Author Topic: Fixed 6x Scope?  (Read 2063 times)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
Fixed 6x Scope?
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:13:37 AM »
Your thoughts and experiences with 6 power scopes. (Fixed power)
I have been thinking agout a 6x scope for my 7mm-08 handi rifle.
Don't like haveing to think what my 3-9 is set on in the moment.(when the shaking starts)
I have been looking at the swift 6x40.
Reciently found the konus 6x40. Any body have experience with them.
I do know that leupold makes some nice 6 power scopes but I don't want to spend that much.

Offline RodBuster

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fixed 6x Scope?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »
No question a 6x is plenty to hit a deer size animal out to many hundred yards.

I like more power for the time when you want to see a little more detail. Such as, a group of antelreless deer at 250 yards. Which one is the adult, and which one is a yearling. Or, if hunting in PA you need to clearly identify 3 points on a side.

I would suggest you set a variable on a lower setting, and only change if the situation allows you the time to do so.

Either way, spend as much money as you can (within reason) you'll always be happy with your purchase.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 06:47:40 AM »
I usually take my 10x binoculars.
Try not to point my gun at things before I know what they are.
There are hunters ALL AROUND durring deer season here.

Offline RodBuster

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 06:53:51 AM »
I do not promote identifying objects with a scope either. But once the ID is made it is handy to see whats going on with your scope, that's all i am saying.

Offline jim dab

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 07:09:53 AM »
PartsMan with dollars in mind buy the fixed power. If you are spending "X" amount on optics you will get better optics with a fixed power. Hell I leave mine set at 4-6 power 90% of the time anyway.

Jim
Alberta

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 08:10:10 AM »
I have a 3-9x40 scope that works fine.
I want a fixed power so that I always know what it is let on.
They also don't have near as many moveing parts.( rugged and hold zero )
Plus this is a open hammer rifle and power rings get in the way of the hammer.
I also think that over time that a person could "judge" distance and size.
I have a 4x32 and like it but it's not quite enuff.
I left my 3-9 on 5 or 6 this deer season and didn't have any trouble.

I have desided that I want one. I just need help on witch one.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »
For the money it's hard to beat a Weaver K-6
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2524
Pretty light too.
If you look around or post and AD you can find a used one for a little cheaper too, probably under $100 or so.

-Aaron

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 02:25:10 PM »
I like a fixed power scopes and a fixed 6 is a great choice.  Even though the decent quality variables today are very reliable and are often exceptional bargains, there is something appealing about a simple, rugged, constant scope.  I like the Nikon Monarch and the Sightron SII, but have heard nothing but good about the Weaver K6, which is generally more economical.  I intend to buy a Weaver someday also.
Hats off to you on not using your scope as a binocular!
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 03:05:29 PM »
I used a fixed 6X36AO Compact for years on my Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08 and found it to be perfect.
I currently have a 6X42AO on my T/C Benchmark 22LR and a fixed 6X36 on my Rem SPR18 in .223. I truly like a fixed power scope.
I don't think you will go wrong with a 6 power.

Dennis  ;)

Offline k3yston3

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 09:50:33 PM »
My primary hunting rifle wears a 6x Burris Fullfield.  This is an older fullfield, not a ff2.  I've thought about changing it, but it has been reliable for me on the two different rifles that I've had it on.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 03:17:23 AM »
Thanks guys
I guess I am not the only crazy one wanting fixed power.
looks like I have some more research to do.
Josh

Offline Zachary

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 07:21:05 AM »
Take a look at the Leupold VX-II and VX-III, depending on how much money you are willing to spend.  Yes, the Leupold's will cost more, but they are about the only scope in 6x that I trust.  Otherwise, if 4x was enough, I would get the Nikon Monarch.

Zachary

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »
Handi Rifle and Leupold might be a mismatch.  There are plenty of quality used 6x available, just look around.  BTW, fixed power scopes often have larger internal lenses, no moving parts to mess up, and are generally more durable, even inexpensive ones, because of it.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 12:44:20 PM »
Zachary, I thought the leupold VX series were variables.

Partsman, I too like a fixed power scope and 6x is a favorite of mine. I have 2 swift 6x40's and they are a great scope for the money. They both have given me very good service. The older weavers were good in the 6x but I have not used a newer one.

Another option would be to look on the used market for a leupold M8 6x36 or 42. They are great scopes and you can usually pick them up used for less than 200.00 They carry leupolds lifetime quarantee even if purchased used. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 05:41:46 PM »
That scope is just awesome (the Nikon Monarch 6x42).  Leupold also has good fixed scopes, but I would get that Monarch.  I own many Monarch variables, and they have never let me down...never.  And I too have bought many of my Nikons from Jon at the Optic Zone.

Zachary

Zachary, what changed your mind?  You only trust 4X Monarchs now?

Parts Man,
Burris, Weaver, Sightron, Nikon, all make fixed power scopes that will serve you very well.  I have or have had examples of each with no problems.  You have plenty of excellent choices in a wide range of prices.  John Barsness speaks highly of the Weaver K6.  I have a K4 which is a nice simple, durable scope.  I would expect the same of the K6, and have one on my shopping list.  I wouldn't hesitate to give Swift a try either.  I like the prices and service at The Optic Zone, but I don't believe they sell Swift.  EABCO is usually good for Swift products.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 03:56:04 AM »
My local gun shop has carried swift for years.
They claim the guarinty is very good.(no questions ask)
$100 for the 6x40.
That seems fair so I'll probably go with it.
That burris looks like a one piece tube though.
Makes it seem more rugged.

Offline ken2222

• Trade Count: (23)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 04:04:57 AM »
Look for a used M8 Leupold...make sure it is a 6x42 MM you just can't beat 'em...

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 06:25:27 AM »
Partsman, like I said I have 2 swift 6x scopes. One is on a CZ527 in 223 the other on a TC carbine barrel in 223. Here in the part of Alaska where I live it is rainey and overcast most of the time. There may be brighter and clearer scopes than the swift but not for 100.00$. I believe the swift is and excelent buy. The new weavers are said to be very good but they will cost a little more money. In the 100.00 price range I don't believe the swift can be beaten.  ;D Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 06:38:48 AM »
That scope is just awesome (the Nikon Monarch 6x42).  Leupold also has good fixed scopes, but I would get that Monarch.  I own many Monarch variables, and they have never let me down...never.  And I too have bought many of my Nikons from Jon at the Optic Zone.

Zachary

Parts Man,
Burris, Weaver, Sightron, Nikon, all make fixed power scopes that will serve you very well.  I have or have had examples of each with no problems.  You have plenty of excellent choices in a wide range of prices.  John Barsness speaks highly of the Weaver K6.  I have a K4 which is a nice simple, durable scope.  I would expect the same of the K6, and have one on my shopping list.  I wouldn't hesitate to give Swift a try either.  I like the prices and service at The Optic Zone, but I don't believe they sell Swift.  EABCO is usually good for Swift products.
When I was lookin for a nice 6X I ended up with the Nikon Monarch. Looked thru a bunch then and since then, still feel I made the right decision. ;D
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Zachary

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »
Zachary, I thought the leupold VX series were variables.

You are correct.  The VX are the variable, and the FX are fixed.  I meant to say FX.

Zachary

Offline Zachary

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 12:39:05 PM »

Zachary

Lol.  I never changed my mind.  Personally, I like variable scopes, although a fixed scope has its place.  As for Leupold and Nikon, they are both excellent scopes, and both have certain highlights that I may like for certain guns/hunting purposes.

Zachary

Offline Zachary

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »

Zachary

Parts Man,
When I was lookin for a nice 6X I ended up with the Nikon Monarch. Looked thru a bunch then and since then, still feel I made the right decision. ;D

I didn't know that Nikon has a Monarch in a fixed 6x.  I've must have missed that.

Zachary

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »
Weaver K6...$120-$130......very bright, clear, scope............

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 08:09:54 AM »
Almost all of my scopes are fixed power, mostly various 4x scopes, but I like the 6x for longer shots.  Leupold is good (but WAY overpriced), I have Sightron, Nikon, Burris, and Weaver and love them all.  The Weaver K6 is the absolute best buy for the money you can get in a 6x scope.  Light weight, length is just about right, 3" of eye relief (maybe a bit more), fully multi-coated optics, lifetime warranty.   I've looked at the Swifts, I haven't been that impressed with them.  If you are on a budget, you might try to find an older Simmons Pro-Hunter in 6x (EBAY), they are out there, and really were a good value for minimum $$.  I've seen the Weavers for under $130 shipped, you'll have to shop around.