Author Topic: Slugs for a Tracker 2  (Read 841 times)

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
Slugs for a Tracker 2
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:31:17 AM »
Hey, guys.   I am branching out into some new ways of hunting hogs, and I want to use a shotgun with slugs.  I have a Tracker 2 o n order, and I was wondering if Remington Sluggers and Lightfield Hybred slugs will function reliably in a Tracker 2.   I ask because I am using an SB1 receiver and I don't want the pressures to be too high.
Any info is greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone has any data from where the chronied either of these slugs, I would be very interested.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
Re: Slugs for a Tracker 2
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
You will probably find that Foster style slugs will lead up the rifling in a Tracker II barrel. Sabot slugs work well. An SB1 receiver is what the Tracker II is shipped on, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline GrassLakeRon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:17:46 AM »
Hi,

I went through the same problem this last few months.  Sluggers shot well.  Yes it did lead up a bit but I put 25 rounds through it and accuracy was still good.  I good cleaning fixed it when I got home.  I also shot Hornady SST in it.  They did ok.  I would spend money on a Limbsaver Recoil Pad.  5 1/4 lbs launching a pumbkin ball had its effect on the ole shoulder.  Good Luck in your quest.

Ron

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:33:16 AM »
I've had great accuracy and on game performance with 2 3/4" federal premiums with the barnes xpander bullet. Sluggers though cheap will lead up the barrel pretty quick.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline RugerNo3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 11:38:52 AM »
Anyone try the Dixie Slugs, yet? More popular in the south, but they'd work up north as well.
www.dixieslugs.com
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »
According to Dixie's website, they are tested in an H&R/NEF rifle, but make sure it is an SB2 receiver for your own sake. SB1 receivers can't take the pressure.
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:52:01 AM »
I have found that my SB1 receivers are fine for Dixie Slugs. I have shot them and they are great. I am going to buy more as well as some of their "Tr-Ball" loads. I think they would be great for up close and personal hog medicine. The only time I hunted hog I used my longbow with homemade wooden arrows. My buddy did carry a S&W .44 Mag with stoutly loaded and hard cast semi-wadcutters he had loaded up especially for the trip....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley