Author Topic: New Member Checking In--With Questions  (Read 940 times)

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

• Trade Count: (0)
New Member Checking In--With Questions
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:41:29 PM »
Hello everybody. I've been looking at the forum for a few days now and have really enjoyed learning about this stuff. As you can see by my name, I am a preacher. I am an Alabamian and enjoy shooting big guns. Guns don't get much bigger than cannons and mortars, I suppose, unless they are named "Gustav!" ;)

Anyway, I am looking to buy a cannon of 1" bore or larger. I like the idea of the golf ball cannon. Most likely, I would be shooting blanks most of the time, though. What would you recommend for a good boom? I like the look of Dominick's golf ball shooting Civil War replica with the 24-inch barrel. It is modern looking. Is that a good boomer? I like the French 75 even more, but cannot make that big of a purchase now.

Also, I have 2 lbs. of  Hogdon's pyrodex ffg powder I never used for muzzle loading rifle. Can that be used for a cannon? I stopped by my local ammo shop today to see if they sold Goex, but they said they gave up their license recently because the government wanted too much information and had too many regulations. I guess I will have to get Goex shipped to me if I want to use it.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure more questions will follow. ;D
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
Re: New Member Checking In--With Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:56:32 PM »
   Hi Preacher,  Thanks for your interest in the cannons I'm currently building.   I am in the process of designing a smaller scale 'French 75' and civil war cannon in Golf Ball bore which will sell for less than the 20" models.  These will have a powder chamber for smaller charges.  To answer your question concerning  the use of Pyrodex brand powder, Pyrodex works best with ball loads where there is higher pressure involved.  You will more than likely be disappointed  when firing a blank charge with it.  Goex Cannon grade is what I would recommend for a 1.75" straight bore [golf ball size] cannon.  You could also use FG grade in a reduced quantity.   The powder grain size for a reduced chambered bore cannon is determined by the diameter of the powder chamber.  If the chamber is less than 1" diameter, Then FFG or coarser is fine. You can always use a coarser grain powder as it produces less pressure in the same quantity as the finer grain powder would.  Also, a good place for  mail ordering  black powder is PowderInc.com .  They sell in 5 lb minimum orders.   Thanks, Dom 

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:27:26 PM »
Dominick,

Thanks for answering my questions. I have a few more, of course.

Do the 20" wheeled versions fit through a normal door? They look like they would. I've got a workshop with only a standard door for storage.

Also, can you do the carriage in the green paint and barrel in black on the Civil War version?

If I think of any more specific questions, I will PM you.

Thanks a lot.
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »

Hey Preacher,

Welcome to the Board, I must say Dominick puts out a great product.. He has done several custom Jobs for Me,  I'm sure He can build a great cannon to fit your needs. looking forward to seeing your new cannons pictures or videos posted here for all to enjoy. Good luck !!

Ed

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »
Do the 20" wheeled versions fit through a normal door? They look like they would. I've got a workshop with only a standard door for storage.

Also, can you do the carriage in the green paint and barrel in black on the Civil War version?

Yes on both questions..Total width of axle is 27"  Green paint is at no extra charge

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »
I've got a yard stick out trying to get an idea of the dimensions. Sounds good. Can you tell me the overall length of the Civil War golf ball cannon? Also, does it use a hammer-type of ignition or other type? Last, will a cannon built in Pennsylvania work properly in Alabama? ;D

Thanks for the input, El Cazador 66. What do you shoot?
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 04:34:06 AM »
Your welcome preacher, I have a long list of scale cannons & mortars most are for display others for fire & smoke. Here are 2 of Dominick's projects that I own.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaWh0iZJD4g   .58 cal F-75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1j5Y9zHNtY      Golfball Mortar

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 08:22:17 AM »
Nice videos! The French 75 and Mortar are impressive. The recoil system on the 75 is awesome. The smaller cannons have some bark, too, and look good.

I've always been interested in cannons. We visited Vicksburg when I was young and often have gone to Forts and other sites--especially Fort Pickens, when we lived in Pensacola. At the big July 4th shows in P'cola, they would shoot off a few volleys of cannon fire toward the end of the show. Lots of smoke there. Last year, we went to the Indian Mound festival south of us and some re-enactors were firing a good size field cannon. It probably had just over a four-inch bore. It was a lot of fun to see, feel and hear (in that order, I think) them shoot it. They shot the cannon throughout the day, so we got to see it from as close as twenty feet away and as far away as across the lake. When we left, it was setting off car alarms hundreds of yards from across the lake and we could feel the thump in the car. That piqued my interest, to say the least!
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
Dominick, I sent you an e-mail. ;D
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »
Hey we have a Chaplain!!! We have had a "preacher" two around for a while.  Not a real honest to goodness soul saving Preacher though. Nagger more like always telling us to practice safety always preaching at us!!. Got you your work cut out for you here Preacher. Welcome!!

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 06:34:46 AM »
Hey we have a Chaplain!!! We have had a "preacher" two around for a while.  Not a real honest to goodness soul saving Preacher though. Nagger more like always telling us to practice safety always preaching at us!!. Got you your work cut out for you here Preacher. Welcome!!

Thank you for the welcome. I'll just sit in the pews and soak it up or sleep, since I am not qualified to preach to this group. Once I have read the Bible of the The More Complete Cannoneer and have been faithful in doing good works of making noise, I might preach a little.
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 07:13:58 AM »
Welcome to the group. I've only been here a short time, and it's been a great place! Glad I found it.

I'm sure you could work a few signal shots into a sermon to wake up the people on the back rows! :D
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 08:02:49 AM »
Preacher,

Welcome to the group!  Sounds like you have the right attitude to become an artilleryman.  Are you aware though, that just after the Civil War, three huge, muzzle loading, 20 inch Dahlgren Naval guns were produced and subsequently sold to some South American countries, Peru being one.  All three were named. Their names were:
Lucifer, Satan, and Beelsebub!  Any comments?

Glad to have you on board.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:09:27 AM »
Maybe I could have someone out in the parking lot light a 15-inch Rodman off about halfway through my sermons. Of course, we might not have a building anymore, then.
http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc/pickens4.htm  <-- I think this is the biggest cannon I ever saw in person. I read somewhere that charges would be 50 lbs of powder and projectiles were up to 435 lbs. Ouch!

Those 20-inch "Devil" guns must be huge! It's funny that you brought up those names because I am thinking about naming mine "Brimstone" or something similar. I  might put it in gold lettering. I bet anyone on the wrong end of those 20-inch guns would think they were up against Satan! :o

By the way, I have another question--For what is the rope on the trail of a field cannon used? Is it just to keep rope handy for hangings? ;)

Thanks for the welcome, Tony
US Army--Field Artillery

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 01:28:15 PM »
.... I'll just sit in the pews and soak it up or sleep, ....

Now Rev.  YOU know that active participation is REQUIRED!!

Welcome to the board!  You're doing it right - posting pix and asking a question or two at a time. 

If you had your choice, which cannon (or mortar) would you want to play with first/most?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
By the way, I have another question--For what is the rope on the trail of a field cannon used? Is it just to keep rope handy for hangings? Wink

The "prolonge"  rope is a general purpose rope that had many uses.  A few were: In a hasty retreat or to reposition the cannon the prolonge was tied to the saddle of a horse and the cannons trail andthe cannon was moved quickly.  It was used sometimes for removing the barrel from the carriage.    If the cannon was on the crest of a hill the prolonge was sometimes used to tie off the cannon to prevent it from recoiling too far. 

Offline Preacher_of_Boom

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
 If you had your choice, which cannon (or mortar) would you want to play with first/most?  

I like the bigger bore guns; a 2.75" bore would suit me just fine! This howitzer is perty–>    http://www.wildimports.com/new_page_4.htm   I hate to say it, but I favor the cannons over the mortars for the boom. A full-size 12-pounder (4.5") would be very nice. I would be happy just to watch somebody else shoot those off for me, though. I'll have to be pragmatic. Maybe, I can find a skirmish somewhere nearby.

But, I like the mortars for the smoke and trajectory! In mortars, I really like the looks of El Cazador 66's.   http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,110959.msg1098337311.html#msg1098337311   Remember, I say to myself–“Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s mortar.” :'(  Maybe in a size where I could stick my hand down the bore. Hmmmm... That green paint on the howitzer would be nice on this one, too. Nice mortar, Ed.

For my wallet’s sake, I am looking at getting a golf ball cannon. It ought to be a lot of fun! That will give me enough shots per can of powder to be affordable, also, I hope. And, it might not cause my neighbors to call the police if I decide to celebrate July 4th. Or, it might! I live out in the country with 40 acres behind me (not mine-a friend's), but I am just across the road from neighbors. We kind of have a contest every year to see who can shoot the biggest fireworks. So, they probably won’t mind. I also like the fact that a golf ball size is easy to move, and it will fit through my workshop door. Of course, I could fit a huge mortar through my door! I might even have to put in a garage door one day! ;D

Thanks for the information on the rope, Dominick.
US Army--Field Artillery