Author Topic: M70 Rifle Barrel Stamp "mistake"  (Read 695 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
M70 Rifle Barrel Stamp "mistake"
« on: March 11, 2007, 03:09:07 AM »
The barrel of my Win. 270 Model 70 Classic "Featherweigh" is not completely stamped and the final "t" (Featherweight) is missing.  Even part of the final "h".  Does that happen a lot?  Shoots great though and I'm keeping it...

Offline rt_con

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: M70 Rifle Barrel Stamp "mistake"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 07:29:14 AM »
Landowner,
I just sold a M70 Classic Featherweight in 7mm-08 a few weeks ago and I remember the "CLASSIC FEATHERWEIGHT" stamp on the barrel with the same lettering type,  i.e. not having the "FEATHERWEIGHT" in italics as yours appears.  However it was clearly all there. My rifle was made 3 yrs ago.  Is your's new ?  I'm guessing Winchester has a roll stamps for these barrel markings.. and they change to a new one when they wear out .. looks like they were ready for a new one.    That or the stamp wasn't applied properly.

I have old Winchester's (M12's) where the serial numbers show lighter at the end of the number string..and difficult to read.. simliar to that.

BTW, I also had a M70 Classic FWT in .270 That I purchased new in the late '80's.  Sold it to a hunting buddy.. (my mistake)  it was the push feed type and what a great shooter !  I'm still working on him to get it back. ;D

Good luck with your's... Rob 
Rob C

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: M70 Rifle Barrel Stamp "mistake"
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 07:49:50 AM »
Not new rt...G21515 serial number on barrel and last three digits matching number etched on the bolt.  Don't exactly know when it was made but I have owned it for 17+ years and it was used when I purchased it. 

By reloading, I help it shoot better than the last owner ever thought it could.  His mistake.