Author Topic: they shoot high  (Read 1280 times)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
they shoot high
« on: March 13, 2007, 06:41:29 AM »
  I have three Pardner shotguns. 20-28-410. They all shoot about 18 inches high at 20 yards. Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks for your help.
    bobg

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: they shoot high
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:09:06 AM »
I took mine on a trip to Africa and noticed the same thing.

My Handi came as a 3 barreled package with a 12 ga barrel, 243 with scope, and a .50 cal muzzle loader.  Mine has a monte carlo stock, which I think affects the sight picture and makes the shotgun barrel aim high.  I think the MC stock is OK for the .243 with scope, but too high for proper alignment for the shotgun barrel bead.

I've been thinking about modifying the stock to lower my eye alignment, or else installing a Red Dot scope which will sit higher on the barrel and may offer more accurate sight alignment.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:40:11 AM »
Nothing personal here but if you have 3 different guns all shooting high at 20 yards it might be you. I have a 20 gauge and a .410 and they both shoot POA at 20 yds. That is with slugs and shotshells. As I said, nothing personal meant, just my 2 cents worth.

Spanky

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 11:00:35 AM »
I checked the H&R barrel accessory web site, and it said the following regarding shotgun barrels:

"Monte Carlo stocks preclude the effective use of barrels with bead sights."

That confirms my suspicion about the Monte Carlo stocks on Handi rifles, when using an accessory shotgun barrel.

Do you have 3 different complete shotguns, or a Handi rifle with 3 shotgun barrels?

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 06:02:50 AM »
        These are 3 differant complete shotguns. I don't think it is me. I have four other shotguns and they all shoot where i point them.
                bobg

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
Without knowing for sure, it sounds to me like sight alignment and sight picture for the H&Rs, must be different from your other shotguns.  If so, I think it can be corrected by changing sights and eye alignment on your H&Rs. 

Here's some ideas:

1.  Adding a second bead on the barrel for better visual alignment.
2.  Install a vent rib to raise sight picture and ensure better alignment
3.  Elevate your sight picture with a Red Dot Scope
4.  Lower the cheek piece and drop on the stock

I'm no pro, so these are just my thoughts for consideration.

Hope it helps.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
    Is it possible to buy a higher front sight for these guns? Does anyone know the thread of the sights?  Looks like a higher sight would fix my problems.
                bobg

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 02:19:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can buy one directly from H&R/nef
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 04:13:26 PM »
There are several after martket sights out there that would work.  I like the True-Glow sights myself.  I forgot what the thread pitch is but I'm sure you can find that info on the FAQ section.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 05:20:58 AM »
    Is it possible to buy a higher front sight for these guns? Does anyone know the thread of the sights?  Looks like a higher sight would fix my problems.
                bobg

H&R/NEF puts some tall bead sites on some of the 410's, I'm sure if you called them and told them your problem, they would probably mail them to you for free. That is what I would do first. These beads sit up about 1/4" or so, and would be the same thread pitch. The H&R/NEF toll free number is in the H&R/NEF Center Fire Forum FAQ's. Good luck!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 06:17:22 AM »
Called H&R today. They told me i would have to send the guns back to be fixed. Think i'll look around for an after market front sight.
    bobg :(

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 07:21:17 AM »
 :(
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 08:39:05 AM »
You are right spanky. It is me. Not like my other shotguns. Just throw them up and everything lines up. Not the H@R. Have to make a real effort to line up the front sight. When i do they shoot great.
               bobg

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »
On thing that might be missed here is the statement that shotguns print high does not mean that it is shooting to the wrong point of impact. Most shotguns will print their pattern directly above the point of aim (bead)and that is what they are meant to do, it wouldl appear that the pattern is sitting on top of where to bead was pointed. In truth shotguns are said to be "pointed" at the target rather than aiming them as you do a rifle. As you swing on a target most have been properly taught to keep the target, bird, rabbit, clay pigeon etc. on op of the bead and to swing through the target as you PULL not squeeze the trigger. Shotguns are primarily made to shot a mass pellets that spread out at moving targets. If the point of impact was centered on where the bead was instead of above the bead at least 1/2 of the pellets would be below the intended target. What you say about the shotgun printing the center of it's pattern above the point of aim may simply mean the gun is properly adjusted. If you want to shoot slugs and have them impact at the position the bead "aimed" the barrel can be adjust by judicious bending. That and the how to has been discussed here before. The 18" high at 20 yards does seem excessive if that is the center of the pattern but as someone else here suggested it could be the fit of the gun to the shooter and the way the gun is shouldered and lined up prior to firing. I suggest you have someone else shoot the same guns and see if their results are the same. Good luck....<><....     :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley