpretation of the 2nd Amendment after it was written and adopted.  To me it is clear that a founding father meant the indiviuals right to bear arms to be absolute.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 05:46:48 AM »
I believe you just painfully misquoted Ben Franklin:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Offline deltecs

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »
I believe you just painfully misquoted Ben Franklin:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

As a former Pennsylvanian, I should have known the author.  However the principle is identical to my post.  I stand corrected.

Greg
deltecs

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:29:09 PM »
Here's a site that gives an update of the DC litigation:  http://michellemalkin.com/2008/01/03/trouble-in-gun-banners-land/

Note that NY, MD, IL and HI have joined to support DC in this litigation and trash the right to keep and bear arms.  I hope your state has signed on to supporting gun owners in this important case or will do so soon.  The legislature in my state meets beginning later this month, and legislation to direct the Attorney General to help in this litigation is ready to be enacted.  We have a strongly pro-gun legislature and governor to say the least.

I'll bet that the Amateur Trapshooting Association is sure glad they pulled up stakes and moved to IL after IL made lots of promises to lure them from Ohio.  IL wants the shooters' money but also wants their guns! Maybe the ATA Grand American can be converted to a shuffleboard tournament.

2008 will be an important year for gun owners - potentially a fateful one.  Every gun owner needs to work this year to help pro-gun candidates for public office.  Thanks for your time.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
Here's a site that gives an update of the DC litigation:  http://michellemalkin.com/2008/01/03/trouble-in-gun-banners-land/

Note that NY, MD, IL and HI have joined to support DC in this litigation and trash the right to keep and bear arms.  I hope your state has signed on to supporting gun owners in this important case or will do so soon.  The legislature in my state meets beginning later this month, and legislation to direct the Attorney General to help in this litigation is ready to be enacted.  We have a strongly pro-gun legislature and governor to say the least.

I'll bet that the Amateur Trapshooting Association is sure glad they pulled up stakes and moved to IL after IL made lots of promises to lure them from Ohio.  IL wants the shooters' money but also wants their guns! Maybe the ATA Grand American can be converted to a shuffleboard tournament.

2008 will be an important year for gun owners - potentially a fateful one.  Every gun owner needs to work this year to help pro-gun candidates for public office.  Thanks for your time.

Alaska's Constitution and Statutes are worded identically to the US Constitution.  About 10 years ago the Alaska Legislature added a notice of Legislative intent that basically says the individual has this right and it is not a collective right.  Ultimately this resulted in enacting of CCW, formally unlawful, and subsequent State interpretation that anyone legal to own a handgun has the right to CCW without the permit.  The permit process now only is used for reciprocity with other states.  Even individual cities cannot now outlaw CCW by its residents.  I'll send our governor a request to support the appeals decision by the DC appeals court.  The outcome of this SCOTUS decision could drastically affect us here too.

Greg
deltecs