Author Topic: New project starting - Carronade  (Read 16531 times)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New project starting - Carronade
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2007, 04:45:04 PM »
Rickk, i'm not one to butt in, plus since this project was started before i came on board, i never felt right about posting on it. but dog gone it!!! i really like the pics and info you have. so i'm watching, just being silent, keep up the good work,lance
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2007, 03:20:16 PM »
Thanks for the motivation Lance, and everyone else for that matter.

I have become consumed with this thing I think  :o

It turned out the trunnion on the other side was about .015 bigger in diameter, so there was a lot more grinding and sanding tonight. The pipes now fit as planned, although maybe they could use a few thousanths more clearance. I will touch them up after I get the tabs welded on, as it will be easier to hang onto the thing that way. Even with welding gloves on the pipes got hot enough that I had to let them cool every so often.

I drilled the semi-circles in the two top pieces of wood to accept the trunnions. That was one of the easier operations to date. I butted them together and drilled thru with a 2-7/8 forstner bit (   http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=244-2780&x=5&y=12 ) , basically drilling both sides at once.  2-7/8 is a perfect fit for the O.D. of 2-1/2 inch schedule 40 pipe. I put them back on the carriage and lowered the barrel... it all lined up. Tomorrow I'll make the tabs and weld them in place to complete the trunnions.

A bit more drilling and cutting of the carriage, sand it a bit cleaner than it presently is and revarnish it, and it will almost be ready to fire  ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2007, 03:58:48 PM »
Rick -

Solving the frustrating problems WE all run into (and posting them here) is one of the great thiings about this board!

THANKS!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »
the trunions tabs got made tonight and tacked in place. It's raining like hell, and my kid is staying over his friends house tonight... so I am calling work off early  ;)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2007, 11:32:34 AM »
A bit of minor tweaking left to do, but today I ripped the whole thing apart, sanded the wood, and  revarnished everything.

Watching paint dry is boring, but I have to resist the urge to touch anything till tomorrow morning.

Now that I know the length, I just ordered four 12 inch long 1/2 inch S.S carriage bolts to hold the back wheel assembly in place. Carriage bolts have a head on them that somewhat resembles what I saw on the big guns on the USS Constitution last week that were located in the same place. Shockingly enough, they are $20 bucks a piece! I was hesitant, but since all the other hardware is stainless, and that is the last thing I need... I ordered them. I'll use zinc plated or All-thread till they come in.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2064&familyName=1%2F2+S%2FS+Carriage+Bolts

I ordered some acorn nuts for the trunions caps while I was there http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1885&familyName=S%2FS+Acorn+%28Cap%29+Nuts

So tomorrow I put the wood together, drill a few more holes, finish up the trunions caps, and maybe stuff some powder down the bore and see what happens.

Baring unforseen events, there will be some pictures before tomorrow is over.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »
two weeks ago I took apart my mortar and repainted it. The wood had separated a bit, so I used  Bondo gel to fill in the cracks.

Anyway, I noticed that there was heavy rust on all the thru-bolts that were burried inside the wood. I am taking that to mean that it is important to varnish not only the outside, but also the inside of any holes that are drilled thru the wood.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2007, 10:16:39 AM »
It has rained for 10 minutes every hour today since 10AM. Right now there is an intense thunderstorm passing thru that may go on for 30 minutes or so.

Working around this weather has been fairly complex. I have been painting the metal with fast drying epoxy spray paint that takes about 30 minutes to get fairly dry. Timing is everything.

All the painting is done. I need to make three more thru-rods and then if the rain stops I will finish it up. Maybe a picture or two, and maybe I will even be able to stuff some powder in it... all depends on the crazy weather.  :P

Stay tuned !

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2007, 02:26:31 PM »
Well, it's not 100% done yet, some minor tweaking, the front "bumper" needs to be added, the real quoin needs to be installed, the rings on the side need to be finished and installed...but it is shootable...

and  @#$ loud   ;D

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2007, 02:40:11 PM »
Rickk,

Wow!!! Nice pics! A++ on the "Smoke & Flames" !!!! :o

P.S.- What was your load???
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2007, 02:51:41 PM »
3.6 ounces of 1F, with a couple of 1/8 inch thick cardboard disks on top.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2007, 03:03:57 PM »
3.6 ounces of 1F, with a couple of 1/8 inch thick cardboard disks on top.

Thanks!  Well, it looks like you found a fun way to take care of those pesky flying insects.... ;D

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2007, 03:22:57 PM »
Because it rained so much today, when I touched it off the air was really dense, and a bit foggy. The sun was setting. The result was this massive low-flying smoke cloud. The setting sun made a really cool rainbow in it. It was really awesome  :D

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2007, 03:31:06 PM »
Because it rained so much today, when I touched it off the air was really dense, and a bit foggy. The sun was setting. The result was this massive low-flying smoke cloud. The setting sun made a really cool rainbow in it. It was really awesome  :D

It's a great action shot. Calendar photo???

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »
 ;D That is Awesome !!! I bet it was thunder., and I am looking forward to plenty of additional photos   ;D  from all angles !
Congratulations Rickk on this fine addition.

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »
WOOHOO!!!  Outstanding :o  RICKK .. Yes, FIRE & SMOKE thats what I'm talking about.. Congrats Nice Job..

Offline lance

« Reply #135 on: July 15, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »
NOW THAT IS-a smoke and fire picture...............

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »

It's a great action shot. Calendar photo???

I think so.  Judging from where it's aimed into the garden, it should be labeled "green fried tomatoes".   ;D

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2007, 04:03:57 PM »
as long as it does not cook anything, the residue is all great fertilizer  ;D

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2007, 05:34:24 PM »
WOW!!!  There goes your night-vision.   :o :o  You did a fine job, Rick; she really looks great! 

Impressed,
Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »
 Wow!!!!!!! Beautiful work!!!!!!!!!  Congratulations!!!!!!! That is a cannon to proud of!!!!!!!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2007, 07:24:51 PM »
Nice job Rick!!!! I  like it!  She does have a long flaming breath doesn't she!!!

Rust on the through bolts?  how dry was you oak?  Could actually be the first stages staining from the tannic acid in just slightly wet wood.   I would let it go for about a year the then clean and oil the bolts real well and leave it. The oil will kill the rust and the oxide patina will slow the process.   After all  gun bluing is nothing but chemically controlled rust.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2007, 12:40:47 AM »
DoubleD ...The oak in the mortar bed was not dry... which is why I had to take it apart and redo the bed. It was more than surface rust on the bolts... it was starting to get ugly. It has had a year to dry now, so it is pretty much as dry as it is going to get.  The wet wood certainly had something to do with it.

On this naval carriage all the bolts are stainless, so it hopefully should be a moot point. Still, I dribbled varnish down every hole cuz "it can't hurt""

Offline opatriot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2007, 04:16:50 AM »
     SWEEEET  .........  Wheels Rick    !!  Nice looking piece !!  Im thinking of making A large scale cannon also and was wondering about the weight ..... How do you manage to move it around ??  Did you haul her in A pickup or trailer  ??  Thanx for sharing your project with us  I can find alot of good advice and info in the threads ...... Turned out nice with LARGE Bang !! 
............................. DAVEY  (OPATRIOT)  ....................................................................       WHAT IS POPULAR IS NOT ALWAYS RIGHT, WHAT IS RIGHT IS NOT ALWAYS POPULAR ...

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2007, 06:06:29 AM »
Nice job Rickk, I wouldn't worry too much about a front bumper, looks good without it. they didn't always have one on the Carronade

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2007, 06:40:08 AM »
Rusty Barrels, the bumper has a second function that is not obvious. These tend to be nose-heavy and if the rear is picked up enough to bring the barrel forward of the front axle it will want to tip over nose first. The front bumper would help prevent that from happening. Plus, I think it adds a finished look :-)

Opatriot, so far it has only traveled about 150 feet from my shed to where I shot it. My 5 year old and I pushed it about 20 feet before we gave up, wrapped a tow strap around the front axle and hooked it up to my garden tractor. It moved easily that way. For longer distances I am not sure how I am going to move it yet. I estimate that it weighs about 500#.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »
I attempted to make a quoin yesterday. I cut it to give the min and max elevation that I wanted, but after I cut it and tried it, I found that at times the cascable hit it, so it did not work out as planned.

When I was on board the USS Constitution a week ago, I noticed that most of the quoins looked different from each other... almost as if each one was hand shaped by a particular gun crew. The elevation was not a straight line on most of them, but curved. They must have figured out thru trial and error what they were doing.

Anyway, I glued some scrap wood wedges on the quoin that I made untill it did what the barrel wanted it to do. There is a minimum angle that will work. I guess there is no law that says I can not have multiple quoins. I can have one with a really mild angle, for "target shooting", and a different one that provides a higher elevation for whatever reason I might have to need that.

On the back of each one, I am adding a spacer block that will angle the barrel downward. That would be handy from draining water out of the barrel, or keeping the rain out of the bore.

I guess it would be good advice to cut one's first quoin out of scrap 2x6 or 2x 8 pine to get the angles correct, before commiting more expensive wood to the project.

For a quoin handle, I found some short table legs at the hardware store that I think will work out perfect. They are sort of fancy, and fairly cheap.

I also started trimming some of the thru-bolts to correct size. I assume most people noticed that the trunnion in my posted picture was not sitting flat on the carriage. The rod was too long, and I ran out of threads before it seated properly. I added a few more turns of thread and it looks much better now. I still have to cut the rods shorter so they look like I actually know what I am doing  ;)

Pictures will appear when I get something worth looking at. 

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
The varnish on the quoin is drying, so I got bored and made a couple of ringbolts for the sides.

The eye bolts are commercially made 1/2 inch stainless.

To make the rings, I took some 3/8 stainless rod, tacked the end of it to the side of some 3" OD heavy walled pipe, started heating it untill it got red with a propane torch, and then started beating on the rod untill it bent. I worked it around the pipe a little at a time untill it was about 1.25 turns around it. Then I cut thru it on the overlap with my chop saw. A bit more work with the propane torch and I got the ring over the eyebolt. I welded the end together with my mig welder.  It was gettiing dark, I'll have to clean the weld up tomorrow.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2007, 04:10:15 PM »
While there is still a bit of tweaking... waiting for some stainless carriage bolts and such, there comes a time when it has to be called done, to move on to the next project.

Offline lance

« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2007, 04:24:28 PM »
it's been a great project to watch Rickk, plus i really like that lead vent cover. so does this project now live outside in the elements full time?

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »
Pretty much... yup... weighs about 500#... to hard to move and no place to really put it.

I will stop by Walfart and see if they have some sort of plastic container that will cover most of it though. I found one that fits my mortar. I think the same sized container will fit this gun if I cut a hole in it for the barrel to stick out.

Notice the extra little step on the quoin... to angle the barrel down and keep the water out. I will make a tampion for it sometime in the very near future though.