Author Topic: Bear Baiting........  (Read 600 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Bear Baiting........
« on: May 16, 2003, 01:23:22 PM »
Although it won't affect us in California due to it being against the law to bait bears here, I would like to know how the rest of you feel about House Resolution 1472 that will make it illegal to bait bears on federal land?

A Congressional hearing is being scheduled for legislation that would ban baited bear hunting on federal land. The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance (USSA) says sportsmen should contact their congressmen and encourage them to oppose the bill.
The tentative date for the hearing on House Resolution 1472, introduced by U.S. Democratic Rep. Jim Moran and U.S. Republican Rep. Elton Gallegly is June 12 before the Subcommittee on Fisheries Conservation, Wildlife, and Oceans of the House Resources Committee.

As for me I don't like baiting(I can think of better ways to spend a day then sitting downwind from a rotting pile of garbage) but for those that do more power to you.  In many ways it's a easier method of controlling the bear population.  It should be up to the person how they want to hunt and legislated by a bunch of non hunters in D.C..  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Bear Baiting........
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 10:55:58 AM »
:D Back at you Lawdog,

Been there, and done that and at this point without success.

We have a good number of bears in this area, and believe me when I say it is not a give me situation when you bait.

Maybe if you pay a guide to do the work, and take a week off for the hunt it might come closer, but even though I live within a short distance from where they hang out, I have still not tagged a bear.

Had a chance one time, but not in a bait situation. Wife had her once in a life time I-dee-ho moose tag so we just watched the blacky for 20 min. or so. Didn't want to mess up her chances for a possible shot.

Baiting REQUIRES time for setting up the site, and revisiting it frequently for restocking. Seems I just never could get there early enough or on the right day.

Oh, and by the way no need for a bad smelling pile of anything if it is done correctly. Time and timing ARE needed.

Keep em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag