Author Topic: USH....Sims Limbsaver????  (Read 601 times)

Offline st8tman

• Trade Count: (0)
USH....Sims Limbsaver????
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »
My new USH 12g deluxe arrived last night.  As I was there filling out the paperwork, one of the guys in the shop suggested I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it....if for nothing else but the initial ammo tests; as I intend to try as many different slugs as possible to pinpoint what "she" likes. Furthermore the shop had the designated pad (exact fit) # 10003 in stock. Well this pad isn't even close to fitting. Curious what Limbsaver pad you folks have found to work outside of the slip-on?? Has anyone tried the "grind to fit models? or is another "exact fit" model more applicable. Any help appreciated. Thanks for Your Time!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: USH....Sims Limbsaver????
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 10:13:17 AM »
I've used a bunch of the grind to fits on H&R  rifle stocks which are smaller than the USH, but the small works fine on them, you can grind just the base of the pad so it has the same contour as the stock profile, or you can use a belt sander and make them fit very nicely. The pic below is the small grind to fit Limbsaver on a BC stock. The #10601 is a close fit to some of the pallet wood stocks and works well enough, but isn't a perfect fit. You might check the Limbsaver web site, they have all of their prefit pad sizes listed, there might be one that will fit better.

Tim

http://limbsaver.com/Technical/Templates/Default.aspx

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:45:09 PM »
My new USH 12g deluxe arrived last night.  As I was there filling out the paperwork, one of the guys in the shop suggested I put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it....if for nothing else but the initial ammo tests; as I intend to try as many different slugs as possible to pinpoint what "she" likes. Furthermore the shop had the designated pad (exact fit) # 10003 in stock. Well this pad isn't even close to fitting. Curious what Limbsaver pad you folks have found to work outside of the slip-on?? Has anyone tried the "grind to fit models? or is another "exact fit" model more applicable. Any help appreciated. Thanks for Your Time!

st8tman,

I hear you on the # 10003, that isn't even close. That template program at LimbSaver is a joke too! I havent found out which one would fit better yet but will take this paper that I traced around a couple stocks. Check out the one that is recommended for H&R in the template. ::) And yes, I deselected fit to page and printed to scale.

I think the biggest problem is that H&R/NEF does not have a standard size for the stocks, they are ground down to whatever size the guy grinding takes them to. I traced two laminated Monte-Carlo stocks, they aren't even close, and the screw holes are not centered or even close to being the same. I took each recoil pad off and intsalled it on the other, that was a joke. ;D Take a look.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline st8tman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:21:46 AM »
Well I'm glad I hadn't lost my mind after all! I think I'll probably just get the shop to put on a small grind to fit. Several people spoke very highly of the shop owner son's ability to create a perfect fit.  While I am very familiar with the SIMS archery products and have been extremely pleased with them, I have never had the chance to use one of these recoil pads. I hear they work as advertised. Thoughts?

Huntsman1

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 06:58:25 PM »
Well I'm glad I hadn't lost my mind after all! I think I'll probably just get the shop to put on a small grind to fit. Several people spoke very highly of the shop owner son's ability to create a perfect fit.  While I am very familiar with the SIMS archery products and have been extremely pleased with them, I have never had the chance to use one of these recoil pads. I hear they work as advertised. Thoughts?
To answer your question st8man, For me, They work like a hot damn ;) I have two Precision fits, one on my Encore(209x50 & .300Win. mag) and the other on my Win.1200 slug gun. Talk about removing any potential resource for "flinch".
Thats my .02 cents :)