Author Topic: Shooting at Virginia Tech  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Mauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Shooting at Virginia Tech
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:55:26 AM »
Did I read correctly on Drudge that there was a shooting at Virginia tech today that left 21 dead?  We better get ready for more B.S. about gun control.  Sometimes I just can't stand the world we live in today.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Shooting at Virginia Tech
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 07:39:31 AM »
The Anti's are going to have a field day with this for sure , but they would not have said a word had he done it with a pick-up truck .

What would have been the outcome had only one person on that campus been armed when he started shooting and been able to fight back ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline S.S.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:47:03 AM »
Stimpy: That one person would have been arrested for having a firearm on school property !

This is indeed a tragedy in more ways than one.. This world is full of sick and deranged folks,
that is for sure... Sarah Brady just had an orga$m over the ammo she was just handed I'll bet..
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline dcewolf

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 09:12:14 AM »
Stimpy: That one person would have been arrested for having a firearm on school property !

Actually they would not have been arrested but they may face disciplinary action within the university.  There was a previous occurrence where a student at Tech was reported for having a concealed handgun.  Since he had a permit there were no legal charges, but I never heard if Tech took any action itself.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/xp-21770

Total is now over 30 dead I believe from this...  It is indeed a tragedy.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:26:29 AM »
Latest Count 32 dead 28 wounded. We are screwed the anti gun liberal democrats will go an a feeding frenzy with this latest shooting. 10/22 is probably sure to pass now and I have no clue how Bush is going to handle this before I felt he would not sign it who knows now? I hope he does not but those that maybe were on the fence when it came to gun control now may tip in the anti's favor. We are in for a lot of heat ahead.  :( :( :(
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »
Before we get so defensive.
Where were the police that would have need to protect?
What if one person had used a weapon to defend?
If the anti's can give a written guarantee that abolishing weapons will stop this I want what they smoke.
8 round mags would have done as much in this situation as double stacked.
Why wouldn't a room full of men and women have been able to overcome one person---now I realize the panic, but, I would have thought that survival instincts would have taken hold of one or two. This is not a point too be argued and I am not calling anyone a name.
I am surprised it wasn't a bomb.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline powderman

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 12:52:16 PM »
The university denies the law abiding the right to protect themselves. Just saw the news and there was no mention of the name of the scum, or weapons used. Semi auto handguns was all that was mentioned. Can't understand how this could have gone on for 2 1/2 hours, no excuse for that. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:34:28 PM »
I have been watching and hearing this come in from many sources and I have heard everything from a disgruntle ex-boyfriend to Al-Queda. At this point I just don't believe much other than it happen.

I do think that this will be used as fuel to push more gun control laws into effect and will only hurt the law abiding citizens and not the criminals just as every single other gun law that has been passed. After all damn it they are already criminals do you think they give a rats ass about gun laws or breaking them... If they want a gun they will get one. If they want to use it to kill they will. Laws just like locks are made to stop honest people not criminals.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline WmRoy

• A Real Regular
    • Gun Collectors Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55226

Virginia quashed bill allowing handguns on campuses
Tech spokesman celebrated 2006 defeat because it would help make campus safe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 16, 2007
3:15 p.m. Eastern

By Art Moore
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

Virginia state capitol
More than one year before today's unprecedented shooting rampage at Virginia Tech, the state's General Assembly quashed a bill that would have given qualified college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus.

At the time, Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said he was happy to hear of the bill's defeat, according to the Roanoke Times.

"I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus," the Virginia Tech spokesman said.

[/size]

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Now they are saying that the shooter was Chinese and here on a visa from 8-2006 and was suspected to have called in 2 false bomb threats to test the security response. They have stated that he WAS NOT A STUDENT.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »
It is an amazing tragedy.  I'm sure there will be countless armchair quarterbacks saying how this should have been done differently or how they would have done this or that.  Bottom line is unless you've gone through this it is hard to say how you would react.

As I watched World News on ABC tonight I was encouraged by the fact that they also included a story on how people react differently to these tragedies with regard to gun control and sited how Texas authorized concealed carry licenses after the massacre at Luby's in Killeen.  The reporter posed the question as to whether this tragedy could have been ended sooner had there been a student or faculty member with a concealed handgun.  Given how open these campuses are it should be a consideration for the future - just my opinion.  My thoughts and prayers are with those that lost their lives and their families.

Offline WmRoy

• A Real Regular
    • Gun Collectors Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 03:13:54 PM »
Now they are saying that the shooter was Chinese and here on a visa from 8-2006 and was suspected to have called in 2 false bomb threats to test the security response. They have stated that he WAS NOT A STUDENT.

Matt

Here's more on the shooter

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55220

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
I find it interesting that they failed to pass this bill. Looks like it came back to bite them in the butt. Of course thats liberals for you that are against concealed carry. IF ONE good concealed carry permit holder well trained would have been there the body count would have been considerably less.  Of course this bill would have not been passed in time to even if it did pass to advert this tragic shooting but if it had passed earlier it may have saved lives:

Gun bill gets shot down by panel
HB 1572, which would have allowed handguns on college campuses, died in subcommittee.

A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus."

Del. Dave Nutter, R-Christiansburg, would not comment Monday because he was not part of the subcommittee that discussed the bill.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus. The legislation was designed to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The legislation allowed for exceptions for participants in athletic events, storage of guns in residence halls and military training programs.

Last spring a Virginia Tech student was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, despite having a concealed handgun permit. Some gun owners questioned the university's authority, while the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police came out against the presence of guns on campus.

In June, Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy reiterating its ban on students or employees carrying guns and prohibiting visitors from bringing them into campus facilities.

Offline magooch

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 03:52:55 AM »
I've thought of a few places where mass murders probably wouldn't be very successful.  Add to the list if you will.

1. Police stations
2. LEO watering holes
3. Gun shows
4. Gun ranges
5. Ted Nugent's domicile
6. Gun shops
Swingem

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 04:23:09 AM »
Just listening too the news conference I found it interesting that the reporters were more concerned about the lack of information than appreciating the accuracy of the information.
I was also overwhelmed that they are trying to fix blame for the deaths being as numerous as they were on the school--even some of the parents and students have been critical--because of lack of notification as too what was going on.
When will we ever learn that others are not responsible for keeping all informed--informed yes, if it is feasible--which did not seem the case, in this incident.
I would think that we must be aware of our situation at all time. We are taught, as young children, to watch and be aware, not running a cross a street without looking.
One cannot go thru life willy-nilly expecting all things too go as planned. Where was plan "B".
I am frustrated that we, in this world we live in, expect others too look out for us. They should, we should, however; we should also expect too take care of ourselves and take some amount of responsibility for ourownselves.
I do not remember an attack on the University of Texas because they let a nut get too the top of the tower and kill 17 people.
Times are dangerous and we need too be even more aware of our surroundings and take some amount of responsibility.
My heart goes out for those who lost loved ones in this attack.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 04:32:25 AM »
I'm old enough that I remember when Richard Speck killed 13 nurses in Chicago with a butcher knife. The very
next day the lib's came out proclaiming 'THIS PROVES WE NEED MORE GUN CONTROL'! 

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 04:40:32 AM »
I just turned the radio off, as all I'm hearing is, what if, what if, what if. I guess that's what the news people and the talk show guys are suppose to do.All the second guesser's will be spouting about this for the next month.  Last thing I heard, before turning it off, was a student saying, he just wished that all the news media would leave, so they, the students, could get a handle on things. Guess this means we won't be hearing about the Anna Nichole Smith thing for awhile. We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7//41)(9/11/01) gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 04:47:13 AM »
Ah yes, the finger pointing has started --driven by a blood lusting media-- and the bottom feeding lawyers can't be far behind.  Looking for some "free" money.
While it is indeed a horrible event, the fact that it has moved Anna Nicole off stage center isn't a bad thing.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 06:29:39 AM »
Here in the Fairbanks area too many people go armed.  A shooter trying to do something like this up here would find return fire very quickly.  Carrying concealed is legal in this state without a permit.  It's not legal to carry in Bars, schools, Court houses, and banks.  But if they were to set up metal detectors, I bet they would find many that just don't think about it and leave their guns in their cars  Case in point, go to the court house and watch to see how many people get to the door and see the guards and metal detectors, suddenly have to go back to their trucks.  Almost every school function I will see evidence that someone is carrying, and no one thinks anything about it.  We all know how easy it is to forget to take your gun out and lock it in the glove box.  Guns are a way of life with the people here.  My son usually has one or two guns locked in his truck at the school, or in the gun safe at school.  He's on the shooting team, and they don't shoot pellit guns either.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 06:45:43 AM »
I heard today that the shooter used 2 pistols for the attach.  A 9mm and a 22.  I am shocked that he was able to to this amount of damage with those weapons.  Granted they were semi's.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 08:03:52 AM »
 When our forefathers found something that was considered dangerous to socity they did one of two things, They either eliminated it or locked it up. 

Today people say, "It's OK just stay our of their way", or "If they can't get a weapon they can't hurt anyone".  In my openion "WRONG".  We need to lock the fruit cakes up, and keep them there.  There will always be a means of getting a weapon for any intelligent person, even the crazy ones.  It's not hard to make a gun, sword, knife, or bomb.  There is no way to eliminate everything that can be used to hurt or kill someone. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 11:50:17 AM »
I wonder how many would have died had some of the victims bore a handgun.   Many were of legal age.  What would have been the outcome then?
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 07:00:52 PM »
I said from the beginning a concealed carry permit holder could have saved many lives. The liberals are going to cry we need less guns instead of more. We as sensible folks can see what needs to be done. The Democrats on the liberal side have no clue.  ???

Offline Hooker

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 07:44:24 PM »
Well so far the liberal media has blamed everyone but the shooter. Maybe we should borrow a verse from the liberal hand book and blame them, for disarming the public at large.
I heard so much psycho babble today I wanted to vomit.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 03:11:56 AM »
I said from the beginning a concealed carry permit holder could have saved many lives. The liberals are going to cry we need less guns instead of more. We as sensible folks can see what needs to be done. The Democrats on the liberal side have no clue.  ???

And they never will.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline magooch

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 04:41:57 AM »
I heard this referred to as the worst mass-murder in the history of the USA.  I seem to remember a mass-murder, which is known as 9/11.  No firearms were involved in that massacre and more people were killed on just one of those airliners than in this whole Virginia Tech deal.

Both of these cases and most if not all other mass-murder incidents could certainly have been either prevented, or made less deadly if there had been armed citizens present.
Swingem

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 05:05:07 AM »
If there was an armed individual at the time of the shooting rampage and they did shoot and kill the assailant, they would probably  be charged with murder. The laws are screwed up to say the least. >:(

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »
Here are a couple of articles that you may find interesting.

http://steynonline.com/ and click on the article "Culture of Passivity"

http://www.reason.com/news/show/119694.html

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline deltecs

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 10:21:20 AM »
If there was an armed individual at the time of the shooting rampage and they did shoot and kill the assailant, they would probably  be charged with murder. The laws are screwed up to say the least. >:(

That statement is most true.  However, If you carry a weapon, this thought should have been decided before ever carrying.  No matter the outcome, you will be sued at least in civil court.  If a person is not willing to contend with this outcome, they should not carry a weapon.  If a person who is uncomfortable with the reactions to self defense all of a sudden hesitates in the crisis, the outcome may well be the death or serious injury to an innocent.  The mere brandishing of a firearm may just excite the wrongdoer into action, so if you carry, be mentally ready to use the weapon for defense without thinking about the repercussions.  That should already have been decided in your own mind.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »
The latest: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18169776/

He WHAT!!! - Mailed a package to NBC - MAILED A (BLEEP)IN' PACKAGE! WHILE ARMED WITH HIS HANDGUNS! Didn't the bozo know all USPS facilities are by law, gun-free zones.

Now I can no longer feel safe going to the post office to send packages. I'm going to have to ask for more to cover the shipping when I sell a stock or a barrel via the classifieds and ship with UPS or Fedex! :P Up until today I just knew the bad guys weren't going to be anywhere near a post office because that's a federal offence! The law is very clear about that! Obviously some people just refuse to obey the laws on the books now. WE MUST HAVE MORE LAWS!!! (not! :o)
DECEASED 6/6/2013