Author Topic: NEF/HR 10ga Turkey Gun??  (Read 1775 times)

Offline mibighntr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
NEF/HR 10ga Turkey Gun??
« on: April 15, 2007, 03:48:43 AM »
Hello,

Curious if anyone has had any experiences with the NEF/HR single-shot 10 gauge with the 24" barrel?

Performance? Shell and Choke preferences?

Thank you!

Mark

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: NEF/HR 10ga Turkey Gun??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 04:39:39 AM »
Sadly I have no comment on this as of yet but I have never heard a good report about the factory tube. Look back in the threads there has been a lot of talk about this over the years.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jwm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 06:15:05 AM »
I have one that was cut down from the original length (32inches?) to 22 inches, and fitted with a Colonial X-full choke.  It wears a fiber optic front bead and an old Williams peep rear sight, and is rapidly becoming my favourite, and cheapest, turkey gun.  Great patterns with #5 Win Supreme loads, and less recoil than any 3 1/2 inch gun I've ever shot.

Plus that really cool, huge gaping muzzle.

John

Offline jlbeebe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
I have a NEF 10 gauge turkey gun. As stated before the factory choke sucks. I never did get satisfactory results with it using any loads. I made my own choke tube and now I average 25-30 hits in the head and neck at 40 yds on my targets using standard winchester #6 turkey loads. There are some very good aftermarket chokes out there that will do wonders for your patterns.
  All in all I would say it is an excellent gun for the money, and if I were to down grade anything about the gun it would be the choke and the weight. This gun is pretty heavy so if you carry it all day you know it. The good thing about the weight is that it makes it a relatively soft shooting 10 gauge.

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
I have gotten 4 birds with mine so far (see my post on this page).  I was using the standard Handi 10 ga turkey gun.  I only patterned it twice, both at 40 paces and got several head and neck hits.  The one in the picture was at 25 yards and dropped instantly.  So far I am satisfied.  Sorry I cant remember which load I used except for shot size, No 4s.  I am traveling right now, and if I remember I will look when I get home.

Offline slick00

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 08:15:19 AM »
Jjlbeebe, I have a NEF and have been looking for a different choke to replace the factory one.  I am not been happy with it, but have not been able to find a replacement.  Can you give me the names of any companies that supply an aftermarket choke?  Thanks 

Offline jlbeebe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 12:26:30 AM »
Jjlbeebe, I have a NEF and have been looking for a different choke to replace the factory one.  I am not been happy with it, but have not been able to find a replacement.  Can you give me the names of any companies that supply an aftermarket choke?  Thanks 
I have found that my 10 gauge will accept standard browning chokes. I have been told that Browning,Mossberg, and Nef use the same thread dimentions.

Offline mibighntr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 05:24:53 PM »
Just called Rhino Chokes today to order a .720 2" Extended Turkey Choke and they told me it was the same as the Remington SP-10 tube???  They also list the patterns and recommended shells as the same as for the Remington on their website??

Hope they are right because that's what they're sending me in the mail!!!

Mark

Offline popplecop

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 03:33:07 AM »
I have one it is the turkey model so it came with a turkey choke.  Never miked it, don't know the constriction, do know it works.  Can't remember how many birds it has accounted for, been used by a lot of friends when I don't need it.  Has a Williams Guide Sight with a peep aperture and a ramp front sight with a fiber optic bead.  I took the weight out of the stock, makes it a little lighter to carry.  I use Winchester Supreme no. 5 shot or Federal no. 6s. both throw excellent patterns.  Great turkey gun.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.

Offline slick00

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 02:44:10 AM »
Picked up the .695" x-full ported turkey choke made by Truglo a few days ago.  Package marked Browning 10 ga. and it fits perfect.  I think it is the standard choke not the invector plus.  It increased the number of pellets in the "kill zone" in my target at 40 yds by 2x compared to my factory choke.  My factory choke measured .725" (only a full choke).  Very noticeable reduction in recoil, too.  Now kicks much less than any 12 ga. 3-1/2" I ever shot. Thanks for the input guys. 

It worked perfect this opening morning at about 35 paces at 6:38am -----19 lbs, 15/16" spurs and 9.5" beard!!!!! At least 15 pellets in head/neck that I can see-probably more.  Went down like a load of bricks !!!!

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 07:58:31 PM »
Good Job, glad it worked for you. 

We went out scouting this morning (start hunting Thur) and didn't see or hear any gobblers.  We did see a big coyote after we got in the truck.  I almost put the .223 in the truck this morning.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"