Author Topic: Barnes .458 Triple Shocks  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Barnes .458 Triple Shocks
« on: March 18, 2007, 08:22:59 AM »

Jessica of Barnes Bullets was nice to send me some of their fine looking Triple Shocks to try out in my 45-70's...She sent some of the 250 grainers...and some of their 300 grainer...These are some good looking bullets...and man...they have a deeeeeeeeeeep hollow cavity..It's .490" deep for both of them...Here's a couple of pictures of them...the 250 is on the left...and the 300 grainer is on the right...The 250 grainer is .920" long...and the 300 grainer is 1.050" long...I'll be shooting these next week once I receive my 45-70 try barrel that Mark from CVA is graciously is sending me to shoot along with my Marlin XLR...I'll be shooting some of my 300 grain Nosler partitions..some 405gr. Cast Performance hand loads...and some Winchester factory 300 grainers...It should be fun and interesting ;D ;D ;D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Barnes .458 Triple Shocks
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
Mac, those are fine looking bullets, thanks for the photos. I am really interested in the 300's they should carry well, as far out as I would want to shoot a game animal with this round & the 300 will penetrate good as well, since it is a TSX.

These bullets along with your new barrel should provide a heck of an interesting test.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 12:36:06 PM »
Those look real interesting, but they're kinda spendy at almost a buck a piece, Midway shows the 300gr has a BC of .340, which is pretty nice compared to the .199 of the NP, but the Barnes site shows it to be only .163, maybe Ty can shed some light on that when ya talk to him. ???

Thanks,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:03:29 PM »
If you have an old Barnes manual or an old Barnes bullet chart & compare with the BC charts on the new web site, you will see a big difference. Barnes has re-evaluated the BC number for all of the TSX bullets. The BC numbers on the old X bullet were optimistic for
one thing, & the grooves on the TSX increased the drag coef. for another. Some of the TSX, like these .45cal are fairly new & I don't know why the number would not have been figured right to begin with for these. I would like to hope it is a typo, but I bet not.
However, at the yardages that we would be shooting these, it won't matter much anyway. They will fly great out to 250 yards & a little more with hotter loads.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »

Just thought I would give you guys a little sneek peek of the CVA Elite 45-70 barrels... ;) This is what I'll be shooting these Barnes 250 & 300 grainers in this week...

Mac

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »
It looks nice. I am looking forward to this report!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 08:30:27 AM »

Well...My plans for shooting today..got washed out again...The public range closed early yesterday and my morning was all tied up getting my wife a new vehicles ..and had some A/C problems crop up here at home this morning...Just as well...I  want to be able to chronograph my loads any ways..and the public range isn't the best place to do this...They have issues with folks stepping across their lines & chains to adjust things...and can't even go back into the booth until everyone is back from down range...Safety comes first there...and they take no chances of any getting hurt...even if you are the only one there...Makes it hard to get things set up correctly...Hopefully my friend will take me to his private range and I can go into work a little late 1 day this week.. This is just killing me no being able to shoot...:(

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:41:54 AM »
 :'( :-\
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Cknerr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Antique Rifle Restoration
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 04:34:36 PM »
Mac,

If you would pack the bullets and the rifle up and over night it to me. I'll shoot it through my chrony, call you with the results since I know you want them quickly... and then send it all back to you.

You will get your results quickly!

....after all, what are friends for? ;D

no?

Chris K'nerr
Atlanta Woodwright's Studio, Inc.
Acworth, Ga. 30101
678-770-4274
678-574-5522 (h)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »

Thanks Chris...I appreciate the offer...but it won't be necessary. I managed to put a few rounds thru it today...I'm waiting for the pictures to upload then I'll be posting a few pictures of my groups. ;)

Mac