Author Topic: Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman  (Read 2009 times)

Offline patrickjames

• Trade Count: (0)
Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman
« on: March 14, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »
Can somebody tell me the difference  between the Leupold VX-1 and the Leupold Rifleman scope.I just received a 4x12 Rifleman scope from Cabelas and wonder if I should have spent a little more for the VX-1.
Thanks

Offline Zachary

Re: Leupold VX-1 or Rifleman
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 12:46:20 PM »
I think that one model offers click adjustments, but the other doesn't.  In any event, I wouldn't recommend either.  The lowest Leupold Model I I would recommend is the Leupold VX-II.  But heck, if you are thinking about spending money on a VX-I, take a good hard look at the Nikon Buckmaster (with 92% light transmission) and the Elite 3200.

I would also recommend that you go to www.theopticzone.com, as they have better prices, better service, and, depending on the price of the scope, free shipping.

Zachary

Offline patrickjames

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
Thank You, I will do that.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:11:57 AM »
Patrick,

I have the Leupold II, the Leupold Rifleman, and the Nikon buckmaster scopes.

There is no comparison between the Leupold II scope and the other 2 scopes as far as clairity is concerned. Of course, you are comparing a $450 scope to scopes in the $200 range, what would you expect.

Now as far as the difference between the Nikon and the Rifleman, I can tell you they are pretty much on the same playing field. If I were to buy one over the other today, it would be a 50\50 toss up. I have the Nikon on my Stevens 308 and the Leupold Rifleman on my Pro-Hunter 243. Both hold there zero so no complaints there.

One nice thing about the Leupold is I did spend the $90 and get the raincoat lens kit. In buck season last year, on 2 rainy days I took the 243 instead of the 308 and I gotta tell ya, that rain coat lens does everything it says. Rain like cats 'n dogs and you can see thru it to make the shot. Now, if there were just a buck to shoot at......Leupold won't guarantee that part.

Dave

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »
Rifleman Scopes---  Exactly the same scope as the old Vari-X II scopes, but with a matte finished tube and wide duplex reticle

VX-1 --  Exactly the same as the the old Vari-X II, with a choice of finish and reticle

VX-II -- Exactly like the old Vari-X III, same coatings and adjustments of the III, power ranges of Vari-X II

VX-III --  Same power ranges as old Vari-X III, new coatings and adjustments, tighter tolerances

I'll say that the Nikon Buckmasters has it all over the Rifleman and VX I scopes.  The Nikon is fully multi-coated with click adjustments and 92% light transmission, and a one piece tube.  The Rifleman and VX I are fully coated (not multi-coated), friction adjustments, 87% light transmission and multi-piece tubes.  I've had all three, and I'll take the Buckmasters over the other two all day long.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
Well, there was a reason I left my Nikon multi-coated 92% light transmission scope at home for 2 days. What was that?????? Oh yeah......rain....and lots of it. That multi-coated 5% light transmission difference didn't mean a hill of beans when I was scop'in those doe comin thru the thickits. When my buddies were flickin there scope covers on and off and wipin down the lens'es with there what-ever stuff and moan'in about the d#mn rain and not seein.....I was just wishin it would quit rainin so I could take off the rain hood! If the buck would of been there on that day, I'd rather had the shot with the rain lens than been sayin I should of had the shot if I were not wipin down my scope lens!

I got 'em both. It's a toss up. If I were to just buy a quality 3-9X I would go with the Leupold. If I were to go with a higher power, I would go with a Leupold II or III with a ballistic plex.

Fine optics.

Dave

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
The difference between 87% and 92% transmission is impossible to detect without the proper equipment anyway, so it's really a moot point.  It's just a difference to be pointed out.  As for rain protection, I'm glad that Leupold finally offers an expensive option that has been available on the Bushnell Elites at no extra cost for years now.  ;)   Maybe they were losing a bit of market share?  Hmmm....    Simmons has a coating on the Master Series too, but I've never used those scopes.  Haven't really heard anything at all about the Master Series to be honest.  Seems that QC might be an issue, but if they can get it together, the whole design on the Master Series would revolutionize riflescopes.

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:07:50 PM »
Rifleman Scopes---  Exactly the same scope as the old Vari-X II scopes, but with a matte finished tube and wide duplex reticle

VX-1 --  Exactly the same as the the old Vari-X II, with a choice of finish and reticle

VX-II -- Exactly like the old Vari-X III, same coatings and adjustments of the III, power ranges of Vari-X II

VX-III --  Same power ranges as old Vari-X III, new coatings and adjustments, tighter tolerances
For the most part right on, but not quite.  The Rifleman is indeed the current Leupold scope most like the Leupold Vari-X II, with magnesium flouride lens coating and 1/2 MOA increment friction windage and elevation adjustments.  However, the VX-I has multicoating on exterior lens surfaces and 1/4 MOA increment friction windage and elevation adjustments.  There are a variety of other improvements as well.  http://www.leupold.com/products/Scope_Feature_Matrix.htm
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:29:41 PM »
I agree that the $90 for the raincoat lens appears to be an expensive option, but what you need to remember is that once you buy the raincoat lens, you can now put it on any Leupold scope that you own. Be it an expensive one, or the Rifleman scope. So, now you have the raincoat option for all of your Leupold scopes.

Plus, the lens coatings don't stay on a lens for 15 years. The raincoat material does eventually wear off if you use it heavily. I don't know how long, but that is my understanding. The Bushnell Eliete seires will have the same issue's as "coating stuff is coating stuff".

Dave

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 06:09:42 PM »

For the most part right on, but not quite.  The Rifleman is indeed the current Leupold scope most like the Leupold Vari-X II, with magnesium flouride lens coating and 1/2 MOA increment friction windage and elevation adjustments.  However, the VX-I has multicoating on exterior lens surfaces and 1/4 MOA increment friction windage and elevation adjustments.  There are a variety of other improvements as well.  http://www.leupold.com/products/Scope_Feature_Matrix.htm

That is right, the VX1 lens coating is considerably better than the Rifleman. I would leave the Rifleman out of the picture on future purchases, just my view. I would put the Nikon Buckmasters over the Rifleman & with the higher mags for Varmits I would put the Buckmasters over the VX1 because of the adjustments & side Par. adj., but on a low powered variable, if you need eye relief, then I would put the VX1 well ahead with it's generous eye relief. I put one on a Marlin XLR 45-70 for the stiff loads I shoot & it is a good set up. It is a 2X7 & it is bright well past legal shooting time. In AR. , that is 30 min. after sunset.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 04:21:24 AM »
Yep, as much as I don't care for Leupold, they definitely have the edge on eye relief on the big kickers.  If it's going to stomp your shoulder, having a Leupold will probably keep it from causing plastic surgery on your brow. 

Offline Zachary

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 06:46:50 AM »
I agree.  However, to a degree.  Leupold scopes do in fact offer some of the longest eye relief out there, but not at all magnifications.  For example, at 3x it may be really long at 4.6", but at 10x only 3.6"  When you look at a Zeiss Conquest 3x-9x-40mm, it has 4" of CONSTANT eye relief at all magnifications, which means that this particular Zeiss model has longer eye relief than a particular leupold has at 8x to 10x.   So if you hunt at lower to mid magnifications, then the longer eye relief from the leupolds will be beneficial.

Zachary

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 09:18:26 AM »
The Conquest scopes are probably the best overall choice available, all things considered.  Lots of scopes are cheaper, but when you weigh the performance of the scopes, available models (the real weakness of the Conquest, until this year, was not many choices), eye relief, warranty etc, the Conquest is tops in my book.  I'd love to get my hands on the 4x32 to check it out.

Offline flintlock

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 09:44:27 AM »
Patrick...The biggest drawback I see to the Rifleman is if you want to return to Leupold and change the reticle or change the parallex, they don't do this to those scopes...

I have 3 VX-IIs, all are 10 years old or better, a few years back I replaced the regular Duplex Reticle in two of them to a Heavy Duplex, it makes it easier to see in low light conditions...I also returned a 3x9x33 Compact on my Remington 541 and had it parallex adjusted to 75 yards...