Author Topic: Simmons Whitetail Classic riflescope:  (Read 2245 times)

Offline coyote trapper1928

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
Simmons Whitetail Classic riflescope:
« on: March 14, 2007, 01:33:10 AM »
 Looks like I can get this scope for around $99.00  brand new.  Is this a good scope  ?
coyote trapper1928

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
Re: Simmons Whitetail Classic riflescope:
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:10:43 AM »
If u r talking about the 6.5x20x50, it's well worth 99.00. The only problem is they won't work well for small targets. Crosshairs are to thick. For big game, should work great.

DM

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 05:29:20 AM »
  Thinking of buying it  to replace my old Redfield  4X  scope on the 30-30. Yes, I know, I don't need a 20 power scope on a 30-30.  I would use the 6.5 setting for Deer hunting and   the higher settings for target practice and Coyote hunting.  My old Redfield just don't bring things close enough for my old eyes :( and the scope keeps going off center.
coyote trapper1928

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
I have two of these scopes. They are an excellent value. One is on a Marlin 917VS and the other is stashed in my safe for use on a Handi Rifle in .223 - as soon as I can find one. They are bright and clear all the way up to 20x.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 08:15:22 AM »
That's a fine scope,especially for $99.  I've had a couple of them, and they served very well.  I will say that scope is WAY WAY to large and powerful to put on a lever action 30-30.  If you want more for that gun, I'd go with a regular 2-7 or 3-9 of some kind.  In that $99 range, you could get a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40.  On the Net, I've seen them for $75-$80 NIB.  9x is more than enough for any shot doable with a 30-30, and you'd still have the low power for fast shots at close range.

Offline dixiedog

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
I have two of these scopes one on my Ultra 243 and one on my sportster 17hmr, they are well worth the money. Well made and have great optics better than some that cost a lot more.

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 02:14:01 PM »
(I just read your post again CT1928 and noticed that you didn't mention the magnification of the scope.  I had assumed you were referring the the WTC 6.5X20X50 which Midway sells after they make a run of them.... )

For the price, I think they are an exceptional value. I also wish the subtension on the cross hairs was smaller, but they are not unuseable by any means.   Read the reviews on this scope at Midway. If the reviews are correct, people love 'em.  Make sure you get high-high rings.
Just my opinion CT1928, but I have to agree with kyelkhunter, that is not the best match up for a 30-30.  3 X 9 magnification is kind of a sweet spot for values in scopes.  That is more than ample magnification for a 30-30 and will sure handle better.  If you put the sun shade on that 6.5 X 20, the scope might be longer than the barrel.  ;D ;D ;D
The new Master Series scopes from Simmons have a lot of new innovations that I want to try out.  I'm not one to turn my nose up on new ideas and technology and I think Meade may have some good ideas there.  Anyway, I bought a new Master Series Pro Hunter 3X9 for $89.  Not world class optics, but not bad either - with a reportedly rock solid adjustment and tracking mechanism, a nice eye box, and also a lense coating that is supposed to perform like the Bushnell Rainguard.  I want to give it a chance.  I haven't tried it out yet, but it just might be a good solid hunting scope.    Good luck!
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

• Contributor
    • North Country Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 01:56:14 AM »
(I just read your post again CT1928 and noticed that you didn't mention the magnification of the scope.  I had assumed you were referring the the WTC 6.5X20X50 which Midway sells after they make a run of them.... )

For the price, I think they are an exceptional value. I also wish the subtension on the cross hairs was smaller, but they are not unuseable by any means.   Read the reviews on this scope at Midway. If the reviews are correct, people love 'em.  Make sure you get high-high rings.
Just my opinion CT1928, but I have to agree with kyelkhunter, that is not the best match up for a 30-30.  3 X 9 magnification is kind of a sweet spot for values in scopes.  That is more than ample magnification for a 30-30 and will sure handle better.  If you put the sun shade on that 6.5 X 20, the scope might be longer than the barrel.  ;D ;D ;D
The new Master Series scopes from Simmons have a lot of new innovations that I want to try out.  I'm not one to turn my nose up on new ideas and technology and I think Meade may have some good ideas there.  Anyway, I bought a new Master Series Pro Hunter 3X9 for $89.  Not world class optics, but not bad either - with a reportedly rock solid adjustment and tracking mechanism, a nice eye box, and also a lense coating that is supposed to perform like the Bushnell Rainguard.  I want to give it a chance.  I haven't tried it out yet, but it just might be a good solid hunting scope.    Good luck!

The barrel is 24 inches long. It's the Winchester Legacy  rifle.  Don't know what a sunshade is. :-[   I have always been a fan of high magnification scopes. Got to be able to see the target ! :D  Plus, the 6. 5 X setting is just 2.5 X above the 4X Redfield that I have now.    I have not seen the scope in person, but I can't imagine that scope much longer than the Redfield. Some, but not that much.
coyote trapper1928

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 02:31:06 AM »
I was joshin' about the being longer than the barrel. That's what those little smiley dudes were supposed to mean. ;D

If you like that scope for your 30-30, by all means, enjoy. 

POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 05:21:58 AM »
That Simmons scope is a beast.  It's long and heavy, and you'd definitely need high or even extra high mounts to clear the hammer on your gun in the rear, and to clear the barrel in the front.  It's 15" long and weighs 22 oz, almost 1.5 lbs.  With the high narrow receiver on your 94, coupled with the need for the high mounts and the scope being high and heavy, I think that keeping the gun from canting to one side or the other while shooting, even on a bench, is going to be an issue.  You might drop a little magnification and go with a 40mm objective lense for a smaller, lighter scope, to get the center of gravity closer to the center point of the rifle.  Cabela's sells the Whitetail Classic in 2-10x44 (a little bit lower mount) or the 3.5-10x40 (lower still), both for about $100.  Looking through a 10x scope at 250 yds (long shot for a 30-30), is like looking at a target at 25 yards with no magnification.  If you can spend more money and want more than 10x, I'd seriously consider the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Compact 3-12x32 scope for $230.  Plenty of power, compact package for your rifle.  You could get by with low or medium mounts too.

Up until recently, most of the snipers in the military shot fixed 10x scopes, enough power for shots much longer than the 30-30 will handle accurately.  The new scope for the Marines is supposed to be the Schmidt & Bender 3-12 variable, from what I've been reading.  I think that 10x-12x would give you all that you need and want.

If the Simmons 6.5x20 is what you want, by all means, get it and be happy.   ;D  I just don't think you'll be happy with it on your lever action gun.  On heavy barrel 22-250, sure.  On a trim gun like yours (even with the long barrel), I think that the gun would handle like a piece of 4x4 lumber.

Offline Cement Man

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 05:55:41 AM »
CT1928,
I just reread your post.  Sorry,  I missed where you said you don't know what a sun shade is.  It is a 3" extension threaded into the bell which will make the scope about 18" long.  Crank the magnification up on that scope and I believe you will surely want that sunshade on the scope to cut down the glare.  I think Kyelkhunter brings up a lot of excellent points.