Author Topic: good deal on 16 ga.?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
good deal on 16 ga.?
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:01:27 AM »
I am looking for a 20 ga. but in the process saw a 16 ga. in local pawn shop, wood stocks blue plain barrel, not sure what choke though. I think its a Pardner from comparing pics on the H&R site.  Looked to be in good condition but I didn't even handle it since at the time I wasn't interested.  I could get it for about $80 but still would have to send it in for barrel fitting, etc.  Would that be a good deal considering the cost of getting the new 20 ga. barrel? Not sure I need a 16 ga. barrel, so what is that worth?

thanks for the advice!

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: good deal on 16 ga.?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »
Jal5 I feel that is a good price for a used Pardner in 16 gauge especially since there are not many 16's out there and they are difficult to buy used. I wukld suggest you buy it and sell me the barrel ( ;D) for a reasonbale price and then look for the more common 20 gauge barrel on this site. I will check and see if I myself have an extra 20 gauge barrel I would be willing to swap for that 16 gauge barrel, if you get back there check the first 2 letters on the reciever to find out what year the gun was made in and check the ckoke and get beck, please. Of course I believe a new Pardner is only about $109 now at WalMart if you have one near you that still sells guns. If that gun is in good condition it very well might be worth it but not if you have to send in for a new 20 gauge barrel. You might just continue look around for a used 20 gauge Pardner....<><.... :) Jal5 I feel that is a good price for a used Pardner in 16 gauge especially since there are not many 16's out there and they are difficult to buy used. I wukld suggest you buy it and sell me the barrel ( ;D) for a reasonbale price and then look for the more common 20 gauge barrel on this site. I will check and see if I myself have an extra 20 gauge barrel I would be willing to swap for that 16 gauge barrel, if you get back there check the first 2 letters on the reciever to find out what year the gun was made in and check the ckoke and get beck, please. Of course I believe a new Pardner is only about $109 now at WalMart if you have one near you that still sells guns. If that gun is in good condition it very well might be worth it but not if you have to send in for a new 20 gauge barrel. You might just continue look around for a used 20 gauge Pardner....<><.... :)

OK, Jal5, I have a 20 gauge modified choke barrel which measures 25.5", I beliueve they call it a 26" barrel. It is in great shape and takes up to 3" shells, it is in great condition and came from the factory on a 2004 frame. If you are interested in some sort of barrel swap for the 16 get back to me on barrel condidtion and specifics, length, choke, condition, serial#/year....Thanks.........
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:13:01 PM »
That is a good deal on a 16 gauge, used or not.  The 16 gauge usually is a full choke shotgun.  I have a used Iver Johnson Champion 16 ga I bought in my local shop for $70 out the door.   I recommend you buy the 16 ga, as it will do anything a 20 ga will do but shoot slugs.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 01:04:16 PM »
Yup, and if he still wants a 20 gauge I can most likely swap him a like new 20 gauge barrel for the 16 gauge barrel!!!....<><... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 01:17:08 PM »
You canshoot slugs through a 16ga. A lot of companies make a 16ga foster type slug. I bought the last 16ga slugs I had at K-Matr on end of season clearance.  http://www.chestnutridge.com/images/inv/AS16005.jpg  These are 1 example
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »
 it will do anything a 20 ga will do but shoot slugs.

ST762
[/quote]

What Da Ya Mean...They will take slugs, too.  Just have to find the one it likes.  Great guns!!

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:30:46 PM »
My 16 gauge H&R/NEF with a full choke shoots slugs like a rifle!!!....<><.... :)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 05:30:25 PM »
Its not slugs I am interested in for this gun. My objective was to set up a turkey gun for my wife a 1st time hunter.  So the 20 ga. with screw in choke for turkey seemed right to me. Maybe a full choke barrel would be OK too. How is the recoil in the 16 and could it be OK for turkeys??

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 04:10:38 AM »
I would not hesitate to use my full choke 16 Pardner for turkeys but since it is for your wife, and a first time hunter to boot I think the 20 gauge might be much better for her, there is also a much larger choice in ammo avaialble for the 20. Depending on what distance you think your shots might be the choke could vary but most use full or better for turkey hunting and many are now reverting back from the XXfull chokes to a standard full choke ariound here, they feel the pattern is better (more even) and a bit larger which equates to a better chance of getting a turkey. A H&R barrel with a screw in choke would be fine but a nice 22" 20 gauge full choke barrel shooting standard 2 3/4" loads should do well for her. There may be a short 20 gauge full choke out there foir you but they are a bit difficult to come by. almost but not quite as hard to find as the 16 gauges. Especially this time of year when it seems everyone is looking for just that, a short, full choke 20 gauge barrel, they seem to be the up and coming thing for turkey hunting and are getting more and more popular all the time. I think there a couple of posts right now in the classifieds trying to buy one, however many here would rather trade than sell...Good Luck. My offer still stands for the 20 gauge like new modified barrel but I would suggest if you get a chance to get a short barrelled 20 with a full choke jump at it. I also suggest you buy that 16 if it is in good shape and trade the barrel for what you want...Good Luck....<><.... :)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 09:54:26 AM »
Thanks Andy for the feedback.  I agree that my wife would prefer the 20 ga. for turkeys and the full choke sounds like the way to go . That being the case your 20 ga. barrel won't do it.  My next stop will be to Cabelas here and see what they have in stock, if there is a full choke 20 ga. I may just buy that one. Not too many gunshops here and they are far apart too so barring finding a deal on this or one of the other sites I have advertised on for the barrel, I may have to buy new if they have it!

My other thought was to buy a used handi in 223 they had at Cabelas then send it in for the 20 ga. barrel, that way we each get a "new" gun.  the turnaround time at the factory is what is putting me off that idea since our turkey season opens in little more than a month.

Joe

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 10:04:11 AM »
I really do think a short 20 gauge full choke barrel is the way to go for what you want and understand not wanting the modified, I agree it is not what you need for turkey hunting. I do know someone on the forum that may be induced to trade his favorite 20 gauge 22" full choke H&R barrel for the barrel on that 16 gauge. If you are interested I will e-mail him and have him contact you on the site, that way you could end up with a 20 gauge full choked short barrelled Turkey gun for your wife (and you also when she is not using it) for your $80 investment in the used H&R you saw. I will send him an e-mail in case he has not been checking the forum lately if that deal may interest you. He likes his short full choked 20 gauge barrel, and if you have been watching the classifieds you have seen they are in demand, but I also know he has been looking for a 16 gauge barrel for a while now. Let me know if you want me to e-mail him. If this were to work out you could be shooting the 20 gauge full choke gun in a week or less....<><.... :)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »
yes please email him and maybe we can work something out  ;)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:39 AM »
OK Jal5, I'll get on it right now....<><.... :)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 11:34:47 AM »
message sent, now to sit and wait....<><.... :)

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:05 PM »
ok, guys, i surrender. i presented my words badly. well, the guy knows he can shoot 16 ga slugs now......
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »
Jal5, if you have a chance to get a 20ga FULL choke barrel, snatch it up.  26" or 22" no matter, SNATCH IT UP.  They are really hard to find.  I was real lucky to get my hands on one.  Especially if you get a chance at a 22".  I don't know if they have any left at H&R, but they only put those on the Youth Turkey gun for production models and they aren't building those anymore.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 03:27:06 PM »
Jal you've got a PM.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:40 AM »
markus- PM back at you.

Joe

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 04:13:16 AM »
I bought the 16 ga, and its not in bad shape at all, some minor surface scratches but very good condition. Its one of the new ones too. Now I am working out a trade for the barrel that I want and thanks to all who have assisted in this project.

The stock has a round medallion with "Limited Edition H&R/NEF" on it, is that unusual or special significance? Its an otherwise regular wood stock and forend, shnable type.

Joe

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 06:12:46 AM »
I hope things work out and each of you fine gentlemen end up what you want,
you each have a nice item, it's just the ownership that should be switched!!!!....<><.... ;)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
If you have to stick with the 16 ga it will kill turkeys too, yea yea the ammo is hard to find but it will do the job.  I have use the FIOCCHI GOLDEN PHEASANT SHOTSHELLS before and it's as close to a turkey load you will find for the 16 ga.  Its nickel plated shot and I have patterned my gun with it out to 35 yrds and it did really good.  below are the stats for the Golden Pheasant loads.  Conpared them with a 20ga turkey load and its pretty close.  Now that you got the 16 ga give it a try before you trade it off.  BTW I also have a 26" full choke 20 ga barrel that if you REALLY want I'll trade it for your 16 ga barrel in my book you can't have too many 16 ga shotguns.

16GP 16 2 3/4  Max 1310 FPS 1 1/8  5 or 6 Shot
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
I'm A big old goon and made a really stupid mistake. The barrel I have is a 22" MOD Choke ! I was getting it ready to ship and realised my stupid mistake.. Dave you would really be doing me a huge favor if that trade is acceptable to Jal5. I told him in PM that I would take the whole gun off his hands since I think he might have purchased it based on being able to make the trade with me. I am a bone head.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
A bonehead? Your no bone head, you just made an honest mistake and now it seems as if your owning up to it like a man and trying to make it right..I hope it all works out well for those involved. It looks as if it might, there appears to be another full choke 20 gauge barrel availabe for trade for the 16 gauge barrel....<><.... :)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 01:29:53 PM »
Markus,

Don't worry about the goof up, I appreciate your honest admission.  I still made out OK with the SB1 since it is in good condition.  If I didn't really need a 2o ga. barrel I would just keep the 16 and play around with it to see what it can do.  I am going to think it over. I may take you up Dave on the offer of the full choke 26 in. 20 ga. though. We are moving my mother in law into a nursing home this week so things are hectic here and more than a little distracted right now. I will get back to you on this though.

Joe

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 02:22:20 PM »
Full choke 20"s are not that common in the H&R's, just as 16's are not that common.
If you really want to swap for a 20 gauge full choke barrel I think DaveH's offer might
be the best way to go, and you could still have it in time for Turkey season....<><.... ;)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 03:39:52 AM »
DaveH-

check your PMs

Joe