Author Topic: Groundhog count for 07  (Read 2119 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Groundhog count for 07
« on: April 17, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »
Ok guys , lets keep a running count of the little suckers for this summer , type of firearm , cal and any other info about them . Pics if possible too .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Groundhog count for 07
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »
Stimpy,

Does hitting it with the truck count? There is one on the way home from work that keeps right at the edge of the road and I will get that sucker yet.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »
whacked one yesterday with my encore .204. about 85 yards leaning against a post, no offhand tricks here :)

my fiancee was with me and when i turned around her mouth was hanging open...turns out she had never seen anything shot before...had a little explaining about what a varmint is, etc..."why would you shoot something you have no intentions of eating or using?"

she understands now but i also understand that i should have been a little more discreet. whoops. don't wanna scar her for life. lol

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline mparks

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 07:46:37 AM »
I've got 1 so far.  Short range with a .243.

If anyone wants to know why I shoot them they can come look at the holes or the empty patches of soy beans in the summer.

Offline RangerRiz

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »
Got one so far this year.  About 3 weeks ago when the weather was nice. Shot it whit  541T with CCI quick shocks at 50 ft.  Those bullets are expensive $8 for 50 but they are worth it. Shot one with an old Winchester pull cock last year at 75 yards and dropped it where it stood, and it was a body shot.  Mainly shoot them  behind my father-in laws shop. the dig under it and crack the floor. It is in town so i cant use anything bigger. Got the quick shocks because i was shooting them with a pistol and could never drop them. They helped alot in the pistol, but when you put them in that long barreled Winchester they do some damage. Shot a female last year at about 35 yards and it exited after passing the length of her body. there was aw hole the size of a nickle. She fell over and 4 2 foot high spurts of blood came out of her. Never seen any quick shocks do that.

Justin
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:16:10 AM »
I am trying to get atleast one woodchuck with every one of my varmint guns this year.
Saturday I killed one with my Ruger No.1 in 220 Swift at 235 yards and another with my XP-100 in 223 at 111 yards. Both kills were from my driveway.
That retires 9 of my guns for awhile with the count being 14 woodchucks.

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:11:49 AM »
I am trying to get atleast one woodchuck with every one of my varmint guns this year.
Saturday I killed one with my Ruger No.1 in 220 Swift at 235 yards and another with my XP-100 in 223 at 111 yards. Both kills were from my driveway.
That retires 9 of my guns for awhile with the count being 14 woodchucks.

HT,

Sounds like we all need to come over to your house and set up in your driveway  ;D So, what time is dinner?

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »
[
Sounds like we all need to come over to your house and set up in your driveway  ;D So, what time is dinner?

Greg
[/quote]

The cold ones will be out at 4:45 dinner is whenever the wife gets around to it!

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 06:49:30 AM »
The cold ones will be out at 4:45 dinner is whenever the wife gets around to it!

HT,

Make my cold one ice tea or a soda pop and you got a deal! Oh, and tell the wife anything she cooks will be fine, beggars can't be choosers 'ya know?

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:10:48 AM »
Greg

Swing by , i'll be ready and make that 2 for tea .

HT

Corn & beans make for great groundhog shooting . Target rich enviroment .  ;D  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 07:50:15 AM »
Greg

Swing by , i'll be ready and make that 2 for tea .

HT

Corn & beans make for great groundhog shooting . Target rich enviroment .  ;D  ;)

stimpy

Stimpy,

Give me a time and I will try to be there, next weekend is out, the boy is having a tooth cut out, one of the 4 wisdom teeth came in crooked, the other three are fine. So much for this new day shift thing! And corn, soup beans maybe some wilted lettuce, all sounds good to me.

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 03:44:07 PM »
Saw a total of 11 of the little suckers today , all inside the city limits , may have to break down and get me a blowgun . Tells me one thing , they are out and about , tomorow i'll be out with the 218 looking for pigs for sure .  :o

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 04:06:17 PM »
Where about in Ohio do you guys hunt at?  I'm in the northeast corner of Indiana and I have a hard time finding places to pop groundhogs.  This year though I'll be asking friends with farms about some "helping them out".  My most used groundhog getter has been a marlin 22 mag.  I haven't had a chance to use my savage 223 yet, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 07:35:10 AM »
teddy12b

I cover a good chunk of west cent. ohio , vanwert to st. marys to lima , most of mine is fence rows on farms were shots are from 150 to 400 yards so the 223 & 22-250 get most of the work .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 04:58:33 PM »
Hey Teddy
Where are you? Can't be that far from me.
I got 4 last weekend retiring 3 more guns for awhile!

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 02:40:44 AM »
I'm on the East side of Fort Wayne.  Congrats on getting 4 more groundhogs too!

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 07:14:03 AM »
Well add 2 to the count , had a chance to get out for a few hours this morning with the 22-250 . One was at about 200 yards and the other was just over 300 . boy do those Hornady 55gr V-max do a number on the little suckers .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 06:00:12 PM »
Well add 2 to the count , had a chance to get out for a few hours this morning with the 22-250 . One was at about 200 yards and the other was just over 300 . boy do those Hornady 55gr V-max do a number on the little suckers .  ;D

stimpy

Stimpy,

Way to go, just remember you can't count the dogs out in Hooker unless you drag them back to Ohio!   :o ;D
Drive safe and have fun out there.

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline mas19

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:11:27 AM »
got 1 about an hour ago with my newly aquired savage model 10 .243, love this gun so much, might replace my .204

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »
I just shot two with my Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 with 308gr cast bullets going full throttle. The first was at 41 yards and the next 1 1/2 yards as he looked out of his hole at me.

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »
mas19 & Hairtrigger

Good going guys , keep plugging away at those suckers .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 12:17:32 AM »
The bad news is I missed a Coyote yesterday noon as well.
I went out to my mailbox and noticed something in the middle of the wheat stubble beside my house. I grabbed my Sako 222 and in my haste misjudged the distance. The bullet landed below his chest between this legs. I got off one running shot but missed as well.
BUMMER

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 04:05:54 PM »
Got my second one this year in the back yard!
Daughter came in and said the dogs (two beagles) were eating something out back.
I figure what ever it is it had to be dead.
I go out to take a look
They got a ground hog in the middle of the yard with it spinning around on them as they took turns trying to get at it!
I walked back in the house and get a model 19 357 and go back out
The dogs are a yelpin and screaming the whole time(THIS IS WHAT THE NEIGHBORS ARE HEARING)
I walk up to within 5 feet of the ruckus and yell DUKE!!!(male dogs name) (NEIGHBORS HEAR ME YELL duke)
Duke turns and looks at me along with the other dog for a split second
I fire one shot through hogs neck and shoulders.(neighbors hear shot)
All is quiet(neighbors think I shot my dog!!)
Neighbor daughter comes over to see what I shot this time!

All is well . Just another killing by the neighborhood  Redneck ;D

Willy

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 01:08:14 AM »
Well, I got one yesterday but my story isn't as exciting.  The groundhog had been living under my porch.  It bit through the wiring for my outside house lighting, ate various ornamental plants and then started on the cushions on our porch furniture.  My wife was VERY upset and I can't blame her.  I caught the groundhog in a live trap baited with marshmallow yesterday and executed it with a 22 LR handgun.  Hopefully that's the end of groundhog troubles for this year.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 05:27:17 AM »
Hey trigger! do ya think that that 454SRH is enough gun for chucks?
Mike ;D

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 06:30:25 AM »
Hey trigger! do ya think that that 454SRH is enough gun for chucks?
Mike ;D

There is not enough meat in a woodchuck to get the bullet to expand!
This year I decided to shoot atleast one woodchuck with each of my varmint rifles. I did not quite compleat the task but I did shoot a bunch of woodchucks and several of my rifles got 3 or 4 each.

Offline RangerRiz

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »
I just killed the 9th one on the same half acre. This was a small one. One shot from the buckmark with CCi Quickshocks is all it took. It was stone dead in just about 15 seconds. The neighbors have 3/4s of an acre of garden, and we live on a dead-end road that ends on the Erie canal and the things keep migrating. In the fall i get to shoot the coons as soon as it cools off the are in the trash. This year the coons, squirrels, deer,grounghogs, and skunks have been in the neighbors garden really bad. I think it was all the hot weather we had at the beginning of the summer there might not be much for them to eat in the woods. I wish the DNR would open a season on all the geese. My corn came up grew about a foot tall and they mowed it down to nothing in just 3 or 4 days. The resident goose pop. is out of control and we should be able to control them in summer so we are sure we do not get any of migratory birds. Anyhow; I an done with my rant. Good Hunting.

Ranger
God did not create all men equal, Colt did!
ROLL TIDE!
Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions