Author Topic: Hunting in Colorado  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Old Moss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting in Colorado
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »
Hi Gents.  I have a question or two, that has been probably been asked 1M times I'm sure.  And one(s) which probably do not have an easy answer.  I just moved to Colorado, just South of Denver.  Lived here about 26yrs ago great place to hunt then.  To my Questions:

1.  How in the heck do I figure out the Regulations I can't even tell how to buy a license?  ???

2.  I do not want a guide or to lease or pay for a hunt (just can't afford it),  Can I still hunt in Colorado? :(  Sure don't seem like it.

3.  I would just as soon meat hunt as anything Not that I wouldn't take a trophy but not first or second on my agenda

4.  I would rather help cull out spikes and does/cows more than anything; plus my #1 passion is predator hunting!  But again I can't figure out where to even try to go.  Either it is mountains or privately owned land, not the most optimal for coyotes,  Don't give away any of your "Honey Holes"  But any recommendations on where I can start scouting for Coyote, Fox, Bobcat, & Elk & Mule Deer would be greatly appreciated!  ;D ;D   Thanks OLD MOSS
Best regards, be safe, and keep your powder dry!
Thanks Old Moss

Offline GANDER

Re: Hunting in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 03:02:11 AM »
Hi Gents.  I have a question or two, that has been probably been asked 1M times I'm sure.  And one(s) which probably do not have an easy answer.  I just moved to Colorado, just South of Denver.  Lived here about 26yrs ago great place to hunt then.  To my Questions:

1.  How in the heck do I figure out the Regulations I can't even tell how to buy a license?  ???
The regulations are complicated depending on the species youa re wanting to hunt. What eactly are you trying to figure out maybe I can help you put in real "man" terms. It takes several years to draw some primo tags so what i did when I first moved out here was started to gather preference points. I would at that time put in for a primo tag which I knew I wouldnt draw first choice then second choice I chose a tag I could draw with NO PP's. Then i would get a tag and a PP. now adays you can put in for a PP first choice.
2.  I do not want a guide or to lease or pay for a hunt (just can't afford it),  Can I still hunt in Colorado? :(  Sure don't seem like it.
There is alot of National forest land which is all public, along with BLM and state land also.My best advice is to get a gazzette atlas and start looking at the long before you ever step foot in the field. That is a GREAT scouting tool. You can tell if there is public land, the size of it, water near by and what the terrain is. etc. There are plenty of areas to hunt. You have to do some leg work get in off the beaten path to be really productive.
3.  I would just as soon meat hunt as anything Not that I wouldn't take a trophy but not first or second on my agenda. me too but I won't pass up a monster if he walks my way.

4.  I would rather help cull out spikes and does/cows more than anything; plus my #1 passion is predator hunting!  But again I can't figure out where to even try to go.  Either it is mountains or privately owned land, not the most optimal for coyotes,  Don't give away any of your "Honey Holes"  But any recommendations on where I can start scouting for Coyote, Fox, Bobcat, & Elk & Mule Deer would be greatly appreciated!  ;D ;D   Thanks OLD MOSS
If you are looking for coyotes go east and south from your house. The lands down around lamar are loaded with dawgs and there is some public spots. But chasing down a rancher isn't too hard and MOST of them will be glad to have you. I personally am a big time goose hunter. most of my spots are freebies. I am always asking. If someone has 20 acres behind their house in a primos spot. Most guys would over look these but I ask anyway.

Just keep trying to figure the regs out and spend some time. It is overwelming at times but keep looking. the biggest thing is to find your own little honey holes and KEEP THEM TO YOURSELF!Ther are some very quality animals in our state and some places to find them. But your first hunt isn't hunting them it's finding them. GOOD LUCK!

Offline BeanMan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 05:28:22 AM »
Old Moss,

It kind of depends on what you want.  If you just want a bull license then you can buy one, over the counter for the majority of units,  before the season for the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons.  Some units are draw only and they should be listed on the first page of the elk draw units. There are no over the counter bull tags for the first elk only rifle season and for the 4th season.  If you want to hunt in the 1st or 4th rifle seasons then you will have to apply for a bull tag (or cow tag or either sex tag)  through the drawing.  Most of them are a sure deal to draw.  If you want a cow tag or to try for an either sex tag then you will also have to apply for them unless you trust your luck to purchase a leftover (one that wasn't sold out during the draws) which is not a good idea. 

Here is a link to how many preference points it took to draw an elk tag in all units last year. 
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/6BC03F21-6EF5-4F9C-AFF0-B8F6444BBD7B/0/Elk_PP06.pdf

drop me a line in you need more help  fjudson@bresnan.net

BeanMan

Offline Turtle

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 10:59:55 AM »
Don't forget your "Habitat Stamp".  You can get written up if you don't have that in addition to your license.  You'll need one for the small game you mentioned and then yet another one when you go Elk hunting.  >:(

-Turtle-

Offline Old Moss

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 06:07:58 AM »
Turtle, Beanman, Gander,  Thanks I appreciate the help!!!  ;)  I will be starting to scout here pretty soon.  I will post any luck I have later this fall.  Thanks Old Moss  :)
Best regards, be safe, and keep your powder dry!
Thanks Old Moss