Author Topic: NEF Handi or Savage Stevens  (Read 1233 times)

Offline spy231

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF Handi or Savage Stevens
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
Ok, guys. I have decided to get a .243 for the wife. Which do you think? She is use to a bolt b/c I have another Savage and she is use to single shots b/c of my Encore. Which do you guys think is the better value. Not only in price, but accuracy?

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
Re: NEF Handi or Savage Stevens
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:35:33 AM »
I don't know your financial condition, but if it was up to me.   I would get your wife a job and buy something a little bit better that will serve her for many years and also will hold it's retail value down the road.

I wouldn't choose either of them because they are the cheapest guns made.

Don't you love this woman?  Isn't she worth a little more than $225 for a new rifle.

If I bought a single shot it woud be a TC Encore and if I bought a repeating rifle it would be a used bolt action ( Savage Model 110 or Remington Model 700 or Winchester model 70 ) with a scope or a Remington Gamemaster Pump with a scope.

My brother in law told my sister to buy a .243 one year for hunting and the next year he didn't take her hunting anymore and kept the gun and had his rechambered to 7mm08.

Then when they got divorced, he kept her gun and told her that he would kill her if she took any of HIS guns out of the house.

Since in the state of Pennsylvania, possession is 9/10ths of the law and a marriage is 50 / 50
Half of everything they owned belonged to her.

I would have taken them guns to the nearest gun shop and pawned them off.

He hunted in Colorado for 3 weeks every year for Elk and 2 weeks a year in West Virginia for Turkeys and Deer while she was  working and paying all the household bills.

Offline spy231

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
You said you would get a used Savage 110. Am I wrong or is the Stevens 200 not a Savage 110? (Am I thinking of a different Model Savage?)

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:04:05 PM »
Get the Stevens 200. I have a friend that bought one and is very happy with his. Accurate and inexpensive.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:16:54 PM »
  Have her handle both. Maybe even find one of each for her to try and let her decide. I own a Savage 110 and a Handi.  Both are great rifles. The Savage seems to be a little more accurate of the 2 and the shorter length of the Handi is definitly handier (pun intended). If ya wanna make her happy let her choose.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »
  Have her handle both. Maybe even find one of each for her to try and let her decide. I own a Savage 110 and a Handi.  Both are great rifles. The Savage seems to be a little more accurate of the 2 and the shorter length of the Handi is definitly handier (pun intended). If ya wanna make her happy let her choose.

I've been thinking the same thing. Asking us to help him decide what is best for her doesn't make much sence!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 04:27:19 AM »
Same as comments above—it’ll be her gun.  Personally I sold off three Handi barrels and got two 200 s, one in .308 and one in .223.  Both outshot their Handi rifle counterparts and with the 200 you have second, third, and fourth shots if needed.
RJ

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 02:34:40 PM »
i have both rifles and they are both fine for me. i do think the 200 is just a bit easier to shoot accurately. it may be the quicker lock time. i won't sell either. gamemaster, i wouldn't knock either rifle just because they are "cheap". i think they are honest American made products of good quality. easy to get here in Canada.
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 03:19:50 AM »
I would go with the Stevens 200.  I was looking at one in .223 to replace a Handi Ultra Varmint that wouldn't shoot well (very disappointing!).  I ended up with a Savage 11 with the Accu-trigger since the store had one at a very good price.  It is the same gun with a black stock and accu-trigger.  The trigger on the 200 was good, but the accu-trigger was better.  Since they are in the same price range, the Stevens is the better value.