Author Topic: Model 70 questions  (Read 2555 times)

Offline caprocker

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 70 questions
« on: April 18, 2007, 05:01:09 AM »
Should I panic?  I am a third generation model 70 user.. My son is 3 weeks old right now and I would like him to be able to eventually shoot one also...Now that the 70 has been cut from production , should I go ahead and jump on one now or do the powers that be think that they will still be in circulation for a while? help me out folks
I've got a long list of real good reasons for all the things I've done.

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Model 70 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 05:57:52 AM »
As many Model 70s as have been made I think they will be around for a good long time.  If you want a new or like new gun there are more here now than there will be in 15 years, so selection should be better now.  I haven't been watching price, so I don't know if some sanity has returned to the market. 

Good luck with this.  To bad your son won't be able to go to the gun shop and help pick his own new one from the rack.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 06:17:31 AM »
Last weekend I was at a major gun show and was surprised at the number of pre-64 Model 70’s were on the tables.  And there were a variety of calibers.  For some reason $1500 and up come mind regarding asking price.  What was more surprising was that there was fewer post 64 Winchesters being offered.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline caprocker

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 09:31:49 AM »
siski , how about the newer model 70's , Im not really interested in getting a pre 64...actually the newer the better for me...what are they running now that they are not being built anymore?? thanks , cap

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:21:10 PM »
Check GunList, and the online auction sites i.e. GunBroker.com and AuctionArms.com. Prices are high but the M70 is not gone, merely on vacation.
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 03:54:04 PM »
Caprocker:  Last winter I made reference to new Model 70 Winchesters being on sale.  Price was around $400.  Clearly a temptation.  I would not be surprised to see other ones come out of the warehouse and go on sale.  One poster commented that there was a quality control problem with rifles coming out of Winchester as they shut down.  At the price I felt it was a house cleaning sale.  The deal was a Sports Authority.

No new model 70’s jumped out at the gunshow.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline doorgunner

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:50:22 PM »
Buy your son a post 64 production Model 70 Featherweight, slap a leupold 3X9 on it, and stick it in the safe.  I can assure you, by the time that he is ready to hunt, it will be worth about 3 times what you will pay for it today.

People became finatical about the Pre-64 in 1965, after Winchester made all the changes to a stronger, safer, and better action.  That finaticism is still alive today, 42 years later.  Even if they start producing the Model 70 again, it will be so overpriced if they make it here in the US (because of union labor) , or won't sell worth a darn if they make it offshore.  Either way, any New Haven, Conn. produced Model 70 is a great investment. 
"Walk Softly, and Carry a Large Caliber Bolt Gun!"

Offline caprocker

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:26:10 AM »
thanks doorgunner and sisk...i am on the bird dog right now for a model 70 feather..i am also looking for a model 94 30-30 to carry with me around the ranch...our wild hog problem has gotten out of control around here and i need something rough , ready and quick...thank you guys for the info...it will mean a lot to a new hunter one of these days..

Offline bustedknee

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »
Your son is 3 weeks old?

Buy a rifle now, made in 2007.

Put it away for him.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »
CDNN still has some but they are in the short calibers.
Do you think you will wear yours out before you can hand it to him?? I don't.
I think you should wait until he is at least 30 before giving him a gun... too young and he may be tempted to trade it off and regret it later when he appreciates what you have done :)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

Not many left around here new...there are some used ones though...Here's a few new ones I found on the web..

http://www.reedssports.com/main.taf?cat=1748

http://shop.vendio.com/jsmith411/item/933188586/?s=1186135202

http://www.nagelsguns.net/winchester_model_70_rifles.htm

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline SuperstitionCoues

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 04:15:39 AM »
May I make an observation? 

I was just watching an episode of Winchester Legends that I recorded yesterday off of the Vs. channel.  It's a hunting show, featuring Winchester rifles (Model 70's in this case) and Winchester ammunition.  The next show on the schedule was Winchesters Whitetail Revolution - same sponser, featuring Winchester rifles and ammunition.

If a company is going to the extent of introducting NEW shows of guns that are not currently in production, then it stands to reason that they are gearing up for a marketing push for the reintroduction of out of production models.  I think that the Model 70, and maybe the model 94, have only taken an extended vacation from the American hunting public.  I think they will be back.

Just an observation, and my very humble opinion.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline Keith L

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 08:26:54 AM »
It would be interesting to know who sponsors that show.  I bet it is the ammunition folks, who are totally different from the gun makers.  WE don't get it on my network.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
It would be interesting to know who sponsors that show.  I bet it is the ammunition folks, who are totally different from the gun makers.  WE don't get it on my network.

My fault... I should have been more specific.  Winchester ammo AND Winchester rifles and shotguns sponsor it, along with a few others (Otis, etc.). 

Offline saltydog

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »
Buy two now - first one a 30 cal like an '06 and number 2. a varmit  caliber 223,22-250 or 243.

Offline Keith L

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 07:48:17 AM »
I went out to the Winchester web page and re-read what they said when they closed the US Repeating Arms factory.  It states the American factory is closed, but they are making guns in other places, specifically Belgium and Portugal.  I also have heard they are following Remington and are making rimfires in former soviet states.

If the Model 70 and the Model 94 couldn't be made at a price that makes money for the company, add the expense of foreign (European) manufacturing, shipping, inventory, duty, etc. and see how well they sell.  It works for premium product such as fine double guns etc. but make it hard to offer quality "blue collar" guns like the Model 70 and 94.

It will be interesting to watch and see if your prediction comes true.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 04:20:57 AM »
I went out to the Winchester web page and re-read what they said when they closed the US Repeating Arms factory.  It states the American factory is closed, but they are making guns in other places, specifically Belgium and Portugal.  I also have heard they are following Remington and are making rimfires in former soviet states.

If the Model 70 and the Model 94 couldn't be made at a price that makes money for the company, add the expense of foreign (European) manufacturing, shipping, inventory, duty, etc. and see how well they sell.  It works for premium product such as fine double guns etc. but make it hard to offer quality "blue collar" guns like the Model 70 and 94.

It will be interesting to watch and see if your prediction comes true.

I honestly don't know if it will come true.  It is just my hunch and a whole lot of wishful thinking.  My first rifle was a Winchester Ranger 70 - butt ugly, but it shot like a dream.  I have switched to the Ruger Hawkeye out of necessity.  Yes, every day, I hope a press release will come out saying that they have begun production again.

Something else.  A few months ago, I happened to be talking with Browning/Winchester Customer Service, and they also alluded to the Model 70 and Model 94 going back into production, but refused to give specifics. 

I also believe in lost causes and the Az. Diamondbacks winning another series in my lifetime. 

Offline Jack Gilbert

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »
Get on the Winchester site and go down to the section on Winchester again manufacturing the model 70. They are making them again.

Offline gunpilot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 09:47:10 AM »
Eat your heart out.  I have two model 70 featherweight walnut stock stainless barrels in .308 and 6.5x55 Swede' I picked them up new just before they stopped production. I paid $650 for the .308 - I called a gunshop just knowing they wouldn't have one, and when they said they did and it was $650, my jaw dropped, and I immediately gave them my credit card number to reserve it for me.  Don't remember what I paid for the Swede - had to special order it. Both like new. I wonder what they are worth now. I love the feel of these rifles.