Author Topic: New Apex Today  (Read 712 times)

Offline TMP47

• Trade Count: (0)
New Apex Today
« on: March 15, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
BBT brought me a new apex today. Feels and looks like a nice rifle.I read somewhere about sanding off the spots the barrel touchs. Could someone explain this again in a little more depth. It makes sense but I have never done it and dont want to mess it up. Also what loads are ya guys finding these guns like?  Thanks

Offline dmurphy317

Re: New Apex Today
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 11:15:12 PM »
I haven't sanded my stock any in the barrel channel but heres how I would probably do it. First try the dollar bill test to see if you can pass the bill down the barrel between the barrel and the stock. Note where there is resistance. Get a dowell that is the same size as the barrel (or close to it) and some sand paper and use them to remove a small amount of material from the tight spots. Repeat the dollar bill test until it will pass freely all the way to the front lug. Another way to do it is to use a thin shim between the barrel lugs and the stock to lift the barrel slightly for clearance. I'm not a big fan of that way of doing it but some do have success doing it that way.

Each gun is going to have certain loads that it likes so you will need to find that out for yourself. My Apex likes the 250 Shockwaves over 130gr of pellets. Shoots about 3" at 200 yards. I haven't had a chance to work up any other loads for it yet but it looks promising since that was the first load I tried in it.

Good luck.
David

It's better to shoot for the sky and come a bit short than to shoot for the ground and hit every time. After all, the ground is just a place to start, the sky's the limit.

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:03:17 PM »
Congratulation on your Apex, I have a CVA Kodiak Pro-Magnum and I like the 270 grain Platium Power Belt with 100 grain of loose RS Pyrodex Powder. Hope yours shoots as good as mine you will be happy with it!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:40:12 AM »

I'm really a newbie when it comes to MZ's but...I do like the performance I got with the Barnes Spit Fire TMZ's...http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/muzzleloader/spit-fire-tmz/..They shot great out of my Elite..http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,112267.0.html

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...