Author Topic: Cost of lead, tin and antimony going way up....  (Read 1868 times)

Offline masek77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cost of lead, tin and antimony going way up....
« on: April 18, 2007, 05:58:48 PM »
The cost of lead has doubled in just the past nine months alone and is up almost 400% in the past 4 years, Tin prices set a new record price yesterday and antimony isn't far behind.

My supplier recently raised prices on me almost 200%. I shouldn't complain though as they kept the same price for a long time even with the price of lead going through the roof.

I hear the reason for this is that China controls much of the worlds supply of tin, and is also making HUGE purchases of lead and antimony on the open market. While I don't pretend to know the future I have been told to expect lead at 1.50 a pound or more by the end of the year. Tin is being monopolized by the Chinese now and its price is expected to be above 15 dollars per pound by the end of the year. If world economies slow down then these prices should fall and that's what I'm hoping for.

If you get wheel weight lead you should go ahead and stock up on it. Get as much as you can. Go to the ranges and collect the lead bullets.

After proofreading this post I realize I sound like Chicken Little running around screaming "The sky is falling" but in this case I have been amazed at the rise in prices for base metals and I wanted to share this with you guys.

Offline masek77

• Avid Poster
Re: Cost of lead, tin and antimony going way up....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Here is an article on Tin reaching a new high yesterday.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/4500bdea-ecca-11db-9520-000b5df10621,_i_rssPage=8672feb4-504a-11da-bbd7-0000779e2340.html

Here is the one year trend for lead. Just below it is the five year trend for lead.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#1year

Offline iiranger

• Contributor
And... Re: Cost of lead, tin and antimony going way up....
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »
And after the Olympics???? The Chinese are building buildings to house the visitors and competitors at the Olympics and then??? With the repressive system and everyone going home... I expect things to drop a bit. Seldom, check history, do they drop to where they were, but bubbles are bubbles.... luck to us all... (time to stock up was a couple years ago... but then hindsight is 20/20...)

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 11:36:39 AM »
If prices remain high expect tin/lead/antimony mining to jump into high gear.  That should help out on the supply side of the equation. 
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline masek77

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 06:52:41 PM »
Since i posted this, lead has jumped another 20%. Thats in just a few months fellas...

Offline reallybigfoot

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 04:38:27 PM »
For the last five years I have paid $.40 a pound for lead in scrap yards.  Doesn't seem to be going up.

Jerry

Offline KYBOY

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.kentuckytrappers.com
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 05:35:19 PM »
I feel your pain. I mold sinkers as well and the cost is getting out of hand. I did get lucky the other day and get over 300 lbs of wheel weights though ;D
Love them Big Iron's

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:04:51 PM »
China:

I hope nobody gets mad at me about this. I know everyone is blaming China for the increased price for lead. The problem is that it is us(Good Old USA) buying their product's!! IMO there is some irony there, I am just not sure where. Tom.
Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline masek77

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »
For the last five years I have paid $.40 a pound for lead in scrap yards.  Doesn't seem to be going up.

Jerry

Lead just recently set a new record high of 1.69 a pound. Buy as much of the cheap lead as you can. It wont be long until the cheap sources are all dried up and you'll wish you had bought more.

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 04:43:27 PM »
Don't get over alarmed about the cost of lead increasing without looking at about everything we live on.  Powder, primers, gas checks, copper, steel,aluminum jumped double in one year,  food prices on average increased 33% in one year, which many items doubling and tripling, gas, on and on.  It is inflation, that silent thief carefully orchestrated by the big money powers to rob everyone.  Without spending a dime, most of ones life savings can be stolen in a few years.

But be aware, there are many regulations aimed at making our firearms worthless through no ammo.  ( US citizens own 80% of all the hand held firearms in the world!  Best way to disarm us is to eliminate as much ammo and ways to manufacture it as possible.
Veral Smith

Offline mrloring

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »
The problem is they are using all that lead for toy production!

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Just start collecting
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 04:07:04 AM »
 toys,should work for awhile.
 Chinia is eating our econmy up,from the inside out!
John 3:16

Offline mrbill2

• Mr. Bills Web Site
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
Interesting reading, American Rifleman Feb 2008. Page 25, lower left hand side.
LEAD COST RAZING THE ROOF. It's soon won't be safe to leave home anymore, when you get back all the copper pipes might be gone.
Mr. Bill
Supporter and Life Member of the NRA