Author Topic: R&R 12ga barrels  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
R&R 12ga barrels
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:05:56 AM »

I just got off the phone with the nice folks at R&R Arms...and ordered my first barrel from them,this is the standard 12ga barrel...not the muzzler loader type by-the-way.. They are real nice to work with by the way if you guys are wanting additional barrels....(thanks for the link Quick ;) )...The reason I ordered another one is my new boss at work is going to take me spring turkey hunting next week and do all the calling for me ;D...I've only been spring turkey hunting a couple times in my life...and it was a disaster ever time I went...so...I'm looking forward to this outing and hoping my luck has changed.....I figured  since I sold off my Winchester O/U's last fall that I normally would use...I thought I would use a scope on it...So I snagged one of their remaining 2 real tree H/D barrels with the xtra full choke tube and the built in scope rail and try it out......The price was nice for it...$177.00 plus shipping....Looks like that 3x9 Bushnell with the circle + cross hairs is going to get used after all..... ;)  Boy-o-boy...more toys to shoot...So...What is every ones favorite 12ga turkey loads...and what choke tubes work good for you?

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: R&R 12ga barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 07:15:56 AM »
Sounds like fun, Mac!! I use a Mad Super Max hevi-shot tube in my 835, it shoots best with Rem #6 3½" Hevi-shot, but also performs excellent with the much less expensive Federal Mag-shok lead Flight Control #6. Just be aware that at close range, 15yds and under, their is no pattern, just a big slug!!

Tim

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0031739227357a.shtml
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 07:19:09 AM »

So...the heavy shot works out of extra full tubes ok normally?

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 07:34:14 AM »
The tube needs to be rated for Hevi-shot, but yes, they work great for those designed for it. I've tried several, the Mad works the best of all including Briley, Trulock, Rhino. Comp-N-choke and 3 or 4 others that I tried. It's also the longest which probably has a lot to do with it. The 835 is overbore, that's why the tube is .695". I've made kills from 20yds to well over 50yds with it. I'd limit the shots to 40yds with lead shot as it doesn't have the pellet energy of Hevi-shot, even tho the pattern density is great.

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 06:31:55 AM »

Ooooooooowch :o :o :o :o :o

I just price some of that Heavy shot ammo in different brands...and all the other kinds of new shot that is out there on the shelves...I can feed the biggest Weatherby center fire rifle cheaper... :o :o I went with the Federal Premium copper plated magnums  3"  2oz's in # 4shot..#5shot..and #6 shot...3 boxes of it and still $6.00 less than 1 box of the other...Heck...for those prices...it had better call in the bird for me...and clean & dress it too  :D :D :D

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 07:07:44 AM »

Well...let me tell you guys what has happened over the last 3 days with my barrel I ordered from R & R...I placed my order on Tuesday afternoon...and the Brown truck showed up on yesterday morning at 10am... :o :o :o I was on the phone calling those nice folks to get my tracking number when ups was delivering my barrel...Talk about fast service...I couldn't believe it...so I hung up the phone...went down to my reloading room and eagerly opened the box.... :o :o :o :o Their warehouse shipped the wrong barrel...They sent me a muzzle loader barrel instead...Durn...back on the phone I go...explained what happened...Mike & Joanna at R&R...very upset...about the mix up...very apologetic...Mike assures me I'll have my barrel in time for next weeks hunt...Then he check their stock...no more camo barrels...dang it...so...I had them ship me a regular 26" blued one instead...no big deal really...Not a problem they say...Well..at 11 am this morning...my new 12ga blued 26" barrel arrived on my door steps...What great service this company gives...I tip my hat to these very nice honest folks...Oh...you guys are going to like this...check out this set up...I think it is very cool...It's what comes on the shotgun barrels...both types BTW...It's got a built in open sites directly on the front of the scope rail...These are the same great Williams Fire Sites that you can get for the center fire barrels...

Here's the front site that shows the extended turkey choke tube that comes with it as well..

All in all this set up looks great...I got 3 different shot sizes of the Federal 3" mags to try site in for...and I'm using that Bushnell 3x9 circle x scope that I got when I bought this frame with the 50 cal mz barrel on it...The scope is new...and will be my first Bushyscope in a long time...hopefully it holds up to the 3" mags...

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 07:13:22 AM »
Ya can't beat that, can ya!!  ;)

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 12:14:47 PM »

80 rounds of 3" mags thru it today I shot Federal's Premium 4-5-6 shot..Winchester Supreme 6 shot...and Heavy Shots own 5's & 6's......Keeping everything in a 30" circle at 40 yards...averaging 8-10 in the skull & spine on the Big Tom turkey target...My shoulder is a little sore..but not to bad...Put 40 rounds thru the factory supplied tube at 32 yards...did about the same as the Carlson .660" tube does at 40..Took 1 45 yard shot and put about the same in the kill...Patterns are nice and even with both tubes...It jumps about 6"-8" with the factory tube...and about 4-5" with the ported Carlson...The Heavy Shot didn't do as good as the Federals or Winchesters..so I won't be using it this time around...
I'll try to post some pics of the targets tonite...the mailman just dropped off my new stainless 308 barrel...so I have to play with that for awhile... ;D ;D ;D
Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
 ;D

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 04:10:08 PM »
...the mailman just dropped off my new stainless 308 barrel...so I have to play with that for awhile...

You have got it rough don't ya?

lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 04:50:07 PM »

Yup..It's a rough job...but someone has to do it... :D :D :D :D :D

Mac

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »
80 rounds of 3" mag. is a lot of magnum shooting. That speaks well of the recoil reducing qualities of the stock & especially the recoil pad. If you are sipping your wine using your right hand tonight, that is a good sign.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 11:13:22 AM »
That is a nice barrel. I like it.
I got a couple questions for ya Mac. All of the shotgun barrels come standard D&T with scope rail and Williams open sights? What is the thickness of the chamber area?
What kind of chokes do these use?
I realize you are going turkey hunting, but I got to admit am curious how they do with some Brenneke slugs ;D

I agree with nomo, 80rds of 3" mags is brutal :o :-X :-X

Nice pics as always Mac 8)

-Aaron

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 06:53:05 PM »

Arron...The side wall as best I can measure it comes out to .125" thick...and the blued ones are 4140 steel...and the stainless are 416R stainless...More than enough for any 12ga. load...

The choke tube threads are of the regular Winchoke threads...so it will accept all of the Winchokes..Browning Invector,Mossberg,Savage..and a few others...It comes equipped with that extended Xtra Full turkey choke..I don't know who made them for CVA...one could call and ask...and I added a Carlson's .660" ported one for testing...The barrels comes with the Williams fire sights already installed....Since the receiver is fairly thin...they have a 2pc rear base system..After turkey season I'll take it all apart and snap some pics for you...The have a fitted piece that the scope base fits over that is welded onto the barrel nicely..It is drilled and tapped for the top half...and they use 2 very large threaded allen screws looks like 8-32 to secure it to the welded piece.The top half of the rear base has matching notches cut into it...and just by looking at it as it's installed you would never know it was this way..They front site is normal and is drilled and tapped...

I saw some nice rifled tubes at Cabela's when I picked up the extra choke tube and more ammo...It will probably do ok I'm sure for slugs...and if they get enough request for it..probably will offer a full rifled version...I didn't shoot all 80 at onces...I took about a 2 hour break when I ran out of ammo to try and went to the store to get some more...It wasn't real bad...but those last 2 boxes of ten was getting difficult for me..that ported choke tube is loud..and the Winchester ammo is a-lot hotter than the Federal...so I was glad to quite at 80...

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »
Thank you ;D You answered 110% of my questions.
I look forward to hearing how she does.

Offline jrkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 09:44:35 AM »
Mac have you tried shooting any slugs through your slug barrel?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 12:48:14 PM »

Nope...just turkey loads..

Mac