Author Topic: 41 Mag. Heavy Wt. Bullet data  (Read 759 times)

Offline Turk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
41 Mag. Heavy Wt. Bullet data
« on: May 18, 2003, 02:07:15 PM »
Anyone have loading data for heavy wt. bullets for the 41 mag. ?  

I just got a 250 gr. mould WFN from Ballisti-cast moulds a great bullet at 248 gr.  This is my first Ballisti-cast mould and it's top quality.  I'm using Lyman GC which fall off.  Sure wish Hornady made 41 mag. GC.  I used some CA (Cyanoacrylate) glue (it's the glue you use to build remote control airplanes)  once glued the check stays.  I loaded up a few rounds with H-110 and go a three inch group from 25 yards.  I'm also impacting at 314 yards in a hill side this will be a interesting long range bullet to shoot.

Thanks,

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 04:58:59 PM »
Turk:

The heaviest I can find offhand is for a 240 SWC--15 grains of 4227 for 930 fps.  You might take a look at sixgunner.com.  I think there's some links to heavy .41 loads somewhere in there.
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Orygun Mark

Re: 41 Mag. Heavy Wt. Bullet data
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 05:01:20 PM »
Quote from: Turk

From the Lee loading manual:
20.5 grs H110  no other grs for this powder.
18-20 grs H4227.
Orygun

Offline Majic

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 06:34:38 PM »
I have a old Lee mold that drops bulles weighting 250gr. The powders that I have used with good results are 20.0gr of H110, 19.6 gr of IMR-4227, and 17.5gr of AA#9. The AA#9 load is not near max, but accuracy started to fall off as I increased the powder.
I have a good 195gr mold, but the 250gr has become my do eveything bullet. It shoots well at low and high velocities.

At the range I used to shoot at I could shoot at the 10" gongs. These gongs were for rifle shooter and placed 300yd downrange. With just a little hold over (and a whole lot of practice) I got so I could get 1 or 2 hits out of 6 rounds

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Re: 41 Mag. Heavy Wt. Bullet data
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 10:38:48 PM »
Quote from: Turk

I just got a 250 gr. mould WFN from Ballisti-cast moulds a great bullet at 248 gr.  This is my first Ballisti-cast mould and it's top quality.  I'm using Lyman GC which fall off.  Sure wish Hornady made 41 mag. GC.  I used some CA (Cyanoacrylate) glue (it's the glue you use to build remote control airplanes)  once glued the check stays.  I loaded up a few rounds with H-110 and go a three inch group from 25 yards.  I'm also impacting at 314 yards in a hill side this will be a interesting long range bullet to shoot.

Thanks,

Turk

Turk,
Kelly Brost gives a starting load of 19.0 gr. of W296 for both his 250gr. GC and PB bullets. He is the honcho of Cast Performance Co. Look for the July/August '98 issue of American Handgunner as John Taffin has loads for heavy bullets in that issue. Have you tried crimping on Hornady gas checks for the .416? I've seen that recommended in reading I've done. If it were a PB mold, you could set yourself up to use frechecs. These are made of aluminum and Hanned Precision makes the tool. I really like the 250gr.WFNGC as a do-everything bullet. I've got a mold from NEI which puts out great bullets, too. I've yet to try ballisticast. Can't wait until Verl fires up LBT again.  Have fun with the heavies. They have a nitch of their own. RKBA!
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »
IVe used that bullet with the hornady .416s and they seem to work good. ALot better then the lymans anyway.
blue lives matter

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 03:07:17 AM »
Joe,

I now remember that article now that you mentioned it.  I'll dig through my issues as I sure I've still have it.  

Concerning the Ballisti-cast mould something I really like about it the spruce plate is a trough type which puts a lot of alloy over the holes.  The bullets were consistant in wt.  Really excellent workmanship.    Ordered another one for my 45 Colt/45 Casuall in a LFN GC 325 gr. bullet.

I orginally wanted a mould from Mountian Mould but they currently do not make a 4 cav. as I've heard nothing good imput about their moulds.

I guess I'll have to get a box of those Hornady .416 GC and give them a try.

Thanks everybody for the info.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA