Author Topic: Just got a .223 handi But havent found good shells  (Read 763 times)

Offline coondogger

• Trade Count: (0)
Just got a .223 handi But havent found good shells
« on: March 24, 2007, 10:56:01 AM »
I just got my new handi .223 i tried the lellier&bellier??in 55gr an the remmington 55gr UMC but they seem to shoot a little wild. the second shot was always 1 inch and 2inch high or the same but low an the first shot would be right on. ANY TIPPS???? :( :( :(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Just got a .223 handi But havent found good shells
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »
You must mean Sellier & Bellot! :D

Read the FAQs on accurizing, new rifles need some break in time, specially for the latch engagement, make sure you close the action with some force each time until it's broke in well.  ;) Try different ammo, you'll find one that shoots better than the others once it's got some range time.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »
Had the same problems in the beginnning ......  hint read everything you can here!

I actually found the way I supported the Handi made a HUGE difference on the way it shoots.    If you are not supporting the barrel properly it will shoot wild.
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 05:34:33 PM »
My non-scientific opinion is that UMC ammo is pretty poor ammo.  I couldn't get it to shoot in my old school, 1:12 twist 223.  I measured the cartidges and they were all over the place for overall length and powder weight. 

Read the info in the FAQ's.  There just isn't a lot of cheap 223 ammo to go around right now.  The remanufactured Black Hills 55 gr soft points are my "going to kill something" 223 ammo.  They are 20-odd dollars a box of 50. 

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 05:41:25 PM »
The best luck with factory ammo seems to be the Winchester white box from Wallmart, 45 or 46 gr HP bullets, really cheap and almost universally accurate in whtever they are shot in.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 05:44:59 PM »
The best luck with factory ammo seems to be the Winchester white box from Wallmart, 45 or 46 gr HP bullets, really cheap and almost universally accurate in whtever they are shot in.  Larry
What he said.

Heres what they do in mine, and this was after I only had ten or so rounds through it. (shot at 100 yards)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »
Unfortunately, the 45gr Win whitebox isn't made any more, at least until the war ends, few places have it left, including Walmart.  :'( The Black Hills 52gr match HP and Ultramax 40gr and 50gr  Nosler BT are runners up and they were both available at Sportsmans Warehouse last week, no Win Whitebox there either tho. All of em are over $20 per 50 now. :-[

Tim

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 07:38:14 PM »
Unfortunately, the 45gr Win whitebox isn't made any more, at least until the war ends, few places have it left, including Walmart.  :'( The Black Hills 52gr match HP and Ultramax 40gr and 50gr  Nosler BT are runners up and they were both available at Sportsmans Warehouse last week, no Win Whitebox there either tho. All of em are over $20 per 50 now. :-[

Tim

Ah ha. Thats why we cant find it. I told my dad to get some for his new .223, as it shot good in my Handi, and was cheap. Oh well, thats just another good reason that I reload. Something that everyone should do, in my humble opinion. ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 07:48:57 PM »
I've got over 500 rounds of the WWB, bought it here and there on sale over the last 3yrs, also have RCBS dies to reload all of it when and if I ever shoot it all up!!  ;D

Tim

Offline cpj

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 07:51:18 PM »
I've got over 500 rounds of the WWB, bought it here and there on sale over the last 3yrs, also have RCBS dies to reload all of it when and if I ever shoot it all up!!  ;D

Tim

So "the war" is the reason you site for the shortage of WWB. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Seems to me that it is because somone( who will remain name less) is hoarding 500 round lots of it. ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 07:53:25 PM »
 :o ;D

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 02:40:31 AM »
I only have 3 boxes of wwb left bought ultra max 40 nbt $25 for 50 at sportsmans going to give them a try. Haven't got a ndecent reload for it yet that compairs to wwb ???
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline dalv

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 04:29:45 PM »
I'm a big fan of Black Hills blue box factory reloads.  Shoots better than anything else in my 223 (Tikka 595 - sorry got 4 NEF's but not in 223).  I shoot the 55 gr FMJ in the 1:12 rwist barrel.  Started reloading using the BH brass and getting great results with 52gr and 45 gr SP Sierras.

I can still get them in Upstate NY for $15/50 box which is about what it costs to load my own!  My .02 worth.

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 07:22:27 AM »
I think quick pretty much summed this one up in his earlier statement. I got great results with the black hills in 50 gr. vmax.  I am currently on the ultramax with the 50 gr nostler bt.  I went to them only based on price I got them for.  250 rounds for 100 bucks.  If I am just lucky that my handi likes both that is fine with me ;D  I'd rather be lucky than good anyday.  As for reloading the rounds, the brass from  black hills and the ultramax shells are once fired and a lot will be lake city brass. My current run of ammo is actually mostly winchester, some rem, and the rest is lake city.
TJM