Author Topic: what is a good beginner 9 mm  (Read 1028 times)

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
what is a good beginner 9 mm
« on: May 18, 2003, 05:37:26 PM »
My son (20yrs old, with good gun habits and actual safety training) wants a 9 mm pistol for target shooting.

What is a good choice, without breaking his bank.  He prefers an external hammer, and target sights or at least good fixed sights.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline Majic

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 05:57:22 PM »
For the money value on a really good pistol I suggest he look at the CZ-75 or 85.

http://www.cz-usa.com/_p/p00.php

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 06:01:20 PM »
Happyhunter :  I would see if I could locate a used baretta 92f if possible as I had one and it was vary accurate but sold it as it was too much gun to carry on a daily basis for me, now the cost issue will be dificult to say the least. :D   JIM

Offline JOE MACK

• Avid Poster
Re: what is a good beginner 9 mm
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 10:12:04 PM »
Quote from: HappyHunter
My son (20yrs old, with good gun habits and actual safety training) wants a 9 mm pistol for target shooting.

What is a good choice, without breaking his bank.  He prefers an external hammer, and target sights or at least good fixed sights.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Fred

You could also look at the Ruger P-series. There are about a dozen different styles like, DAO, safety, de-cock, polymer frame, stainless, blued, two-tone, etc. They are a lot of bang for the buck, too. RKBA!
JOE MACK aka Brian aka .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 02:06:03 AM »
I would recomend a Browning High Power. You should buy him something that won't depreciate in value or at least hold it's value. Before you buy one, ask the gun shop what they'll give you for a used Ruger or Taurus and get a feel for what you'll lose after you buy one.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2003, 05:54:31 AM »
Based on what you've asked, I'd say either a CZ-85 Combat or an EAA Witness.  If he goes the Witness route or gets any CZ other than the 85 Combat, he'll probably have to change the sights to get what he wants.

Offline KN

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 12:58:38 PM »
Tarrus 92/99. Almost a clone of the barreta for a couple hundred less.  KN

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Beginner's 9mms
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 04:25:53 AM »
Happyhunter:  If you are not looking to break the bank and I assumed from your posting you are not, then there are a number of used 9mms out there that would satisfy your son's desire for a 9mm to plink and shoot.  

My preference would always be for the Browning High Power - you can install some very nice sights very easily; it is a single action auto and you can easily obtain match grade drop-in barrels in 9mm that will make it a real target shooter.  I also love the Walther P-38.  A lesser expensive idea is the Tokarev in 9mm, and from there I would look at High Power clones, used Beretta's, used Smith and Wesson Model 39/59 if you can find them.  Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline jamie

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 08:48:35 AM »
I guess I will be the lone guy to say pick up a police trade in Sig.  Nope, they don't come with adjustable sights, but I haven't came across a Sig that needed the sights adjusted.
AMMO...
LiFe, Liberty and the Pursuit of all those that threaten it!

Offline HoCoMDHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 10:38:30 AM »
I bought a used Ruger P94dc a couple years ago.  It is my only 9mm but between my wife and I we have fed it about 10,000 rounds without a problem.  Nice gun for about $300.
Doin' my best to keep up with Maryland's one handgun a month law.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 07:58:18 PM »
Ruger P95. Good solid gun, $300 or less, and if you get it before September, you'll get a $40 rebate from Ruger. That's a hard deal to beat. :shock:
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Got the gun, went with High Power.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 01:17:42 AM »
Well I ended up with a Browning High Power, 9mm, Belgium.

The fit and finish is remarkable on this circa 1980 gun!  Don't shoot bad either.  Came with adjustable rear sight for windage and elevation.

Only problem is my son wants a Baretta, so I just got my self "another new gun".  I did not even know that I would like a 9, but I think I will adjust for this one.

Thanks for all the advice. :D
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.