Author Topic: Bounty On Wolves  (Read 661 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Bounty On Wolves
« on: March 22, 2007, 09:07:29 AM »
Our new Drop Dead Gorgious Governor signed the bill yesterday:  Finally a Governor that is an outdoors person.  She hunts and fishes, and does what she thinks will honestly help the people of the state.  Maybe this will make the family of the person killed and eaten by wolves last fall fell better.

Alaska puts bounty on wolves to boost predator control program

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- The state is offering incentives for people who kill wolves in an effort to boost Alaska's predator control program, which so far has failed to meet expected numbers.

"Several factors have led to a low wolf take this winter, so we're going to step up our efforts to meet the annual objectives in this important program," Commissioner Denby Lloyd with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game said in a statement Wednesday.

The program, now in its fourth year and operating in five areas of the state, is designed to increase moose and caribou numbers by reducing the number of predators.

The incentives include offering 180 volunteer pilots and aerial gunners $150 in cash for turning in legs of freshly killed wolves, Gov. Sarah Palin's office announced Tuesday.

The state will use the left forelegs of wolves as biological specimens, which can help biologists determine wolf age and will assist the program in the future, Lloyd said.

Defenders of Wildlife, an advocacy group opposed to the predator control program, said it was outraged by Palin's decision.

"Bounties have no place in modern wildlife management and undoubtedly would lead to the illegal killing of wolves," Karla Dutton, director of the group's Alaska office, said in a statement.

Previously, the only reward was a wolf pelt they could sell, usually for somewhere between $200 and $300, Bruce Bartley, Department of Fish and Game spokesman, told the Anchorage Daily News.

The Palin administration is anteing up cash because the number of wolf kills this winter is behind schedule. State biologists wanted 382 to 664 wolves killed by the time the snow that helps with tracking disappears this spring. The predator-control season ends April 30.

As of Tuesday morning, 98 wolves had been killed by aerial gunners, hunters and trappers.

Pilots have complained that fuel prices are too high to fly and there hasn't been enough snow on the ground to track the elusive animals, said Matt Robus, Division of Wildlife Conservation director. There are also fewer wolves to kill now because of kills in past years, he said.

More than 600 wolves have been killed under the program. The state estimates there are between 7,000 and 11,000 wolves in Alaska.

The Board of Game recently urged Palin to let state staff shoot wolves from helicopters.

Shooting from helicopters that hover close to packs would be more deadly and humane than from the airplanes that are currently allowed, board members have said.

Palin has asked Fish and Game officials to charter helicopters only as a last resort.

The governor prefers cash incentives because they are less expensive than renting helicopters, and the income helps families where the wolf killing occurs, Leighow said.

The state also plans to share information with program volunteers on where the wolves have been spotted.

---

Information from: Anchorage Daily News, http://www.adn.com
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Bounty On Wolves
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:47 PM »
Dogs will be Dogs and what's the problem??????????

The Wolf does not exist on grass, they are carnivores. They eat meat. Sounds like some Human intervention to do what, fight with Nature?

Why the Hell do Humans (Presumably the most intelligent of the Apes) have to intervene with Nature?

Sarah Palin's  plan should include her early demise at the polls.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:09:58 AM »
i can tell bill's hunting area or backyard isnt in wolf country.   God bless the gov..  she is pretty, too. ;)

Offline thxmrgarand

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 04:11:38 AM »
No state has ever had a better gun rights advocate as governor than Sarah Palin.  So far as predator control, she is being advised by as good a staff of wildlife biologists as any government agency is likely to assemble.  Those biologists believe that a population of ungulates can fall so much that predators can keep it from re-expanding to fully utilize the range for decades.  Yes, after 20 years or so the ungulates will likely expand to once again fully utilize the range but 20 years is a long time in the life of a hunting community.  Governor Palin is taking the advice of her biologists and this time I agree with the biologists.  By the way, wolf packs of 15 and even 20 wolves are common in that part of Alaska, and each pack dominates all fauna for about 1,000 square miles.  No one advocates doing away with wolves; they are an unequaled predator and valued by all Alaskans. 

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 06:06:29 AM »
thxmrgarand:  Thank you.  You said a mouth full.  What people in the lower 48, and the city people in alaska can't seem to realise is the problem we are having here in the interior.  Wolves attacking people at rest areas, killing sled dogs in dog lots, one man attacked and killed, then eaten by wolves out on the Tanana river.  That could have easily been any of our highschool cross country skiers.  I've had two differant reports of a large pack numbering 24 animals in the area of my cabin in the Alaska Range.  The Caribou have vertually disappeared in that area.  And any good wildlife management plan requires human intervention at some points.  Mother Natures way goes to the extreame and helps no one.  If left unchecked the large packs of preditors will wipe out the herds that villages are dependent on for food.  The villagers just can't run down to safeway to get steakes, there is no Safeway there.  If the herds fail the villages go hungry.

And this action will keep Sara Palin in good standing at the polls in Alaska.  This is just one of the many reasons we elected her.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 06:59:40 AM »
Yep old will evidently does not have any wolves where he hunts. WI and MN have the same problem and I hunted areas this past fall that there were no deer and I could not figure out why I felt that the deer were killed off by our liberal doe seasons though that never bothered us too much in the past. Finally some one told me if there are a lot of wolves in that area and yes there are that would account for the so few or nonexistant deer. The deer either moving out of the area or getting killed by the wolves. I have to say there was a reason why there were wolfers in the past shooting and poisoning wolves they are too good of a predator and they have to be kept in check. Myself I could give a rats patooti if they were eliminated.

For those that hunt and still think wolves are ok it is a far cry from back in the old days when our country was not that populated and we did not have that many hunters. With the amount of folks who hunt today where there are wolves it is too much I think, you cannot have both and have a good deer herd. I will take the hunters over the wolves.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 07:06:51 AM »
Our new Drop Dead Gorgious Governor signed the bill yesterday

Sourdough, I'll trade you our Gov for yours.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 07:14:52 AM »
+1 jh45gun, We need to get rid of Doyle.

Skunk
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 07:50:31 AM »
jh45gun:  You know I said that on a whim, since my wife was standing here looking over my shoulder at the time.  Actually Sara Palin was a beauty pagent winner not all that long ago.  But she is also one of the smartest women you can ever meet.  She was elected mayor of Wasillia on the platform of cutting their budget. She then turned that town around.  We elected her on her strong views on outdoor and rural issues, her views on what is right and wrong, her platform on gas and oil exploration, and marketing.  We have lots of natural gas that the oil companies have been sitting on for 30 years.  It looks like she is finally getting them to look at marketing it.  Would not be surprised if she finally takes old Senator Stevens place in DC.  She honestly wants to do what is best for our state.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:12:43 AM »

why didnt i think of that

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »
Dang Sourdough you make her sound better and better I will trade you our Governor, Two Past Governors and a future Governor of your choice ;D ;D ;D.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 07:52:36 PM »
Shhhhh skunk or sourdough will not consider the trade.  LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 09:03:04 PM »
The best thing Governor Sarah did during the campaign, was during the last debate when she challenged Tony Knowles (D) and Andy Halcro (left leaning I) if they even had Alaskan hunting and fishing licenses.  They didn't, and she had hers with her.

She needs to replace RINO Sen Lisa Murkowski, not Uncle Ted.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 06:26:17 AM »
Hopefully Bug Eyed Lisa will be replaced while Sara is still in Office.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 09:44:18 AM »
I couldn't agree with our new governors decision and wholeheartedly agree with Sourdough.  I sure didn't like the nepotism with the Murkowski family, but Lisa is doing a good job so far for Alaskans.  Remember she too beat Knowles in her reelection campaign after being appointed.  When you review and look at her record, disregard the emotional opinions, and evaluate, Lisa is doing a better job than her father did.  Try and keep an open mind.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 10:02:09 AM »

Governor Sarah Palin  ;D ;D ;D
    Ray

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2007, 12:45:12 PM »

You guys better Keep the lady around, Sounds like she is working for
 Alaska. We have Senator here in Texas . Kay Bailey- Hutchsons.
 Marv.