Author Topic: Remington New Model Army 1858 problem, help please.  (Read 2564 times)

Offline SUPERSPORT

• Trade Count: (0)
Remington New Model Army 1858 problem, help please.
« on: March 30, 2007, 06:03:36 AM »
I bought a Pietta 1858 New Model Army at Cabela's Wednesday. I am new to black powder.

Last night I had a chance to play with it a few. When I pull the loading lever the plunger gets caught on the cylinder. It doesn't line up with the hole. When I spin the cylinder till it 'snaps' into the next position it is a hair too far. I have to force it and it 'pops' in.

I live almost 200 miles from the store. I drive semi and happened to be driving past Cabela's so I stopped. Hard to tell when I will be back that way.

Is this normal, for the plunger and cylinder not to line up? Any thing I could do to adjust it? Will they exchange it? What should I do?

Thanks, Greg.

Offline Flint

Re: Remington New Model Army 1858 problem, help please.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:51:46 AM »
If the loading plunger doesn't line up, the chances are the barrel bore doesn't either.  Sounds like some machining is off center, either in the frame or the cylinder notches.  I have an older Pietta Stainless which hammer hits only half the nipple, it's that far off, and I had to cut metal to get the cylinder pin to go in or out without a mallet.  Piettas can be spotty.

I would take it back to Cabelas, they are very cooperative in exchanging faulty guns, I understand.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »
Yep. This is a potentially serious problem and should go back to Cabela's for correction. Timing problems are never simple, even if the cause is a simple spring maladjustment. If it was a used gun I'd advise a gunsmith take a look at it; since it's new, the retailer needs to be involved. Sorry.

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
Similar problem on older gun on The High Road blackpowder forum
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:27:58 PM »
Just read a post on The High Road blackpowder forum about a nearly identical problem, also with a Pietta. This one's on a used gun. The thread has a good analysis by a poster named rifle that is worth the time to read.
http://www.thehighroad.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3251072

Offline SUPERSPORT

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Thanks guys! Anyone else feel free to chime in.

I called Cabela's today. They said to ship it to them and they will send me a replacement. I have to pay ground shipping and insurance UPS. Looks like about $15. :( I guess I'll be waiting another couple weeks to shoot. >:(

I'm off to read your link mykeal. :)

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 12:31:18 AM »
I would try to find an Uberti made gun. Pietta guns use soft steel and lock up is generally off.

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 04:16:28 AM »
I would try to find an Uberti made gun. Pietta guns use soft steel and lock up is generally off.

Will,

That's interesting. Do you have a reference for Pietta's use of soft steel?

Offline tomhargrove

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 05:26:41 AM »
odd---i have 3 pietta revolvers 2/58 army's and a 1851navy and all are outstanding shooters and seem to be of very high quality ,the soft steel interest me  I'm considering r&d conversion's but ,not if it not safe- ::)

"war does not decide what is right ,rather only what is left"

Offline Flint

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 06:18:17 PM »
Softer than Uberti, a little bit, and recutting the forcing cone on my Piettas showed the barrel material to be fairly soft, so be careful with the cutter.

Especially on a Pietta Cap & Ball the (almost non-existant) forcing cone needs to be cut properly to shoot a 45LC conversion cylinder with it's harder, heavier bullet.  The Pietta or Uberti is probably made of harder, better steel than the original guns, regardless.

I have 2 Pietta Remington conversions and I have shot them in many CAS matches with R&D 45Colt cylinders.  There has been no sign of a problem with the throat deforming or splitting, so I don't worry about it.

The "soft spot" is internal, the bolt and hand.  A conversion cylinder made of 4140 or 4150 steel with sharp rachet edges (like the Kirst) will chew up the nose of a Pietta or Uberti hand fairly well.  We need a source of hardened steel hands for the Italian guns.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Little Bear

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »
I bought a Pietta 1858 New Model Army at Cabela's Wednesday. I am new to black powder.

Last night I had a chance to play with it a few. When I pull the loading lever the plunger gets caught on the cylinder. It doesn't line up with the hole. When I spin the cylinder till it 'snaps' into the next position it is a hair too far. I have to force it and it 'pops' in.

Is this normal, for the plunger and cylinder not to line up? Any thing I could do to adjust it? Will they exchange it? What should I do?

Thanks, Greg.

If you have the gun at the half cocked position, as is, the plunger will not line up with a chamber.  At half cock, you're supposed to turn the cylinder by hand for loading purposes.  If you do pass the chamber you want to work on, yes, you will have to rotate the cylinder all the way around again.     

If the plunger does not line up with a chamber when the hammer is down or at full cock with the cylinder in battery, then yeah, send it back.