Author Topic: bore a 1" hole in 4" round bar..... please advise  (Read 1454 times)

Offline firebuckeye

• Trade Count: (0)
bore a 1" hole in 4" round bar..... please advise
« on: April 11, 2007, 07:11:41 AM »
I am trying to find a local machine shop put a 1" hole 12" deep in a 16" piece of 1018 4" diameter.  Is this really a difficult task?  No one seems able to do it.  One shop wanted 100.00 and that seemed high?   Exactly how is this done?  Just want to know what a 1" bore would sound like, as I am going to have a nice cannon professionally built someday. 

Thanks
Brad

Offline masek77

• Avid Poster
Re: bore a 1" hole in 4" round bar..... please advise
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 07:38:39 AM »
Machine shop prices vary quite a bit.

First I would suggest you look around. The cheapest price is not always the best deal either.

I had a small machining job that I shopped locally for months before I gave up and tried some shops that were on the other side of the state or even in other states. I ended up with quite a few bids some very very low and some in the thousands of dollars.

The low bids were most likely from people who intended to take what I sent them and scam me. In fact, in checking the references of the lowest bidder I found that he has a history of taking orders and disappearing. The super high bids were from people looking to find someone who didn't know any better.

A hundred dollars is generally reasonable in the machine shop world. Most shops work for 80 dollars an hour, minimum of one hour so that isnt too far off. Just check references before you do anything, especially if the shop is a distance away.

You might want to consider making two or three barrels and selling the others. Your machine shop cost would go up but it wouldnt triple for three pieces and your per unit cost would be less. After you sold the other barrels your total machining cost might be zero or at least close to it.

Offline firebuckeye

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:45:19 AM »
Thanks,  all I am wanting to do right now is put a 1" hole in the piece.  No machining or nothing.  I take it that it is not as easy as just drill it and its done.  It must be fairly time consuming, I take it? 

Brad

Offline masek77

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 07:55:30 AM »
IMO this is most definitely a machining job and not something you can do with your cordless drill....lol.

You want the "hole" straight? Do you want it concentric with the outside of the barrel? If you said yes then you need a machinist.

A good quality cannon is worth a lot of money. Just look at someof the prices on some of the websites. They arent cheap.

Offline firebuckeye

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 07:59:10 AM »
I understand.  I thought it was just chuck it up in a lathe, drill a 1/2" hole and then a 1" hole.   I am clueless to whats involved.  I meant not machining the outside of it.  Thanks for the replies!

Brad

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 04:42:11 PM »
I am trying to find a local machine shop put a 1" hole 12" deep in a 16" piece of 1018 4" diameter.  Is this really a difficult task?  No one seems able to do it.  One shop wanted 100.00 and that seemed high? 

Brad,  If some machine shops know that they are drilling it for a cannon barrel, they may be reluctant to do the job because of liability reasons.  What you want done is not a difficult job if the shop has a 1" diameter drill bit of proper length.       Dom

Offline firebuckeye

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 03:13:57 AM »
Thanks Dom,  I think I may have found someone to do it inexpensively.  I appreciate every ones knowledge on this.  Thanks again!

Brad

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »
I need your mailing address.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline firebuckeye

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 01:32:03 AM »
Thank!!!!!   

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 10:09:06 AM »
Got it.  You can edit it out of the above post if you want.  Packed; will go to PO Monday.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 10:39:31 AM »
Any sign of this?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline firebuckeye

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 10:46:54 AM »
Hey,  Yes I received it the other day.  I hope to fire it off this weekend.  I appreciate all the effort you went to in making the box for it to be shipped in.  Thanks again!

Brad 

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »
Having received my shipment of contest steel with large tears in the box, I figured the bracing was the only way it would get there more or less intact.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline firebuckeye

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »
It was very much intact.  the box was perfect.  A buddy of mine is now getting interested in this stuff.  And a guy at work thinks the golf ball mortar would be fun!  I think we are all buying some of the 30 caliber ones soon!  Do you build cannons for hire at all?

Brad

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 05:05:59 PM »
Brad,

Your question is better asked of George via email or PM.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 05:09:49 PM »
Do you build cannons for hire at all?

No, I make them in my limited spare time (still working for a living.)  The closest I come is teaching the upcoming cannon making class at Lassen College (June 25-29.) 

If I did make them for hire, I would have to charge at least $50 an hour and that makes them too expensive for most people.  I usually recommend the other cannon makers listed in the advertiser section at the top of the forum.  As far as I can tell, they are all competent people who will do a good job.  If they need plans, I can offer them.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline acoop101

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 08:18:03 AM »
A possible solution and the way that I get most of my machining needs filled is at my local vocational college, take the class then they usually open up the shop to current and former students. Here in San Francisco they usually don't as too many questions about what your doing.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »
So have you tested yet?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline firebuckeye

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »
Yes I did!  I think I was putting in about 400 grains.  It sounded pretty good.  I just used toilet paper as wadding.  I also read on here about using grass and that definitely made a sharper crack.  I also have that larger bore 1.700 and I shot it off as well.  The 1"  one is definitely sharper and the 1.700 is deeper sound but a lot more expensive!  Now my question is If I had a cannon made to shoot golf balls with a relatively light load what would it sound like shooting blanks?  I know I want a golf ball cannon or mortar so not sure if it would make sense to buy both.  One for blanks and one for golf balls?  I am leaning towards one with a 1.25"  powder chamber and able to shoot golf balls.  I would want the chamber to be large enough to handle a max charge for blanks.  So I could do both, nice salutes on the fourth and play around lobbing golf balls.  What do you think.  The piece I have ready to be machined is 4" x 18" brass. Again.... thanks!  We had fun with it!

Brad

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
Brad,

I have not as yet made a golf ball mortar. The Soda pop can mortars I make will make a good report when the grass is packed well.  The 1.700" field pieces I build make good reports with blanks as well as firing a projectile.  When shooting blanks here at the house I have had a neighbor 1.2 miles away, in his shop, here the reports well.

Rick
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »
If I had a cannon made to shoot golf balls with a relatively light load what would it sound like shooting blanks?

It would be pretty quiet firing blanks unless you used a lot of powder or some weight such as packed grass.
GG
--Winston Churchill