Author Topic: Ammo questions  (Read 536 times)

Offline 84jeepj10

• Trade Count: (0)
Ammo questions
« on: April 13, 2007, 07:03:30 PM »
Anyone have any shooting/hunting experience with Sellier and Bellot ammo? I'm considering their 30-06sprg 165grn Sierra GameKing factory load for my Tikka T3 Light Stainless.
What about Federal Fusion or PMC?
1-22 IN, 4 ID Ft Hood, TX
TIkka T3 Light Stainless LH 30-06 sprg

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
Re: Ammo questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 04:58:39 AM »
I didn't like the PMC, a guy at the hunting camp 10 years ago gave me some to try and they didn't impress me.  Just seem'd a little cheap on quality.

The Seller and Bellot was a little bit better, more like a handload.  Which when you read the description is what they are selling it as.

I just bought 6 boxes of Federal Fusion ammo for my 270 Winchester Short Mag,  I paid $14 a box and was just happy to get it.  I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't any good.

I believe that it came with Speer Hot Core bullets - which is a bonded bullet.

Speer is very well know for their bullets, as most great authors of the 50's and 60's used their bullets to harvest all types of game..

Here is what Chuck Hawks has to say about them.

All calibers use bullets made by Federal's proprietary "molecular-fused" jacket technology. In this "electrochemicall" process, to quote the Fusion literature, "the jacket is applied to the core one molecule at a time to totally eliminate separation and assure mass integrity." The core is a pressure-formed lead alloy and the jacket is pure copper. A skived tip promotes initial expansion. Fusion bullets feature a perfect center of gravity and high ballistic coefficients (BC).

If I have correctly interpreted the process, the bullet is basically made by copper plating a (vitamin capsule shaped) pressure formed lead alloy core slug. Then the plated core is pressure formed into the correct bullet size and shape and the tip skived. Presto, a Fusion bullet.

The Fusion web site (www.fusionammo.com) is larded with techno-speak mumbo-jumbo (but does use an innovative little flame cursor). This approach is often the modern advertising equivalent of the old adage, "If you can't sell the product, wrap it in baloney and sell the baloney."

In this instance, however, that is not the case. The Fusion bullet, in our testing, does offer excellent accuracy and dramatic but controlled expansion. These bullets are expressly optimized for hunting CXP2 game (basically deer), but based on their controlled expansion they probably have a wider range of application, although this has not yet been proven in the field. Strip away the advertising hype and what is left is an excellent product, perfectly able to stand on its own merits.

The result was that the Fusion ammo produced the smallest average group size (0.895") of all the loads tried. This is a very accurate rifle that produced excellent results with every load, and many sub-MOA groups, just as the name implies. But when push came to shove it was the Fusion load that came out on top. Every rifle is an individual and your results may vary, but I regard this as an impressive start for the new brand.

The bottom line is that is you hunt with factory loaded ammunition and have not yet tried Fusion cartridges in your rifle, you should. It may not replace the brand you're using now, but then again it might!

That is the one that I would go with, after that it would be a toss up between Federal Premium's and Winchester Supreme and Remington Core Locts'..

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 05:49:05 AM »
I don't have long range experience hunting deer. I can say at 100 yards or less any factory 165gr ammo will work. Some may cause more damage or be more accurate but it will all work.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:39:55 AM »
I love S&B ammo.
I've used a few calibers, but primarily 8mm.  Loaded hot, good bullets, quality brass, etc

With 165gr GameKings, you're absolutely set to go!!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 06:56:27 AM »
PMC ammo is no longer made, they went out of business last year, Jamison International bought all their equipment and moved it to Sturgis.

Tim

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2006/10/26/news/business/news674.txt
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 84jeepj10

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 07:29:53 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll likely buy a box of Fed Fusion today and try it out, post my results later. I'm also gonna try to locate a S&B dealer near me that can order that 165grn Sierra GameKing ammo, what I like about them in my research is that they're always cheaper than anyone (maybe not Wolf or Silver Bear) and you get good quality.

Anyone know what the ballistics are from the Fed Fusion 165grn in 30-06sprg, like drop out to 500yrds and wind deflection?
1-22 IN, 4 ID Ft Hood, TX
TIkka T3 Light Stainless LH 30-06 sprg