Author Topic: Deer scrape in spring?  (Read 496 times)

Offline TheCrowkiller

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer scrape in spring?
« on: April 02, 2007, 03:52:49 AM »
I saw a strange thing while turkey hunting on Saturday: what looked to be a line of fresh deer scrapes

I thought that this was a fall/rut activity. These were small, about 1-2 feet in diameter, under a "licking branch", and one had a fresh wet area in it. I found 4 in a rough line along a well worn trail. These were freshly done, as there were no leaves or pollen (and those of you in N.E. Georgia know what I am talking about).  I don't think anyone is messing with me, as no one knew I was going turkey hunting.

Do I have a confused deer or is this normal?

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
Re: Deer scrape in spring?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:42:52 AM »
A friend of mine saw two deer with antlers still on this weekend in central Illinois so I would guess its still possible.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 07:18:17 AM »
We have several scrapes in our area that are used throughout the entire year. I don't think it's uncommon.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 01:19:27 PM »
They're probably the smaller territorial scrapes as opposed to the much larger breeding scrapes you find in the fall. I have found several over the years while spring turkey hunting also. Similar to hearing Turkeys gobble in the fall and winter.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"