Author Topic: THE HUNTING DEBATE”  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Ratltrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: THE HUNTING DEBATE”
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 12:48:51 PM »
jdog - If you and your "friend" are really interested in why people hunt there is good reading on that subject in Ted Kerasote's Bloodties or David Petersen's A Hunter's Heart. For some it is sport, but to others sport isn't even a part of it.

Me - I hunt to enjoy the outdoors, improve my skills in the woods and with firearms, share adventure with friends, stay in shape, and get food for the family and for the spirit. Not always in that order.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 03:36:30 AM »
My forefathers fought their way to the top of the food chain ! Who am I to change tradition  ?
I hope to hunt till the end !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 06:46:57 AM »
i saw open season and i show hunters as red-necks(which we do have a lot of here in FL but there good people) gun cazys people. well when i go hunting the only animals that fear me are pest and hogs and i hunt them in the close season so i don't have to deal with other hunters. Animals are smarter then people think because i see lots of deer in the close season and they know the seasons close because they don't even jump when they see me with my 12GA coming, i got withen 15 feet of a 150 point buck before he ran. People need to hunt before they call people names.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2007, 09:14:02 AM »
"Hunting with swords on horseback"? I'd like to see a video of that, would make a great rodeo bloopers tape!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »
Yhe the deer know they are in no danger once the season closes....
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2007, 04:53:13 PM »
Maybe that's how hunting Deer on Horseback & using swords might work. The Deer would not believe
you were Deer Hunting until it was too late!  ;D
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »
"Hunting with swords on horseback"? I'd like to see a video of that, would make a great rodeo bloopers tape!

This sounds like a hobby for the Darwin awards. You know, a hobby that would be "self extincting".

You know, riding on an 800 pound animal thru a field with a long sharp blade in your hand while holding on to the 800 pound animal with the other hand. What could possibly go wrong?

Dave

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 12:37:24 PM »
Probably nothing until you started flailing that sword around the horse's head or he unerringly found that gopher hole.   That would be an interesting ad in a horse magazine: "steady to traffic, gun fire and sword flailing". 
What would be the proper attire for sword flailing?  American Western with chaps and 10 gallon hats or more English fox hunt with pink coats and jodhpurs? 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2007, 09:55:49 AM »
dress like Custer !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 02:54:02 AM »
Look what happened to him.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 02:58:22 AM »
My point !
the saber charge was done away with for a reason !

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 07:25:09 AM »
Charging.....long sharp steel......800 pound horse.....holding with one hand.......groundhog holes, rocks, ect.....oh yeah.....much safer than any rifle or handgun made today!

Dave

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2007, 06:27:52 AM »
i believe it was the English that were big on hunting pigs with a sword and spear from horse back, also African lions, man that must have been a trip. more to the world than elk and deer,
some deer have been roped from horse back.
i don not have any peta friends nor do i plan to have. i don't feel than i am smart enough to educate anyone that stupid.
never felt that i needed to explain why i hunt, never really thought about why, just part of my make up.
when i hear some one going off about how bad the killing of animals is i just look down and say are those leather shoes, did i see you eating a steak or an egg.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2007, 01:58:16 AM »
Anti-hunters can't argue or debate with any facts or reason.  They can only debate with fear & emotion.  The only way to debate against these irrational tactics is to show pictures of road-kill, starvation, and coyote/wolf killed deer and ask them how they would prevent this.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 09:23:49 AM »
the anties don't have to do anything but express a lie and we have to disprove it !

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 05:01:49 AM »
I really do believe that if you don't like to hunt...You are probably a chromosome short.
Even the gatherers were skilled at rock throwing or using slings for the smaller game.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2007, 03:52:56 AM »
most only see the killing not the effort to get to that point ! the commerical operations fair chase and fenced both seen to be business to non hunters not true hunting , yet they don't own golf courses most of the time either !
We need to have good answers when asked why we hunt or we may lose support !

Offline NONYA

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2007, 09:59:51 AM »
the "they " that you refer to has already decided we are wrong,there isnt and there wont be any support from "them",dont even waste your time with a defense,"they" love to debate and you will never change their mind.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2007, 04:02:07 PM »
I hunt for the challenge of outsmarting the wily animal in his own domain. When I'm ask by an animal lover how I can shoot a deer, I answer "it's easy...just line 'em up in the crosshairs and squeeze the trigger." Some "anities" eat meat....I ask 'em if it's ok if someone else kills your meat for you.

Just hunt. No apologies. No explanations. You don't owe anyone anything. The last time I looked, this was America and hunting was legal.

Dave

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 06:41:21 AM »
yea with an animal lover you will get no where but someone in between , it only makes sense to give a good answerer , maybe get them to try hunting !

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2007, 06:59:21 AM »
We need to answer sincere questions with sincere questions of our own such as, "How would you deal with population & predation control?"  and, "Don't you think controlled  & regulated hunting is the most cost effective method while allowing hunters to supply healthy nutrition?"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2007, 07:03:16 AM »
BINGO !
I was taught it takes a more intelligent man to formulate a good ansewer over a smart a-- one !

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »
yea with an animal lover you will get no where but someone in between , it only makes sense to give a good answerer , maybe get them to try hunting !

Shootall,

You just changed the name of the game here. You went from an "anti" to a "twenner". There is a big difference.

Dave

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2007, 08:37:01 AM »
I know i have been taking flack for some time now and didn't know why , you just coined a new definition !
all i want to do is give the undecided a reason to side with us not the anties !
maybe the ones on my case will read this and figure it out !

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2007, 10:27:46 AM »
I know i have been taking flack for some time now and didn't know why , you just coined a new definition !
all i want to do is give the undecided a reason to side with us not the anties !
maybe the ones on my case will read this and figure it out !

You're doing fine.  Some people are just too lazy to think for themselves and will attack anyone who says something requiring more than a knee-jerk reaction. 

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2007, 11:12:44 AM »
You're doing fine.  Some people are just too lazy to think for themselves and will attack anyone who says something requiring more than a knee-jerk reaction. 

Sad.....but oh so true!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2007, 01:27:50 PM »
thanks , never want to piss off other shooters and hunters

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2007, 02:01:31 PM »
thanks , never want to piss off other shooters and hunters

Nah....I never want to stifle another individuals' thinking.

Dave

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2007, 04:05:05 AM »
The real bottom line is money...Hunters and Fisherman PAY the bill for Game management in America. Fisheries, wildlife officers and enforcement, education, and money to maintain reserves is paid for by HUNTERS and Fisherman, through tag and license fees and Wildlife management area fees.

Subsistance hunting nearly killed off alot of species in the US..Turkey, waterfowl and elk and deer were almost wiped out at some point in alot of areas due to subsistance hunting. Modern sport hunting, while also enjoying the benefit of harvesting game meat, isn't about feeding a family for survival.

Sport hunters who pay tags ARE conservationists, who also happen to support NON-Game animals as well as game animals through the money they spend. How much does PETA send to support the burrowing owl, the stickleback, or the black footed ferret? Probably nothing!!!!!!!! Hunters do.

While we are at it, conservationist hunters, let's not get too chummy or trust pure leftist leaning envirowacko conservation groups that want to LIMIT access to wild areas, and if they could would in fact STOP all sport hunting (remember Arizona anyone?).  They also want your guns, yes, your shotguns, your bolt actions your .22's. Never forget that. Once they are successfull at getting the AR/black rifles lookalikes, they will start on the traditional hunting rifles.
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2007, 06:47:41 AM »
Tackleberry,

I believe your post can be summed up as "Head of hammer.....direct hit on Head of Nail!"

Dave