Author Topic: Nightforce ?  (Read 729 times)

Offline ronaldlee

• Trade Count: (0)
Nightforce ?
« on: March 29, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »
Any one have experience with Nightforce scopes? Thanks for your comments------------------Ron

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Nightforce ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 08:19:32 PM »
I had a 5.5-22x56 nightforce on a DPMS panther heavy bull 24.  It was a great scope.  I had the NPR2 reticle.  It was a little busy for every day hunting use but still very nice.  SUper clear, extremely durable, but heavy.   All in all I think they are excellent optics especially for a target gun or a heavy benchrest gun.  Something your going to use to shoot extreme long range with.  For an all around hunting scope I think there is just as good or better out there for that purpose.   

If I had a 50 bmg, or heavy tactical rifle and the money, I would definatley get another nightforce.

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:09:40 AM »
I have one also.  A 5.5x-22x-56mm NXS, although I forget the reticle name (it's like an open mil-dot).

Very big and very heavy, but optics are great, tracking is excellent, and the illuminated reticle is arguably the best in the business.

I have it mounted on my Sendero SF in 300WM, which that gun itself is very heavy.  Combine that gun with that big and heavy scope, and you have enough weight to hold down the space shuttle during take off. :D  That's really not of a big concern to me, though, because I do a lot of stand hunting from box blinds.  But if I had to walk around with it, I would rather leave it behind and hunt with my bare hands. ;D

Zachary

Offline Thebear_78

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:45:26 PM »
"But if I had to walk around with it, I would rather leave it behind and hunt with my bare hands."

I know what you mean Zachary.  On my 24" heavy bull DPMS the whole gun must have weighed 12+ pounds.  I took it predator hunting only 1 time here in Alaska.  After a few miles on the snow shoes I literally set it down and put my coat over it to pick it up on my way back to the truck.   I thought it would surely kill me to carry any further.

Offline Explorer1

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 02:09:55 PM »
I had 3.5-15 while back, great glass, too big to carry other than from parking lot to shooting bench.  Now have a 2.5-10 on a 338-378, still heavier than the competition but a great scope.

Summary - not an everyday or average user item but are positively high quality (and expensive).

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 08:50:14 PM »
Nightforce are top of the line to be sure. A buddy of mine just bought the 8-32 NSX and it's the best glass I have ever seen. They go for top dollar, but the are on top right now too....
http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html

Their illumination feature is great too.
 Why hasn't other manufactures cought on to this hidden style  instead of having those  large honking knob on the rear eye piece ???... Man I hate those

-Aaron

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 02:08:03 PM »
I have a 3.5X15X50 NXS Night Force on my .338/378 Weatherby Accumark.  Love it.  Clearest scope I own.  Yes it's heavy, had trouble Leupold rings broke on the third shot.  Finally got rings and base that work.  Now I have worked out to 800 yards. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.