Author Topic: .308 stub project  (Read 566 times)

Offline sluggo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
.308 stub project
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:45:36 AM »
 I ran across this project, thought it might put MSP at ease, get rid of his shudders.... ;D

http://www.thegungarage.com

.....apparently, there's a word in the full address that is not permissable, although not offensive, spelling might be too close to a censored word.
 Go to above site and look at the .308 project, it's an H&R.
...there are many kinds of wounded, and only one kind of dead. Do it the Handi way, one shot, one kill.

Offline savage rookie

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: .308 stub project
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:01:19 PM »
how is he dialing in on a 3 jaw?

Offline AlbinoAlligator

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
Just a side note about this project. The guy who built the gun is a good friend of mine. It should be noted that the last time I talked to him about this gun he had not been able to get it to shoot worth a darn. I forget what kind of groups he was getting, but they where not good, and he was not happy. He knows his stuff too. He even gave it to another shooter freind to see if he could get it to shoot, with no success. Last I heard it was a safe queen!!  :-\

AA

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:17:16 PM »
He still has the stocks and rec.  :o

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »
I can see at least one problem he has with the machining, where he has the chuck jaws clamped on the stub the barrel is not round or parallel with anything.  H&R grinds a little off the bottom third of the chamber area with some kind of a belt sander when they fit the barrel lug, so the chamber was probably not centered (or straight) in the lathe when he bored it, I first tried the same thing. Only way I could get the one I did true was to put a center in the chamber and then turn the front of the stub true with the chamber and bore, then I could run my steady rest on the true part of the stub so it was bored on center and straight with origional bore.  Handi's aren't a very presion rifle, so you need to take special care when you do these things.  Too bad it doesn't shoot, bet he has over a grand it that rifle. It does look nice!  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.