Author Topic: Cannons for noobies  (Read 680 times)

Offline acoop101

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannons for noobies
« on: March 21, 2007, 09:09:39 AM »
I have been looking at the pics that people have been posting and pictures of cannons both modern and historic.
my question is why are there portions of the barrel that are thicker, is this purly to lower the weight of the cannon or is there some reason that the additional strenght is needed. I was going to build a cannon that used a basic pice of 1.25 inch rebar to make a 3/8 bore cannon. Are these thicker walls needed to make a safe cannon?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Cannons for noobies
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »
My question is why are there portions of the barrel that are thicker, is this purely to lower the weight of the cannon or is there some reason that the additional strength is needed.

The barrel is thickest in the area where the explosion of the powder takes place because that is where the greatest strength is needed.  That diameter could be extended all the way to the muzzle but that would make it much heavier and more unwieldly without adding useful strength (it would also add to the cost of the piece.)  Consequently the barrel diameter gets smaller as one advances toward the muzzle.

I was going to build a cannon that used a basic piece of 1.25 inch rebar to make a 3/8 bore cannon. Are these thicker walls needed to make a safe cannon?

1.25" stock for a .375" bore is fine, although I would buy a piece of 1018 cold rolled steel instead of using rebar.  It is my understanding that rebar is sized to provide a nominal strength as opposed to providing a material with nominal properties.  In other words, a piece of rebar will have a tensile strength of 10,000 lbs whether it takes a diameter of .300" or .320" to achieve that strength whereas a piece of 1018 will have a strength of 50,000 psi whether it is .375" in diameter or 1" in diameter.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »
Rebar is wicked soft... easily bent, cut, etc

I have a pile of it in 1 inch sitting near the barn that I use for fence posts around the garden... it deforms pretty easily.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 09:59:02 AM »
Added strength is also needed (often) at the muzzle.  There the bore is only reinforced by adjacent material on one side, so there is often a thicker section right at the muzzle.

Rebar is at the low end of quality for steel.  Go to a numbered steel which has MUCH better quality control.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)