Author Topic: Groundhog hunting in Pa.  (Read 4725 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Groundhog hunting in Pa.
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »
I live in Scottdale Pa about 50 miles south east of Pittsburgh. I am looking for someone I can go groundhog hunting with this spring and summer. Thanks Dale.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Groundhog hunting in Pa.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 03:05:05 PM »
Wish I could help you out. We have plenty here in the flatlands.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 06:30:07 PM »
I have found one person to go ground hog hunting with but it would be better with three. ;D
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 05:06:50 PM »
Dale I have an intrest in hunting/shooting PD. I have put my name on the alternate list for the GB shoot but would be surprised if that many canceled. Do you have any particulars on the hows or wheres yet. ie camping, motel ,public ,private. Contact me thanks Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »
If you drive about half hour north of Reading I'd love to help.
NRA Member

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »
I am going to have to look at a map and see where reading is but yes I am interested.

Offline atitagain

• Trade Count: (67)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:51:33 PM »
   I have a brother who lives in Spring Church (Good luck finding that one on the map), not too far from Apollo.
Is that anywhere near your area?? ???
I carry a single shot.
'cause it only takes one shot.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 04:14:22 PM »
I think Apollo is about 70 or 80 miles from me.

Offline The Gamemaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 05:34:30 PM »
It's hard to find good places to hunt groundhogs in south west Pennsylvania because of urban sprawl.

Most of the land is now posted no hunting or no trespassing.

You need to get further north - like Indiana County or Blair or Cambria to find places to hunt that is large enough for more than one person.

3 people would be pretty hard, even where I live because there would not be enough groundhogs to go around and people moving around would mess up your hunting because the groundhogs have very good eye sight and after you shoot a couple of them - you educate them and they get harder and harder to find.

A smart groundhog that has been shot at before remembers what a gun shot sounds like and heads for the hills after the first shot.

Offline ollie111

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »
I live near delmont, not to far, love blasting hogs. We try to shoot them at long range but sometimes all it is is shooting. Get back to me and we'll get together.
                                           Brad

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
We are almost neighbors. Delmont is only 30 miles from me. I would be happy to meet up with you and shoot some Groundhogs. I have a few farms around here that I hunt. I killed over 60 last year. Dale

Offline pahardwoods

• dont worry bout it
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:18:36 AM »
60 hogs is a pretty good number. i live in fox chapel/dorseyville and i use rim fire around home becuase of the restrictions. i can make a 15-30 minute drive to freeport and up into butler area to get some good ol big hogs with distances touching 350 yards.i suggest heading up that way
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
i grew up in Tioga county,Mansfield to be specific....back in those days all the farmers were very receptive to folks shooting woodchucks. When a holstein steps in ahole and breaks a leg that's pretty much the end for them.Groundhog hunting amounted to me and my buddy getting in the car and driving the back roads,see a chuck in a field,stop the car,use the car hood for a rest,take a shot.One of my favorite things would be to have one run to the hole,put the crosshairs right where his chest would be if he stood straight up in the hole,and then give a short,high pitched whistle....sometimes they pop straight up into the crosshairs,kapow,great fun. We would always see chucks but some days not get a shot.In the spring and summer we did this EVERY evening...after hunting chucks with your deer rifle all summer the front shoulder on a whitetail is awful easy to hit.  Mike

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 11:59:42 AM »
I live in a very rural area. I have permission from nearly all the farmers for miles around to shoot their Groundhogs. I bet I have well over 1,000 acres of prime Groundhog real estate for hunting. Dale

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 02:02:51 PM »
that's the way it was for us, and the same for deer hunting...we hunted(respectfully) on other folks property with no need to get permission..the sixties and early seventies. I hunted does(legally) on my grandfather's friend's farm....leave home,drive 5 miles,take a short walk,bang,field dress her and drag her to the car,home by noon.......

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 04:32:46 PM »
Its so good to read that there are woodchucks!

Here in CT the chuck is almost gone due to the coyotes that have taken over.

I have a farm to hunt on but the only chucks are hiding by the barn so to speak.   We used to drive to Eastern NY or VT and get lots of shooting.

Woodchuck hunting is a great rifle sport.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
Its so good to read that there are woodchucks!

Here in CT the chuck is almost gone due to the coyotes that have taken over.

I have a farm to hunt on but the only chucks are hiding by the barn so to speak.   We used to drive to Eastern NY or VT and get lots of shooting.

Woodchuck hunting is a great rifle sport.
There is no lack of them here. I have the farmers complain I did not get them all. I tell them it is not from lack of trying. Dale

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 05:02:30 PM »
your  going to have to get  one with  that shot  gun

now  you will  have to be a hunter.....not a shooter

i  am not familiaer  with them....what  size  shot??  any  suggeations??      20 gage
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »
The real fun comes from hunting them with a pistol, you don’t get many shots, and most of them are misses, but when you do nail one you get some bragging rights. I use my Dan Wesson with a 6 inch barrel, loaded with Lyman 155 Gr, G/C bullets, when you hit one it pretty much messes there day up.