Author Topic: OT My boy the sports writer  (Read 622 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
OT My boy the sports writer
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:41:24 PM »
I know there are mixed feelings about sports writers in the gun world, but I don't care, I'm proud of my son ;D.  He graduated from University of Santa Barbara last year, and soon picked up a job with the local paper here as a sports writer (what he wanted to be).

Just recently they gave him a column in an addition section, besides the team sports.  It's called the AV (Antelope Valley) outdoors.  His first column is on making catfish bait.  I copied it and will post it below to share with you guys.  I'm kinda biased but I think it's funny.  By the way, it's ALL true :o.  Hope you enjoy it too.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

YOU MAY NOT WANT TO TRY THIS AT HOME
Sean Lewis
On the Outdoors
Staff Writer
Antelope Valley Press

I will never forget that smell.
The pungent stench of raw pork mixed with melted cheese and enough garlic to frighten Dracula assaulted my nasal cavity with every breath.
My roommate Craig, suffering from a stuffy nose and a cold, was compelled to state the obvious: Yo, that stinks,he told me when he caught a whiff of my concoction 20 feet from his seat in the living room.
In the quest to create a homemade bait that would attract catfish to the hook like gold-diggers to ailing billionaires, I had created a monster.
Almost every time I told someone of my plans to try and catch catfish with homemade bait, they offered me advice on bait that was sure to work. While shopping for supplies at Wal-Mart, the helpful employee, a Kentucky native, informed me that fresh shrimp from the grocery store worked better than anything else.
Not gross enough.
A friend said that everytime he placed a chicken liver on a hook and threw it into a lake, it came back with a channel kitty attached.
Too simple.
I wanted to be involved in the creation of the bait. When I reeled in a big whiskered fish it was going to be because of my work, not just somebodys suggestion.
Google yielded thousands of results, many of them absolutely disgusting. Some required blood, most required something to rot or sit in the sun for a couple of weeks. Not having the patience or stomach to wait for something that I would be working closely with to putrefy, I found a homemade stinkbait recipe that wouldnt make me wretch.
Little did I know how putrid the mixture of cheese, raw pork, dog food, minnows and flour would be.
Things were bad when they were in the blender, they got worse when the blenders motor burned up. This is when I learned the difference between a blender and a food processor. For a few minutes, something actually overpowered the stench from my bait the smoke from the blender.
Pouring the rancid concoction from the blender and into a Tupperware bin, I resolved to mix my bait by hand. I grabbed a whisk that will never again have a home in my kitchen and went to work on the blend.
Minnows stared at me as I plunged them under the melted cheddar and shredded pork. As I added flour to turn the melty mix into a dough, the smell began to blitzkreig my olfactory ducts.
The garlic alone would be enough to make the strongest individualseyes begin to water. But in conjunction with the dog food and the normally appetizing aroma of cheddar cheese, my nose began to run, my eyes watered worse than when I saw The Pursuit of Happynessand my stomach tried its hardest to return my dinner back to  the mouth that sent it there.
By the time that enough flour was added to turn the goo into a doughy mess, I would have been happy to never see my homemade bait again. But like Dr. Frankenstein, I would be forced to confront the wretch I created in the morning. I put a lid on the bait, threw away the destroyed blender, dumped the whisk with a piece of a minnows tail sticking out of a lump of dough clinging to its wires, and cleaned my kitchen.
I went to bed and dreamt of catfish flocking to my hook with the fervor of teenage girls at a Justin Timberlake concert.
The next morning, before the sun made its way into the sky, I met my father at Fin N Feather Lake to test my creation. I brought the bait, he brought our rods (I store mine in his garage) a tackle box and a box of rubber gloves. Neither of us were about to touch the stinking dough with our bare hands.
We picked our spot on the shore and set up.
The lid came off the Tupperware, and a night in my kitchen didnt make the bait smell any better, but fortunately it wasnt much worse. The dough went onto the hook nicely, and we cast for the first time as the sun began to peek over the lake.
By the time the sun was near its apex we were on our way home.
The amount of catfish caught: zero.
The total number of bites: zero.
That isnt to say that there were no fish to be caught at Fin N Feather, our neighbors had stringers full of them.
Maybe it was the lack of a food processor, poor fishing technique on our part or simple bad luck that kept our hooks void of catfish.
Personally, I think the problem was that the bait was so revolting that no living creature, not even a catfish, would willingly put it in its mouth.
Next time Ill just use the shrimp. At least if I dont catch anything I can eat the leftovers.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: OT My boy the sports writer
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:04 PM »
That was a good read handirifle! Congratulations on your son following through with his education to be able to do what he obviously enjoys doing. Good luck to him. I am sure he will be successful in his field. I could almost smell his "concoction."

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 01:21:41 AM »
Yes.  A good read. 

Congratulations to you for the success of your son and to your son for his success.

Continued good luck to both of you.    ;)

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 02:14:52 AM »
Now that is a good laugh almost lost my coffee. ;D
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 02:46:23 AM »
a great story and a great son, congratulations to you both....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:24:11 AM »
handirifle

You did good , sounds like he had a proper up bringing and is well on his way , you need to get him to a write up on the H&R /NEF rifles next .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:26:31 AM »
Thanks all, yes he really does love this job.  Stimpy, I may well put the bug in his ear.  He does have a NEF 223 and 30-30.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 05:22:31 AM »
That's great!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Tim ;)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 07:47:32 AM »
Thats great handirifle ! Hey a sports writer and a handi owner,you did real good !! ;)
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 09:20:14 AM »
a great article handirifle!
Its always great to see kids grow up and do something that they really wanted to do and actually accomplish it.  You should be proud.  Now get him to write about our handis!

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 09:48:14 AM »
Maybe I can talk him into doing a "test" of one and submitting it, not sure to whom though.  maybe when I get my 38-55 project done ;D

oops, something went awry back there!!

Offline Hunternz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:55:02 AM »
That was a great read, because a man needs to work its good to do what you like,
Congrats to your son,
Regards Howard.  

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
Great reading.  I can relate to that article.  A couple years ago I made up a batch of dough bait.  It was fun and I did catch   A   catfish.  Great job Scott.  You done it right...Sean sounds like a great young man.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline bighemidaddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 05:10:56 PM »
good reading                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            bighemidaddy

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 05:02:59 AM »
Handi'

that was excellent.   congratulations on your achievement of raising a literary genius.   the next "laureate" i guess you could say!

i like the irony at the end.

take care,

ss' 
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 07:02:10 AM »
Thanks SS, he just keeps getting better.  Funny thing is he started off in college working for their paper for money and decided that was what he wanted to do for a living.

He really got into the basketball, soccer, etc, and I never watch that stuff on TV.  I did coach him and his twin brother (identical) for 7 years of little league, Pony league, but never was much of a fan of it on TV.

When he was offered the spot to do local outdoors stuff, he was really excited.  I kinda figured that wasn't his cup of tea, but all those hunting and fishing trips paid off I guess. ;D