Author Topic: Jumped in the water with a Combo...  (Read 779 times)

Offline Cknerr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Antique Rifle Restoration
Jumped in the water with a Combo...
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:13:50 PM »
oh Lordy, what have I done?! MMmaaaacccc!!!!

Just picked up a CVA Optima Elite combo 50BP/30-06

Mac can explain to my ex-friends why I actually have an inline - and a plastic stock with (do I admit it?) camo. (I tried screaming and kicking, then groveling... - that guy is relentless!) Yup, Chris has an inline. For those that don't know me, I am a traditionalist that has always shot the "real" smoke poles. The muzzle on my match rifle stops just short of the top of my shoulder....this thing barely peeks out from under my belly!!!!! ..even was looking around for the rest of the ramrod - then I realized that was it.  Short little thing. Tupperware stock, never even considered one outside of my BR rifle. Didn't know there was anything besides wood.....

Thursday is when I head to the range. Stick some ramps and a scope on both barrels to see what they can do. Will take reloading stuff to the range to see just what I can get to work in both barrels. I'll try a few sabot type rounds, then switch to some very large Maxi-balls that should take the 1:28 twist pretty well...and if I can find all the parts, I'll drag the chrony along to see what the inline does with differant powders and bullets.

BTW, Mac  - what loads to try in the 30-06. Don't have a clue as to what size 30 cal bullets I have, so could you send along a few recommendations? It has been 15+ years since I shot one must less reloaded for it. Hope my dies aren't too rusty... I have Triple-7 and real BP for the inline, how much powder for that thing? The sabots are 250 grains, I'll have to measure the Maxis to find out what they are. Get back to you on them. Come to think of it, I'll probably just start with the same load as the sabots and go up from there.

Thanks and take care,
Chris
Chris K'nerr
Atlanta Woodwright's Studio, Inc.
Acworth, Ga. 30101
678-770-4274
678-574-5522 (h)

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Re: Jumped in the water with a Combo...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »
I hav'nt shot my muzzleloading barrel yet,but I sure like my 30 06 and 243. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 07:39:54 PM »

Congratulations Chris... When you jump...you jump with both feet don't you :D :D :D :D

I really think you will learn to appreciate the stock...camo and all...after you shoot it some...They do take some getting used to..but in your line of work you'll realize the benifits quicker than most would.. ;)

Some factory loads I would recommend..

Federal Fusion...150 or 165 grainers..

Federal Match 168 grain

Winchester Supreme 168 grain Silver Ballistic tip

Handloads....Nosler Silver Ballistic Tip or the 165 Partition...IMR 4350 (53-57 grains) seat the SBT just off the lands..partitions where you like them..

Hornady 168 grain HPBT IMR  4350 powder (50.5 - 57.6 grains)

Of course you have the A-Max Hornady's as well...and the SST's if you like...but the above loads are my favorites for the o6'

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:50:19 PM »
I don't care for that particular camo pattern or color, but you do have a great combo there. And pretty much covers all areas. I think you picked up at a nice point to start back where you are at. 

Congrats
-Aaron