Author Topic: Charter Arms??  (Read 940 times)

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Charter Arms??
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:35:00 AM »
Hey all,

This seems like the correct place to ask a group my question.

I have a Rossi 88 revolver which has protected me for years and provided me with quite a bit of shooting enjoyment, until now.  An awful thing (for a defensive gun) happened to me with this revolver.  I was shooting and after one shot, the cylinder locked up and refused to advance.  Double action, single action, nothing would work.  I regrouped myself and after whacking the cylinder open with my fist on the edge of the bench, I saw that the fired cartridge had backed out and appeared to have expanded behind the cylinder.  I inspected my ammo and shot some more.  This happened a couple more times.  These were factory loaded rounds, not +p.  I returned the gun to the store, and they were not able to repeat the failure, as I'd shot up that box of ammo.  His answer was "don't use that kind of ammo".   I've stopped, but the mental damage is done.
I'm a revolver guy, because they "always go bang".  This one didn't and has lost my confidence.  That's is the first reason that I want it gone.
The second reason is that it is too big and heavy.  If I have something that size and weight, I might as well have a .357.  It's fun for practice, and I'll NEVER speak badly about its accuracy, but it is large for a small gun.
Third reason is that I feel I'd like a shrouded hammer.  All my practice drills are double action, and I don't need a fabric-snagger for the occasional single action "pop".
Now my question:
The Rossi is an import and has resale/trade value on par with used food.  I'm looking at a Charter Arms model as an "upgrade" as they are American made and priced so I won't take a soaking.  I'd like thoughts on these things; any good, Why? Why not? What types of problems has anybody had? Function? Reliable? WARRANTY?

Thanks much in advance.  You guys know a lot and I trust you to help me spend my HARD-EARNED money.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline coyotejoe

Re: Charter Arms??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:12:37 AM »
I'd put Rossi and Charter on the same plane as to quality and reliability, neither are among the best. I've had two Charter Bulldog .44s and both were likely to misfire in double action mode and trigger pulls were awful.  I'm also a revolver man but not because they "always go bang", I think you've just learned they don't. I like to play around with handloads and the revolver will fire anything I stuff into it, full wadcutters, birdshot, round balls, wax bullets, blanks, black powder, etc. And I don't have to crawl around in the sagebrush to recover the brass. But in fact, I've had more malfunctions with double action revolvers than with centerfire autos.
  If you need something smaller than the Rossi, I'd suggest the Kel-Tec P3AT. It's about as small and light as a pocket pistol can be made and still serve the purpose. Mine has digested every type of .380 ammo I could find and all without a bobble. Accuracy of aimed fire with the poor sights and awkward trigger is minute of wash tub but that is the last concern in a carry gun, which will likely never be carefully aimed, the first is that it works.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Awf Hand

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:23:11 AM »
Although my prob came about with factory loads, I reload as well and that is what I'm using for practice.  "the revolver will fire anything I stuff into it" is another reason that I prefer the wheelgun.  This is the first time I've ever had a CF revolver NOT go bang.  Thanks for your response.

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:44:55 AM »
I have the Rossi M885 and a Charter arms "Off Duty" both of which have been quite reliable.
Charter 's seem to rust very quickly for some reason though..  My Rossi is stainless so no
rust problem there. Never fired a +P in either one though, Standard pressure only..
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
I have one of the Rossi 88's and i like it a lot. Mine is about 20 yrs old (i think) and it has never failed to go bang. My buddy has one and it is also very dependable. I like the 3" barrel and the fact you can use +p if you want.  I don't like the Rossi 68 though. I have had two of these and the timing was off on both of them. If you want something a little smaller than the 88 and don't want to spend the bucks for S&W take a look at the Taurus 85 line-up. That is now my carry gun and I have had very good results with it.

Offline Awf Hand

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 09:20:05 AM »
My Rossi 88 owner's manual states "do NOT use +P.." ammo.  That is part of the appeal of the +p rated Charter.  In my area the Taurus costs more than the S&W in the ultralight, shrouded hammer model.  ($429 vs $399)  An acquaintance of mine had a warranty issue with a Taurus.  He was a bit disappointed with their non-service.  Maybe I'm a fool for doing so, but I'd still like to hold my grudge against S&W..(?)

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »
I have owned a .44 Bulldog for more years than I care to remember. The little gun has never failed me, with reloads or factory ammo.  I understand the new one are not as well made as they were twenty-five years or so ago.

If you are stuck on a revolver, why not take a look at some of the police trade-ins found in shotgun news.  I have seen the S&W model 10, as well as several other models advertised at a very reasonable price, (around $200.) also go on line to CDNN and take a look there.  I think a police trade-in would serve most people very well and remain a reliable gun if needed for self defense. 

If you want a nice reliable auto, take a look at the Kel-Tec P9, get one in a 9mm so you can take advantage of the cheap ammo that is available, load her up with a good JHP and stuff it in your pocket as a concealed carry gun.  You should be able to locate a P9 for about $300.  The p9 is a very small auto, 7 shot, and light as a feather.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:49:13 AM »
I have owned 6 Charter's and loved them all.  They have been trouble free and accurate.  Charter's are under-rated and a better gun than the rumor mills would have you believe.  This one is on the short list of guns I will never sell, love it!  44 Man.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 05:45:23 AM »
My Rossi 88 owner's manual states "do NOT use +P.." ammo.  That is part of the appeal of the +p rated Charter.  In my area the Taurus costs more than the S&W in the ultralight, shrouded hammer model.  ($429 vs $399)  An acquaintance of mine had a warranty issue with a Taurus.  He was a bit disappointed with their non-service.  Maybe I'm a fool for doing so, but I'd still like to hold my grudge against S&W..(?)
Maybe we are talking about 2 different revolvers. My rossi is  stainless with 3" barrel. The box says 88 and it is +p rated. It was purchased many years ago tho'. Maybe the numbers on their guns has changed since then?

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 11:56:49 AM »
I own a Charter 2000 Bulldog and had it go bad after the first shot.  I contacted the warranty department and sent it back and they had it fixed in a week.  Haven't tried it again yet, but I won't carry it until I do.

Offline coyotejoe

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
I also had a Charter 2000 stainless bulldog.  It seemed to be reasonably accurate with loads it liked but I soon noticed the cylinder gap was growing. On investigation I discovered that the barrel was not threaded into the frame, it was deeply knurled and PRESSED into the frame. The cylinder gap had increased because the barrel was creeping forward, out of the frame. That is a pretty crappy way to build a gun. It's a shame, the Charter Bulldog is by far the smallest and lightest .44 available but I'd not have another, the quality just isn't there. If forced to choose between Charter and Rossi I'd take the Rossi every time. I know some folks just love there Charter Arms guns, but that is the way of cheap, poor quality guns, they vary a great deal from one to another. My experience with them has not been good and I'd hate to trust my life to one.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
Its rare than anybody kicks themselves for saving their money and buying quality.  ;)
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »
I have  had a Charter Arms 44 since 1976 and have never had one not go bang every time it was supposed to.Just my 2c   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 10:51:18 AM »
I have limited experience with Charter guns, they seem a little on the fragile side, but maybe that's just me.  I like a little mass in my revolvers.  The  suggestion about finding a police trade-in is a good one, they are out there, and most have been shot very little.  I picked up a PD trade-in several years ago, a Smith M-65 three-inch, and it's by far my favorite revolver.  I slicked up the action and shaved off the hammer spur, since I only shoot DA anyway, and it helps with the carry qualities.  I usually shoot +P's in it, magnums are doable but pretty fierce, even with the heavy barrel.  The price was reasonable, and it will outlast me by plenty.  I like the 65 over the 64 since it shoots either round, the 64 is a 38 only, but either one should serve you well, and will stand up to plenty of abuse.  I use my to shoot clay pigeons on the backstop at 50 yards, and even with low fixed sights, if I miss, I can't blame the gun.

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?