Author Topic: Ejector/extractor question.  (Read 410 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Ejector/extractor question.
« on: March 25, 2007, 04:21:18 AM »
I have not been able to fire my new 22-250 Handi yet, but I did put a loaded round in the chamber to make sure that it locked up ok. When I opened it, the cartridge was raised, but not removed from the chamber, and it's hard to grab on to. Does the ejector only work if the gun is opened after firing or do I have a problem here? I thought that they had ejectors.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Ejector/extractor question.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 04:53:11 AM »
I read the FAQ's and answered my own question. Sorry guys. It is hard to pull the cases out though. Maybe an extra shell holder? If it would fit in there, at least there would be something to hold on to.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 07:03:04 AM »
The lawyer led change to extractors instead of ejectors has been met with less than enthusiastic reception but it is what the new barrels come with. Perhaps you can exchange that barrel to someone who might swap it for a similar barrel with an ejector, a member here bought a new .270 Handi but was so unhapy with the extractor barrel that he bought a used ejector barrel here in the classifieds and swapped them out, he even had H&R fit the older ejector barrel to his frame for him. There are some here that say they prefer the extractors so perhaps you can find someone to swap, but the chances are no one is going to swap an ejector barrel for an extractor fitted one unless you add a bit of money, and even at that the chances are slim but you could try. Those that shoot target primarily from a bench seem to accept the extractors to some degree however most of us that hunt, especially where it gets cold, and the great majority of those on this site, prefer the ejectors. There has been talk but nothing substantive yet about trying to convert the new extractors to ejectors, when that is done it could possibly make that person quite a few dollars, or just a bit of fame here!!! My than probable though, knowing the fine guys here tf that modification is figured out whoever does it will post the direction here fopr all to use for free, a great bunch of guys here. I suggest you call H&R/NEF and voice your displeasure, perhaps you might ask them if they may have an older ejector fitted .22-250 barrel available for the barrel accessory program and will swap it for you. My old prediction that the ejector fitted barrels are going to become more and more prised and valuable as time goes on is becoming a reality. I would not want to spend any money on a new H&R and have it come with an extractor. I will simply continue to purchase used rifles and barrels or have barrels made up, "stubbed", from older ejector fitted barrels and barrel lugs. The change was and is a dark time for these otherwise fine guns. and to think there were those here that petitioned for such a change, it makes me sad....<><.... :(
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 07:24:25 AM »
I have to say that once you get used to an extractor barrel, it will probably be a non-issue, the TC Encore uses an extractor, always has, and it's an extremely popular break barrel. So it's just a matter of familiarity with the firearm and its handling. While those that have been spoiled with ejectors for years have a hard time switching, others welcome the extractor as it ends any stuck brass issues which can and does happen occasionally, usually at the most inopportune time. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:57:00 AM »
When I opened it, the cartridge was raised, but not removed from the chamber, and it's hard to grab on to.

Can you measure the distance the cartridge is extracted?
My 223 shows .156" from the breach face. Even with my old, stubby fingers I've not had a problem with removing the cartridges.
Seems like the 22-250 would be easier since they are larger in diameter.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:03:35 AM »
I like my extractor barrels better.
They open and close so much nicer.
I think being able to open and load the rifle without that PING will do more good than a fast reload.
They are single shots. ;)