Author Topic: Gun & Ammo Ad  (Read 2038 times)

Offline LAH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Gun & Ammo Ad
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:48:50 AM »
So we can't sell firearms or ammo here. Really seems strange on a gun board. This isn't the only gun board with the problem. Sign of the times? Doing business with the wrong people? PC? Pressure from those over us? ??? I'm a guest here so don't think I'm demanding answers as I'm not. The pressures this site bend to are none of my business. But it is a gun board or I thought it was. Surely hope this doesn't spread other places.  >:( 

God Bless
Creeker
Joshua 1:9

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Gun & Ammo Ad
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:54:08 AM »
The mystery surrounding this modification is curious.  Perhaps the way to go would be to describe the guns and ammo we DON'T want to sell and let that be that.  Know what I mean?  If I don't want to sell it and you don't want to buy it what is the harm in that? ;)

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 05:18:12 AM »
When a land owner gives me permission to hunt or fish THEIR property and explain the rules I don't question them.  When a landlord explained the rules before handing me a set of keys  I didn't question the rules he set forth or demand and explanation of why.  When my boss at work tells me that due to orders he has received that the way we have done things is changing I suck it up and change the way I do things.

When Greybeard who has been nice enough to provide this site to us all free of charge makes, changes, or enforces a rule or change of policy I don't question HIM.  It is his site and he has the right to make or change any rule he so chooses for any reason.  If you don't like his rules well don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

There are a lot of changes that they (admins) have to deal with right now.  It is time for everyone to just follow the rules and shut up on topics that don't concern them.  Crackpot ideas,  third hand advice from someone else you know, or something you read once propably wont apply or be readly accepted by the admin.  Trust me when I say now would not be the time to push the line.
NRA Member

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 05:46:59 AM »
There obviously was some big development that forced GB to make the change.  If he does not want to tell us what that is that's his perogative and I won't question it.  Time brings changes and as much as I'd like to not have to deal with it (:D) its just the way life is. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 05:56:34 AM »
No big deal.. Plenty of other boards to buy and sell
Nice to chat here with everyone being polite!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 06:05:52 AM »
Rest assured I'm no happier about it than you are. We're still hoping to find a way to allow it again. But can't just yet.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
Thank you GB..........that's the answer I was looking for.

God Bless
Creeker

Offline gdolby

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »
Good day gentleman. Instead of whining because it happened and we don't know all the details, how about thanking the man for doing what he has? I have been to many so called outdoor forums and the majority of them are playgrounds for childish, insecure, among other personal conflicts,people that call themselves sportsmen. I do not participate on GBO much because of my inexperience. I do notice however there are a few that do appreciate and a lot that like to make suggestions to make it better but suggestions is all that are given. I am not a computer guru or a business person but can try and imagine the trouble that Graybeard has keeping this place going. Instead of using his time doing this he could be doing many things I am sure. I for one appreciate this and want the man to know. Now here is my suggestion, If there was a yearly member ship payed of lets say $20, would that keep the bleeding heart, tree hugging, !@#$%^& crowd at bay? would that give Graybeard more leeway in what he could do? If so I am in. $20 is less than I spend on tobacco in a month and surely others on here could manage as well.
 Either way, Graybeard sir and Matt. I appreciate your time  and the effort you put in to making this a place that I enjoy. and That I feel safe in letting my family come and enjoy w/o worrying about being harrassed or verbally assaulted. Thank you all again.............Bill

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
Don't think I was whining and yes I've spent money here to advertise and support this place. I didn't demand an answer or demand a gun and ammo ad. In fact I stated I'm here as a guest. It's his site and if you notice he was gentleman enough to answer my question and I was gentleman enough to thank him. He was also a gentleman the once we spoke. And yes if I can help I will. After all that's the business I'm in.

God Bless
Creeker 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 12:53:53 PM »
I don't think he was addressing the remark directly to you Creeker but just a general comment regarding those folks who of late have been so outspoken and been giving me such a hard time. You have been very supportive.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »
And you Sir have been very supportive to Creeker & Dry Creek Bullets. And gdolby  if I've been to sharp, please forgive ole Creeker. I'm really harmless and bald headed to boot. :-[

Offline pills

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »
When a land owner gives me permission to hunt or fish THEIR property and explain the rules I don't question them.  When a landlord explained the rules before handing me a set of keys  I didn't question the rules he set forth or demand and explanation of why.  When my boss at work tells me that due to orders he has received that the way we have done things is changing I suck it up and change the way I do things.

Really? If you are hunting on guys property and he tells you that you can hunt any place on the property except down by the large pecan tree you wouldn't ask what is different about there?

Or if you boss tells you to change the way you have always done it you don't ask if there is something wrong with the way it was? Having worked for some managers who couldn't manage if their life depended on it and some others who I would have followed to the end of the earth I can tell you that having someone tell you the reasoning makes a difficult pill easier to swallow. Do they have to tell me? No. Does giving me the reasoning make me trust them more? You bet.

I am a young punk who questions everything. I am still in the stage of my life when I want to know the why's. I have made a few folks angry along the way but I will never be accused of being a sheeple.

Don't get me wrong in your scenario the landowner/boss has the final say but I just couldn't help myself and would have to ask why.
...You do not open your mouth without all the facts period...

Matt

Remember this, my dear brothers and sisters: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and should not get angry easily. James 1:19

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 08:33:23 AM »
Good day gentleman. Instead of whining because it happened and we don't know all the details, how about thanking the man for doing what he has? I have been to many so called outdoor forums and the majority of them are playgrounds for childish, insecure, among other personal conflicts,people that call themselves sportsmen. I do not participate on GBO much because of my inexperience. I do notice however there are a few that do appreciate and a lot that like to make suggestions to make it better but suggestions is all that are given. I am not a computer guru or a business person but can try and imagine the trouble that Graybeard has keeping this place going. Instead of using his time doing this he could be doing many things I am sure. I for one appreciate this and want the man to know. Now here is my suggestion, If there was a yearly member ship payed of lets say $20, would that keep the bleeding heart, tree hugging, !@#$%^& crowd at bay? would that give Graybeard more leeway in what he could do? If so I am in. $20 is less than I spend on tobacco in a month and surely others on here could manage as well.
 Either way, Graybeard sir and Matt. I appreciate your time  and the effort you put in to making this a place that I enjoy. and That I feel safe in letting my family come and enjoy w/o worrying about being harrassed or verbally assaulted. Thank you all again.............Bill

I definitely agree with much of what is being said here....  Compared to other forums, I think that GBO is the best available.  Lots of the other forums that I've seen always end up being negative and just plain crappy, IMHO.  I do find the fact that the ANTI'S have had such an impact on a shooting/hunting website intensely aggravating.  I have to wonder where will the line be drawn??  Will it be when they say no sales of muzzleloaders, or knives or accessories?  I would be more than glad to pay a yearly membership fee to get the site back to the way it was.  I pay yearly fees for some other outdoor websites that I don't spend nearly as much time on.  I'd pay $50 a year if that's what it took.  Tell me where to send it,Graybeard, and it's on the way.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »

I am a young punk who questions everything. I am still in the stage of my life when I want to know the why's. I have made a few folks angry along the way but I will never be accused of being a sheeple.

Don't get me wrong in your scenario the landowner/boss has the final say but I just couldn't help myself and would have to ask why.

pills,

have you, as "a young punk" i mean, ever had a bad day?   have you ever had a day when it would have been best to leave you alone for 'some reason'?   if the answer is yes, and if you are just....as you say, "a young punk", then think how much more one of us adults means it when we say, "Now is not a good time!"

it's ok to be "a young punk" if that's where you are right now......as long as you are less than 17 years old.     but i can tell you sincerely that actions speak louder than words; and in the end you get more reaction (good or bad) by the way you act than by the way you speak.     SURE, people look at both, but talk is cheap, and deeds are what ultimately prove a man/woman.     sometimes, "Why?" can wait 'til later.

when 'GB' is ready he will say whatever he has to say on any given subject.     ....just like the landowner who holds title to where i hunt.    and because i 'do' for him as much as i 'talk' or say i will do for him, he's no longer a landowner, in fact.   now he is my friend.    he knows he can count on me, by God's grace, and that explanations will wait.   

no offense intended,

ss' 
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:30:50 AM »
As soon as Matt gets it set up the gun and ammo sales will return. They will be on a separate domain called www.firearmsclassifieds.com I think. I'm pretty sure that's our domain for firearm sales. We own so many domains it's really hard for me to keep up with all of them to be honest. It will use the same member database as the forums do so you'll use your same user name and password. I'm not positive but I think you'll have to log in separately there than on these forums, that is unless Matt can figure away to allow one log in to do both. But you will I'm sure be able to just stay logged in all the time there so that when you click to it you'll already be logged in.

For now that's the direction we think is best for us to take. My best guess it you'll be able to use it within a week, perhaps less depending on what all Matt has on his plate besides this site.

There are two problems I've long seen with paying memberships. One is that it automatically runs off 25% to 50% of the users if it's mandatory. The other is that because those folks are paying for the site they tend to think they should have a voice in how it's run. Quite frankly that ain't gonna happen with any site I'm running. When members get to control how one is run it ends up like those others that some of you have mentioned that you don't like so well as here. We've established a set of rules and they seem to have worked well over the years and because we take no money from any member there is no question about enforcing them on everyone. But if we took money from folks some not all of those folks would tend to think we "owned" then some leeway in the rules and they'd want to be able to abuse them quite badly. That brings on caos and disorder and I'm just not having that.

Now what I'd really like to be able to do and Matt has tried at least a hundred times to sell me on is offering some kinda perks to those folks who want to pay for such priviledges. They would have to be specific and spelled out and limited to those listed. So far he's not come up with anything that I feel is substantive enough to justify taking money for them. The one exception so far is we have offered to allow you to not have to view Google ads if you pay $25 per year. Two folks have done so at this time. I'm not sure if we are going to continue to offer that to others or not. It's kinda in a trial period at this time with those two. We had a third but he seemed somewhat miffed we took the money he offered to not view them and that one turned out about like I expected it to taking money from members. His money was refunded.

This site is expensive to me and Matt both in money spent and time spent to maintain it. Income flow is barely covering expenses and really doing nothing to cover the time spent. We had a situation set up where it was about to begin making a profit for us until this last flap which by my best estimate is costing me about $1000 per month in lost revenue. It's unlikely that revenue stream will be able to be replaced.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »
Adam and Eve questioned God about the apple tree in the garden of Eden. Look where it got them. :)

Offline LAH

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 02:23:15 AM »
Thanks GB. Matt sounds like a busy fellow..............Creeker

Offline neald

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 02:21:25 PM »
GB and others,
 I just got down to this part of the site(humor ect..) and read this thread.
 I had wondered why, but figured that our GOVERMENT got a hair crosways or something.

I thank you GB and Matt for getting things back up and running.

As to supporting the site, I hope you can come up with a way that does not cost us to much and will keep you in the black.

And yes, still in charge.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Neal

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »
Sheesh...some days a guy just can't make a post that pleases anyone to save his life...even on Humor and Off Topic Discussions.  Speculation about EVERYTHING feeds rumor and innuendo.  Shoot, if we can't GUESS and poke some fun at the unknown (to perhaps lessen the eventual impact) what good is a Humor Discussion Board anyway?  There's a whole heap of too much seriousness in here. 

Thank you GB.  Well done Matt.  I appreciate this Board to post rants, get serious from time to time, and especially to poke some fun...