Author Topic: Record low April temperatures across much of the country...  (Read 1521 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)

This blasted "global warming" is freezing us to death...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Record low April temperatures across much of the country...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 03:55:19 AM »
IRONGLOW. Sure is. Last tuesday evening we  got ice and hail. Just 10 miles from me it was from golf ball size to softball size. Several homes took real beatings, windows broken out, roofs actually punctured, and a number of vehicles beat to death. Here it wasn't so bad. The bridge accross the Ohio river was even closed for a while because of the hail and ice on the roadway. We'd gone all winter without enough snow to even cover the ground. Then Friday it was like a blizzard but the ground temp was too warm, later that night it stuck on the grass and covered the grass. Temp got down below 20, killed all of our flowers, even the lilacs. Only sposed to get up to 50 today. YEP, global warming is the pits. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 04:05:29 AM »
its been cold and snowy here all week.  I've cabin fever so bad I even did a load of laundry.  :-[

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 04:27:17 AM »
Yup down here in Bama we had been having temps in the 80s for quite some time and then all of a sudden the ice age returned here and it dropped to the mid 20s. Everything and I do mean EVERYTHING had greened out and was blooming.

It appears to have totally wiped out my blueberry crop for this year. All the leaves on trees and bushes such as our redbuds, Japanese magnolia, pecan, walnut and catalpa trees have been killed and who knows what else. It has totally devestated the southern fruit crop for this year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 05:17:36 AM »
Last week, Sunny, dry, and in the low 80s.  Friday the temp started to drop, we got down to mid 30s, woke up Saturday morning with a light coat of sleet over everything, then around 9am it started snowing, but the soil was too warm for any accumulation.  According to the weather forecaster, we will be back in the 80s before the end of the week, and then have another "cold" spell over the week-end.  Only in West Texas................

Eleven years ago on Good Friday we had a 9 1/2 inch snow, the largest amount of snow ever recorded in this area.  Two days before it had been in the 80s, and by Sunday it was back to the 80s and all the snow was gone.

Like the old timers say, "If you don't like West Texas weather, just stick around a couple of days, it will change."

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 07:20:13 AM »
Well guys I've been seeing that on the news.  Some places really got pounded last week hard.  Here in Alaska we just finished the coldest March on record.  We've been asking Where is Al Gore's global warming?  It's sure not here!  I came back from Florida in March expecting 40 degrees above, and found 40 degrees below.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:08:10 AM »
Walter Williams had a very good article in his editorial column in last weeks paper. It probably appears on his website. He is one of the few columnists writing today that I usually agree with.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:19:32 AM »
Al Gore is a Moron nuff said on that.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »
You people are just to cynical. What would all those scientists and college professors do if they lost the grant money from the govt if global warming was proven to be a myth. Or if it was found out, it was a natural occurring event, and there is nothing we are doing, that actually caused it, or could prevent it. Kinda like the mini ice age that happened 300-500 years ago. I did read that a scientist figured out that the ice age was caused by the Vikings rowing across the North Atlantic, stirred up the frigid waters from their oars, and caused the cool down. Those poor thinkers would have to come up with something else to explore. Like how to hook up a tube to a cows butt to catch the flatulence to power a SUV. Gives new meaning to the sticker on the side of a vehicle that sees it's powered by natural gas. We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline powderman

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 03:18:25 PM »
I walked back to the woods this afternoon and can't ever remember seeing the new leaves shriveled up and dead from the freeze the other night,certainly never in April. Some had turned black. POWDERMAN.  :( :( :( :( :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 02:11:58 AM »
  I assume that most of us agree that Al Gore is a moron..but how does that explain the millions of idiots that are following him like lemmings...right over a cliff ?

I believe Gypsyman got much of the answer..."follow the money trail"..   There is an industry out there..sucking up taxpayer's hard earned money..
   This industry knows full well that "global warming" is a bunch of..KA-KA..but if they all admitted what they really know;..no more of those lucrative government checks would fall their way.

We also must remember that there is a class of willing dupes ( Marx called them "useful idiots") who hate the USA so much, they will do anything or perpetuate any lie..just to damage the land of their birth .

Much of this is composed of "students" who, without the "seasoning of reasoning"..suck up and repeat every lie their Marxist leaning college instructors tell them.

Do we need evidence that this "ecology movement" is merely a "hate America" movement...simple...

Almost since the rebellious "sickening sixties" the "Green" crowd has been taking the USA to task...blaming us for all the pollution in the world.
  The US has installed all types of cleanup programs at very great cost to each of us...still it is the US that is cursed for "global warming".

It is an undisputed fact that the largest polluters in the world are China and India..just as the Soviet Union was throughout the 60s through 90s.

So when do we hear Al Gore, John Kerry and their lemmings giving China, India or in earlier days, the Soviet Union , a hard time about their massive, unchecked pollution ?

The answer; ...almost never....

..But then, we must realize that these "useful idiots" do not hate those countries nearly as much as they despise the USA..

After all...it was just this kind of meatheads that saw fit to specifically exclude China and India from the industry crippling strictures of the infamous " Kyoto Accord ".."

....GO FIGURE ! ...SHOULDN'T BE TOO HARD !

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Datil

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 04:09:31 PM »
 First in History we had snow in this part of N. E. Texas. in April
 Gore is dumb as a pile of rocks, Hasn't he heard weather & temp cycle.
 Been doing it for million years. Marv.

Offline magooch

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 04:35:14 AM »
There is a very considerable problem on the horizon that has to do with coal burning power plants.  This problem needs to be addressed for many serious reasons that has nothing to do with the climate.  The fact that the Algores have chosen to attach everything to global warming is doing a very harmful disservice to getting on with finding remedies for such problems.

Trying to solve real environmental problems with some overarching world wide set of rules is going to be a useless exercise and the economic strictures would prove to be devastating to any country that tries to comply.  What is needed is some clear thinking and resolve to tackle what are universally acknowledged problems and fix them in a practical time-frame and not be panicked by some doomsday theory.

If the Earth's climate is changing, I doubt very much if there is anything we can do about it and depending on how much it might change, it might be a good thing.  In any case, I'm hoping for more sunshine and warm weather.  Those who truly believe that CO-2 production is the problem, should live up to their convictions and quit doing it.
Swingem

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 06:02:02 AM »
Coal burning plants in this country have so many clean air standards that they have to abide by that its not much of a problem here.  They have all kinds of air scrubbers, filters, knockouts, etc.  The developing country's like china and India are way more of a problem than we are and there is nothing we can do about it. All the lefty's are worried about blaming Bush for everything but the extinction of dinosaurs and bashing the USA for everything that is wrong in the world today.  If I were Bush I would select a hostile country and tell all of the friendly's they have 1 day to get out.  Then make a glass parking lot out of it.  Enough of this tippy-toe crap.

Man it's cold today!
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 10:07:23 AM »
Sorry about the crops GB.
Any chance that they will re-do??
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »
I checked my peach orchard yesterday.  It is a total loss. Every bud I checked was black.  I have about 200 trees and just use it as additional income so it's not the end of the world.  The peach crop has been pretty much wiped out here in SC.  This summer it will be the frozen variety from last year.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
Sorry about the crops GB.
Any chance that they will re-do??
Blessings

Doubtful Bill. I think it's too late to see enough reblooms to matter. I'm sure a few will bloom again and a few berries will be produced but they will be so few and wide spread only the birds will benefit from it. We've just lost that source of income this year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 09:48:24 AM »
Woke up to snow this morning.  After having temps in the 50s, it snowed last night. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline magooch

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 04:45:53 AM »
Now Sourdough, you aren't going to try tell us this is the first time that's ever happened at the North Pole--are ya?
Swingem

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 05:21:50 AM »
Second major snow storm for April just winding down here in VT. They tell us that Sun, Mon & Tues we are getting a big Northester. Oh Joy. The grandkids had their Easter egg hunt in 6" of snow. Baa Humbug on that Groundhog's predictions & Al Gore global warming.

Offline toysoldier

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 03:38:56 PM »
There's far too much simplistic thinking going on. Global warming does NOT mean that EVERY place is ALWAYS going to be WARMER than usual. It involves the overall increase in average world temperature, which alters "usual" patterns. The result is more extreme weather, both hot and cold. In Kansas, we had the early spring/ cold snap too, along with one heck of a wet spring. Summer will probably be like last year--hotter and drier than "average". Long-established patterns are changing. Garden supply catalogs show growing zones shifting to the north, as are ranges of birds and insects. American glaciers are disappearing rapidly, and sea levels rising. Al Gore didn't imagine this. The fact is, our climate is experiencing change at a rapid pace. Is human activity responsible? Well, we've been pumping trillions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, while clearing the forests that remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and turn it into plant material. It's not as spectacular and immediate as the last eruption of the Yellowstone caldera, but certainly significant.

Offline Thundermaker

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 07:46:39 PM »
Global warming is the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind. Some folks just need something to be afeared of. Unless someone can explain who was pumping trillions of tonsof CO2 into the atmosphere centuries ago wich caused the last four ice ages. Do some research and you will find that the environmental movement is the new home of communism. It aint the atmosphere they are worried about its capitalism. Or maybe the sun is casing the warming??? NAW! thats to simple. Maybe there is too much CO2 in mars atmosphere to. The temp there is going up to.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 01:41:18 AM »
   You said it in a nutshell, Thundermaker..

Offline magooch

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 03:23:54 AM »
Notice how the war ;D
Swingem

Offline magooch

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 03:26:43 AM »
Okay, the above post is the result of selecting one of the little smiley face icons.  It erased all but what you see of my post.  What the heck is that all about?
Swingem

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 07:02:03 AM »
The silly spell checker so many begged for. The one Matt found won't let ya use smilies. So if you want to use smilies turn off the spell checker first.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline deltecs

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 12:49:33 PM »
Cold temperatures amid global warming.  On yesterdays news comments, the National Weather Center stated that on average this 2006-2007 winter was the warmest on record.  The next comment was that March broke all records for being the coldest ever.  It certainly was in places in Alaska.  In the 28 years living in Prince William Sound where zero is extremely rare to see on the stat, we've had the heaviest snowfall in my memory.  The second highest on record for Valdez.  I have some doubts about this global warming phenomenon.  It snowed this morning and left an 1" before it started to rain this afternoon.  This winter has been without a doubt the worst in my memory for temp and snowfall.  I still have over 5' of snow on my docks, which is most uncommon.  If we are indeed in a global warming trend, just how sure are we that is is man made or can be further prevented by man?  Is this a natural climate trend?  We've had little ice ages before, so why not little flares from climatic changes?   Also, how can the oceans rise to the extent discussed when the Artic Ocean after the ice melts will shrink.  If the land ice melts, then land temps will be higher thus holding more water vapor, so where in  >>> is the water coming from?  I'm open to answers.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Hooker

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 09:07:05 AM »
The smartest man I know Mr. Lake was my 9th grade science teacher. He was a strange mix of Christian, scientist, philosopher and a cynic.
He said that when science became a lucrative business it died. He also said that true science never sets out to prove anything only to know the facts. When they focus their efforts on an outcome they are already committed to they put the fly in the ointment.
They also ignore data that conflicts their's, such as the tree ring studies that show weather trends over long periods that predate record keeping. There is no profit in global warming if it is proven to be natural.
Also remember these are the same folks that were claiming in the 70s that we were headed for another ice age. The only thing science has proved in the last 3 decades is that most that most of the scientists are greedy and that some of them smoked way to much cheap dope in the decades before.
Mr. Lake had this to say about the destruction of the world. "This planet will not last one day longer or one day less than the Creator intended"

Pat   
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 10:37:06 AM »
  Amen, Hooker !

Couldn't have said it better myself ! Mr Lake had another attribute ( perhaps related to the first one you stated)...Mr Lake was an HONEST man...and he wasn't for sale...

Offline wncchester

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 11:55:43 AM »
[quote  "(Mr. Ward) said that when science became a lucrative business it died. He also said that true science never sets out to prove anything only to know the facts. When they focus their efforts on an outcome they are already committed to they put the fly in the ointment.  They also ignore data that conflicts their's, such as ....  [/quote]

You included a lot of good thought into a few words.  I only want to address the words quoted above.

Much of the scientists "proof" is based on computer modeling.  Computer modeling is in two forms, empirical and suppositional.  The first is checked against known facts, such as the flight characteristics of new aircraft based on known qualities of previous designs.  The second is based on the scientists own projections of what the future holds.  As mentioned above any factors or values that subtract from the desired projection are either deleted or changed so as to accomplish what the "researcher" desires the model to show! 

By definition, no one knows what the future, climatic or otherwise, actually holds nor what factors are significant in that future.  So the"'scientists" chose to adjust their models as needed to achieve results that assure they will get more money to pursue this turkey of a project.  In other words, it's blatant scare mongering done by scientists but it ain't science!  And it works, at least on many sheeple.

Remember, they admit the average temp increase of the "hottest on record" past century was about one degree and most of that was in the first half!  So, even if they are right, by projection we might reasonably assume that by 2100 our average temp will be a whole two more degrees warmer? 

And, ref. the Arctic ice caps shrinking, the photos we are shown are being shown were taken in the arctic summer and glaciers do that then you know!  Meanwhile, the Antarctic snow layers are increasing, so what's the big problem here?

Mr. Ward was right.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue