Author Topic: Mouse poison in my dresser drawer  (Read 916 times)

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Mouse poison in my dresser drawer
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:04:11 AM »
I found an open box of Decon (mouse poison) in the "junk" drawer of my dresser. This drawer has stuff in it from my pockets and gets cleaned out from time to time. I stood there staring at the box of poison, trying to remember when and why I had it in my pocket. I finally asked my wife what was going on, and she informed me that she was trying to kill a mouse that only got into that one drawer. At his point I was completely confused and asked her to explain. She proceeded to pull the drawer open and point out the mouse "droppings". A while back, I was shooting some reloads that had enlarged primer pockets. One of the .25-06 rounds had the primer drop all the way out and I had put it in my pocket. That evening I cleaned out my pockets and threw that shell in the "junk" drawer thinking that I would measure the primer cup later to see what was going on. Long story short, I forgot about it and as it jiggled around the drawer from repeated opening and closing some of the powder grains dropped out of the  primer hole into the bottom of the drawer. My wife, who has a fear of mice, just knew my drawer was infested and was taking corrective action.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Mouse poison in my dresser drawer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:44:32 AM »
 :D :D :D That's a great story!  My wife might mistake gun powder for mouse "tracks" but she would notify me and request I take immediate action.   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Will Bison

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:53:51 PM »
Now that is a funny story ;D ;D ;D I can see how extruded powder could look like mouse droppings (which are extruded also).

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:15:38 AM »
Hmm......just how large of a life insurance policy do you have???  Just kidding.  I can see why she'd think it was mouse droppings too. ;D

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 01:08:54 PM »
She is kinda P.O.d about me writing it, she said it made her look stupid.
I thought it was cute.
I have another one I can hang on her concerning the magazine plug out of my 870 pump, but I dare not.
BTW, she is a brunette, not blonde. Go figure.  :)

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Tell the wife that we married guys understand.  My wife is deathly afraid of mice and she made me take everything out of my youngest son's closet one night, catch the mouse, carry it outside and dispose of it and put everything back in the closet, all while he was sleeping in the room and she was up on the couch shivering in fear.

Mice are a Veeeeeeeeery touchy subject in this household.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 05:00:18 PM »
I don't know about the insurance policy, if you can't trust your own wife who can you trust. Now the mother in law is another story. Lets just say around the holidays I wait for everyone else to eat first. ;D
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 04:21:07 AM »
LOL, that could be very true.  Thankfully, my father-in-law divorced my wife's evil step-mother, so I don't have to worry about it.  ;D

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 03:08:11 PM »
Speaking of mouse stories, am I the only one who has had a mouse move into his truck, totally shred his breather filter and stuff it into the heater fan??  I found out about it on the coldest day of winter when my defroster went out.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:00:23 PM »
Had some barn rat's just destroy the interior of a ski boat that we used to keep in our barn.  Had a cover on it but when we pulled the cover off in the spring, the cushions were shredded in several places and there were nests burrowed down in them.  Took about $2K to get it all fixed.  Got a couple of barn cats to take care of the barn rats...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 09:49:16 AM »
I used to be a manager for Valvoline, and one the things I did for a while was run one of the Instant Oil Change stores.  You would be amazed at the crap like that I used to find in car breather's.  I actually found a dead squirrel in one truck's breather.  Who knows how it got there?

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 10:02:42 AM »
That was a toyota turbocharger ;D

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 01:50:55 PM »
  Found a dead and dried out mouse in the breather of my 4-wheeler last summer.  Wife was complaining a few months earlier that the machine was stinking, it smelled like something dead.  Quess it really did, just I could not smell it.

While we were on our last hunt last December, one of my partners was sleeping on the bottom bunk.  About an hour after we had gone to bed, suddenly he screamed, rolled off the bunk onto the floor, screaming all the while as he climbed out of the end of his sleeping bag.  It was funny, and serious at the same time, to see a grown man screaming and tearing his sleeping bag apart trying to get out.  A tiny Vole had run down into the bag as he slept.  He was awakened with something crawling around inside the bag with him.  That was more than he could handle, no way he was going to sleep on that bunk again.  I've had them run across me as I slept in the same bunk at night, but luckily never go into my bag.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »
It does kind of creep you out when you wake up with something crawling on you.  I've woken several times in camp with mice either crawling on me or having crawled on me.  I woke up one time and saw a fat rat sitting on the table in the barn we were camping in....it woke everyone else up when I shot it off the table with a .38.  We always kept a light on in the barn, for bathroom runs at night, or I wouldn't have seen it.  It was a brute, it was well over a foot long, not counting the tail.  Everyone was pissed until they saw what it was.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 03:07:20 PM »
I've had mice crawling on me too. I went camping once with a friend that had a phobia of rodents. He slowly raised his hand when I asked who screamed in the miiddle of the night.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 02:18:53 AM »
  I used to build concrete farm silos. I ran a crew of three in doing so.

One silo we had to build was in a fairly remote area, with only one hotel to stay at within some 30 miles. My two guys talked me into stay one night at the hotel..bad idea !

I am a tee-totaler and with the rock & roll band going till 3AM..no place for me..

As long as my guys showed up in good shape for work mornings, they could stay where they wished..but this foreman decided he would stay at the farm..

The farmer had a sawmill in the woods across the road from his house, so I spread my sleeping bag on a pile of sawdust under the tin roof,... and went to sleep.

Sometime during the early morning hours, something ran right across my face....don't know what, but due to the available food supply, would more likely figure a squirrel rather than a rat..

Needless to say, after that experience, when going to build in any remote area I borrowed my son's tent..

I must admit however, the tracks across my face were not nearly so upsetting as the all-night rock & roll stuff...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BANG_OW

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »
My wife, now married to me for thirty years, asked at about the ten year mark, what is this thing and why does it come and go put of your underwear drawer? What she was seeing was the bright green plug out of my Remington 870 Pump. I took it out for deer season and replaced it during waterfowl and small game seasons. It was my one gun for all occasions. I stored it in my underwear drawer so I wouldn't lose it. I asked her, "what do you think it is?"  She blushed and said she had no idea, but it must be something "kinky". When I explained it, she simply said "how stupid!" that was the last I ever heard anything about it. Gotta love her!