Author Topic: First Gun for a Law Enforcement Student  (Read 782 times)

Offline DJEnforcer

• Trade Count: (0)
First Gun for a Law Enforcement Student
« on: May 20, 2003, 05:17:49 AM »
I'm starting my first year of Criminal Justice Law Enforcement this fall and I wanted to pick up a handgun that would be good target practice. What gun would you suggest for a good target practice handgun? Thanks for any suggestions.
DJEnforcer

Offline Britt

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 07:12:19 AM »
It depends on your experience level. Tough to make a call other wise.
GUN CONTROL IS KEEPING IT BETWEEN THE 9 AND 10 RING.

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 07:24:22 AM »
Try to get what the majority of the agencies in your area are using. Assuming you plan to work in the area you now reside in. I would also suggest you take the reserve traing program if available in your area and get a little exposure and training in the field. It might prevent you  from making a career mistake if it is not for you.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline DJEnforcer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 10:53:19 AM »
Thanks for your help. The thing is I have no experience with handguns. I'm still only 18, so I haven't even bought one yet. I've been meaning to at least shoot one, but I haven't even done that. I've heard GLOCK .40 are good for training and are pretty basic. I'm not sure what my agency uses. I think we have a 40 cal. something. I'll have to check on that. Thanks again for your help.
DJEnforcer

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 02:31:53 PM »
See if the local agencies have a ridealong program. You are too young for the reserve program and the ridealong program is a good way to gain insight into the field. Valuable experience can be gained by observation.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline colt451911

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 09:31:46 AM »
You should really look into getting some handgun experience with a .22.  The ammo is cheap so you can learn how to shoot well without spending all of your money away.  You don't necessarily have to buy a .22 but you should get some experience on one before you go for the big boys.  As far as the .22s go, ruger, browning and others have nice models.  I have a taurus .357 mag and really like it, the price is right and it shoots great.  Other nice revolvers include ruger, smith and wesson, colt and dan wesson.  As far as the semi-autos go, I would suggest a berretta, cz, ruger, hk or sig in 9mm or .40.  All of the afore mentioned brands are roughly equal in quality although the cz and ruger models are inexpensive and straight shooters.  Many would also add the glocks to that the list as they are very nice guns that are regularly used in law enforcement.  I don't particularly like them due to the internal hammer and overly light wieght combined with high price, however I would suggest considering them as an option.

Offline Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 06:01:04 PM »
I think you need to reach 21 to purchase a handgun. Some clubs rent handguns on the practice range. You just purchase the ammo from the range. I agree with te .22 cal for starters or a CO2 pistol in your basement. Just my 2 cents.

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 04:31:38 AM »
If you are serious about a law enforcement career I recommend a .22 double action revolver. You can learn to shoot double action and be ahead of the game. Even though most police forces use semi-autos if there are any double action .22 semi-auto handguns they are few and far between. You can start learning on single action shooting first and switch to double action shooting later with the same handgun. Dave

Offline 1GLOCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 07:40:40 AM »
Id have to agree, if you have never shot a handgun start with a 22 revolver. Anything in an auto may be a little risky for a first time shooter unless you do what I do with new or young shooters. I use a G17 9mm and feed them one at a time. It gets young shooters and new auto shooters familiar with the function of the weapon without the danger of accidental double taps. Hope this helps.

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2003, 12:40:56 AM »
Starting with a .22 is a good suggestion. After that, see what kind of gun the agency that you're interested in is issuing, and get one. Being familiar with the issue gun will help you out a lot when you get to the range.