Author Topic: Smokeless muzzleloader??  (Read 579 times)

Offline Oldsnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Smokeless muzzleloader??
« on: March 25, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »
Has any one taken a Nef 45 caliber barrel and had a breach plug made and installed , to shoot smoke less powder?
Thats all she wrote.

Offline 221fireball

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Smokeless muzzleloader??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:05:56 PM »
a company called smi makes smokeless ml from nef guns you can check with them they will help you i have read a lot of good things about them no personal exp

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:07:56 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:15:05 PM »
To do it properly you would need to make the breach plug fill the area of the chamber, that way the ball or bullet would not fall into the chamber area on top of the powder charge and rattle around.  H&R did make a breach plug for it's muzzel loaders that sealed with an O ring, they worked great until a few people shot themselves in the head with the breach plug when they opened the rifle too soon after a hang fire.  After that H&R went to a threaded plug.  I would say the press in O ring sealed type would work in a 45-70.  I don't know about the twist rates etc, but it should function.  Just cut a slot in the breach plug for the ejector to fit in and then machine the back of the plug for the primer nipple.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »
a company called smi makes smokeless ml from nef guns you can check with them they will help you i have read a lot of good things about them no personal exp

I have also read a lot of good things about them, however my personal experience was anything but good. I did receive a full refund, minus my shipping of the receiver to be fitted  ::), and to return the barrel. This was a .50 caliber, no experience with their .45 caliber.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member