Author Topic: Anybody ready to shoot a (3-1/2") 20ga 410gr slug at 2000 fps? NEW Information!  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
I can't see the benefit of making the slugs longer, most have to use a wad or filler to get it out to the 2-3/4". I guess Hastings wants a monopoly on a slug and barrel that only they market. I hope that H&R/NEF don't start chambering their 20's to 3-1/2".

http://www.slugsrus.com/News/pr05.htm
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Anybody ready to shoot a (3-1/2") 20ga 410gr slug at 2000 fps?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:36:28 AM »
Maybe it was designed for folks like the recoil of a 12ga but are not satisfied with the already high enough price of 12ga ammo. I confess I'm a little curious. Just a little.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:50:35 AM »
I wonder about how it feeds and ejects. Gotta wonder about the recoil in a 5 pound 20 gauge. Those are 450 marlin ballistics. I also wonder about penetration. Soft lead pancakes pretty fast at that speed,. I guess if you can only fire it in their barrels, Feeding is probably a done deal. Iagree, though, I don't see a need for the longer cartridge type, unless you are going a lot heavier inshot/slug weight than normal. You could just change your wad thickness otherwise.

Offline razdog76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:18:29 AM »
The slug is loaded to 12ga pressures.  The length is to prevent it from being chambered in guns the may not be able to handle it.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:12:00 AM »
so I guess we could just use a chamber reamer on our H&R/NEF's and be good to go, IF there was a desire or need for them....<><.... ???
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 03:42:49 AM »
No thanks. The standard 2 3/4 slugs kill em dead enough for me. I don't need the added recoil ,or expense of something like that.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 04:06:44 AM »
I agree, it's merchandising, pure and simple, they are trying to sell us something we don't want or need for more money. The sad part is there are those that will clamor to get them!!! Not I...
I still prefer foster slugs from my Tracker I's for the hunting I do in the heavily forested NorthEast. They are MUCH cheaper than the sabots and the deer are just as delicious....<><....  ;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Looks like H&R might be chambering for the 3-1/2" 20 ga slug afterall?

At first I thought Hastings, being a barrel manufacturer/marketer would be building these barrels, but I ran into some new information I thought you guys might like to know.

I guess Hastings will rechamber your H&R/NEF to 3-1/2".

I have a 20 ga Ultra Slug Hunter with 3" chamber, I use 2-3/4" slugs. Very managable recoil, but then again I am only shooting 250-260 gr bullets + whatever the sabot/gas checks weigh. At first I thought they were making replacement barrels, but then thought about ejection/feeding in autoloaders and pumps. So, I guess that Hastings may be looking for H&R/NEF and T/C to pick up the ball and run with it concerning the 3-1/2" chambers. The custom rifle in the second link appears to be a Ruger #1.

It says negotioations are in the works with H&R/NEF to build a rifle to accept the 3-1/2" slug.

If this slug actually takes off, I'm sure there will be others with the 3-1/2" chambering.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/hunting/photogallery/article/0,13355,1578864_6,00.html

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/new_products/shot07_012207/index1.html

Hastings 3-1/2" Slug ballistics.
http://www.hastingsammunition.com/id8.html
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Markus

• Moderators
I hate to admit it but this intrigues me more and more all the time.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
I would think it would not be difficult to extend the chamber of a 3" or even a 2.75" 20 gauge shotgun to 3.5 if you wanted to. Many have extended the chambers of old shorter chambered shotguns (2.5"?) to take the then new 2.75" shells. If there was interest it might be possible to rent or purchase a reamer and it could be passed from member to member as was done with the .357 Max and .445 Super Mag conversions....<><.... :)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
"Build it and they will come" I like the idea of new products and choices, the more the merrier. In the words of Yakov Smirnoff "What A Country"

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
I see this as a way to get around the state game laws that say shotgun only , if you can come up with a shotgun that will work like a rifle in the 200 yard range and still be legal this should fill the nitch .

But when did anyone have a shot were they needed a 200 yard slug gun ? i never have , but now i see a lot of guys trying to do it no matter weather they can shoot that well or not .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
I'll probably never be takin' any shots that long.  A 20ga carbine :o  Gotta love that ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
      On the lite side, I would like a 4" at 2200 fps- 250 yrds.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Markus

• Moderators
I would have to break out the chainsaw and brush cutter to be able to shoot 200 yards were I hunt.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
On the open plains of southern, MN I can see where some extra range could come in handi. But with the SST's it kinda makes this product a moot point. I just wonder when the DNR here is gonna start looking at all this new technology and start limiting it? They may as well start allowing pistol cartridge rifles. Which I for one would be for.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
I would have to break out the chainsaw and brush cutter to be able to shoot 200 yards were I hunt.
Yup...Same here. 
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Looks like Hastings and H&R/NEF have joined forces after all, check out the new Hasings "Open Field" 3-1/2" 20 ga slug gun. Look familiar?

http://www.hastingsammunition.com/id4.html
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member