Author Topic: Laser Rangefinders  (Read 825 times)

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Laser Rangefinders
« on: March 28, 2007, 12:26:24 PM »
I'm considering buying a laser rangefinder and could use some advice.

I've read various articles and specs, but would like recommendations from those who have used them.

What's good, what's bad, what to avoid or look for?

What specs are noticable in the field, versus those that are only apparent on paper.

Et cetera.

Thanks everyone.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Laser Rangefinders
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 01:47:18 PM »
I have used units by Tasco, Simmons, and Bushnell.  The Tasco and Simmons were models that were out years and years ago, when lasers first came out.  They were both junk, so if you see some used ones for a cheap price, don't fall for them. 

All of the Bushnell's I've used were great.  I've used the Lytespeed 400 (Bushnell's first one), Yardage Pro Sport, Yardage Pro 600 and the Yardage Pro 800.  The only one that belongs to me is the 800 yd model.  No problems with any of them, regardless of the weather, but they are not waterproof, only weather resistant.  I've gotten readings out to 1100 yds with the 800 model if the object is big enough, or highly reflective.  Also, the max range is based on a highly reflective object.  The 800 will only read out to 450 yds off a deer or elk, which is fine with me.  When I use it, I don't range animals anyway, rather I range different landmarks or notables that I can write down/make a diagram with.  When an animal comes out, I usually have the yardages memorized for objects nearby.  The biggest problem I've found is getting steady enough to get readings at long range.  I use my shooting sticks to help me steady the unit.

Before I got one, I didn't think I needed one that bad.  Now that I have it, you'll never get it away from me.  Using it has helped with my range estimates too.  I've found that I can judge distance more accurately since I've been using one.

I'm very happy with my Yardage Pro 800.  I just wish it was waterproof, as I go out in all weather.  For that reason, I will eventually upgrade to the waterproof models available, or break down and get the Quest Rangefinder Binocular.

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:50:03 AM »
Thanks.

Do the longer-range rangefinders provide better resolution and accuracy for closer targets? 

For instance, will an 800 yard rangefinder be more accurate on a 350-400 yard target, than a 400 or 600 yard rangefinder?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:39:44 AM »
Perhaps to some small degree, but you probably won't be able to notice it.  The only difference is the strength of the laser itself.  Longer range models have a stronger emitter in them.

Offline Val

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »
The longer range devices have an advantage in poor weather. Rain and fog significantly reduce the capability of lasers. I use a Leica 1200 and I really like the light weight and compactness of the set. The visual optics are very good on the Leicas. I think that a few more dollars for a very useful tool is money well spent.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:11:36 PM »
Does that mean that the stronger laser in the long-range rangefinder, could provide greater accuracy at shorter ranges if you're tying to shoot through precipitation and haze?

From the previous two posts, it sounds like getting a more powerful laser with greater range, has other benefits at lesser ranges, even though I may not shoot targets at its maximum distance?

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:30:05 AM »
Does that mean that the stronger laser in the long-range rangefinder, could provide greater accuracy at shorter ranges if you're tying to shoot through precipitation and haze?

From the previous two posts, it sounds like getting a more powerful laser with greater range, has other benefits at lesser ranges, even though I may not shoot targets at its maximum distance?

Am I interpreting this correctly?
Yes you are. I too have the Yardage Pro 800 but at best it reads a deer or elk out to 325. Reflective objects maybe720.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:42:57 AM »
The more powerful lasers probably won't provide more accuracy but they will provide a return signal to provide a range in poorer atmospheric conditions. The beam divergence in a better quality devise is also less, thus providing a return signal from a smaller area, thus providing a more reliable and accurate range readout. A greater beam divergence could provide a return signal from an object behind or adjacent to the true target of interest.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline Revolver Nuts

• 460 XVR
Re: Laser Rangefinders for Varmints
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »
How well do these units work on smaller objects, like ground hogs or p-dogs.
Thanks
Revolver Nuts
NRA Patron Lifer

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »
The farther you try to range, the wider the beam from the laser gets.  On small animals, honestly, you probably won't read very far with the Bushnell models.  The Leica and Swarovski units are the only ones I've heard of that will give an accurate reading at long range on a praire dog sized animal.  I haven't used or read anything about the new Leupold units, so I have no idea what they are capable of.  Even then, I still prefer to range landmarks, etc.  I have can acquire a target faster using known distances to landmarks than by trying to range the target itself, then shooting.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 02:46:37 PM »
You pretty much get what you pay for with range finders. The 800 yrd. one are usually good for abt. 400 yrds. on groundhogs size game. It seem the accuracy is pretty close between all of the different ones I have been able to put side by side. Right now I`m using a pair of 800 yrd. bino`s from Leupold. They are made by Wind River, and while not quite as sharp as my Wind River bino`s, they do quite well and require no refocusing at different ranges. The reason I like them is I don`t have to carry bino`s.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 03:20:17 AM »
I have used several Bushnell range finders, the Yard pro's, and sport. I have a Yard pro 1000 and it works great. I recently bought Leupold's RX-IV and fell in love with it. It is smaller then my Bushnell Yard Pro 1000 and it will pick up objects better and faster. It has a built in temperature gage and works great on up or down hill  calculations.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA