Author Topic: The 308 Barrels are shooters...my scope didn't make it  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
The 308 Barrels are shooters...my scope didn't make it
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:09:38 AM »

Well...it was an interesting day yesterday...I headed to the range to try out my new stainless 308 barrel...I had 2 boxes of Federal match ammo...the 168 gr load..and the 175 grain load...I put my6x24 Smith & Wesson scope on it..the same one as I had on my muzzle loader barrel..and rough bore sighted it at home. I got to the range and got set up and put the first shot on paper with it...not bad...4-1/2" left and 1/2" low...I adjusted the scope..wiped out the bore with a clean dry patch..and fired..7/8" to high & left...I adjusted for that..ran another dry patch thru the bore..and shot again..this time at the lower right hand bulls eye.....I cut the inside of the 1/2" bulls eye...sweet...another patch..#2 sighted in shot cutting same hole dead center...I elected not to run any patches thru it for the next shot..it landed less than 1/2" away from the first 2 shots in the bull...It was at this point I started having trouble with the scopes A/O and focus ring...My site picture wents totally blurry...so I adjusted the A/O till it was clear..and shot #4...it went 1-1/2" right-1/4" low...The scope was still blurry...so I adjusted the A/O again..it shot 1/4" right..1" low...adjusted the A/O again..1-1/2" left..the scopes really failing now...the next 2 shots went into the same hole  2" high..3" left...and I can only clearly see thew target now with the scopes A/O set on 800 yards...I shot again..(shot #9 now..) and it hit 3" low and almost off the paper...I loaded my last round of 175's and had to set the scope past the infinity mark which is past the 1000 yard mark...and shot #10 struck 8-1/2" left...2" low...I called it a day by then...All in all this 308 has some serious potential...and I will be taking it back out very soon with a better scope..

The first picture shows the sequence of shots...the second is a little better close up of the nice group to start before the catastrophic scope failure...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: The 308 Barrels are shooters...my scope didn't make it
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 06:23:27 AM »
Looks like the 308 barrel is just as good as the rest of their barrels, looking forward to a more thorough wringing out that has no scope issues involved. Sorry to hear about the scope, but S&W should replace or repair it for ya. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 06:43:36 AM »

I hope so Tim...I gotta find the box for it and call them Monday...

Mac

Offline cherokee75

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 07:09:20 AM »
Is this with the Optima Elite? 

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 08:40:21 AM »

Yup...it is with their Stainless 308 Elite barrel...I think it will be another great shooter...the scope went belly up though... :'( :'( >:(  I'll find out for sure when I get to the range again...I'm putting my Leupold VX-1 4-12x40 on it...I hope Smith & Wesson takes care of the scope for me...I really like it...and want it replaced...

Mac

Offline Cknerr

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Antique Rifle Restoration
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 03:03:17 PM »
That will take the wind out of your sails.

Sorry to hear about it.

Hope the glass on the 270 barrel doesn't do the same to me Tuesday! think I will take an extra scope along just in case...learn from your experience?!

Take care,
Chris
Chris K'nerr
Atlanta Woodwright's Studio, Inc.
Acworth, Ga. 30101
678-770-4274
678-574-5522 (h)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 06:19:42 PM »

It will get better...I have no doubt about it...as soon as I get my 308 Savage fixed..I'll be doing a head to head with it...I'm fixing to put my other 4-12  VX-1 on it tonight to have it ready...

Good luck with the 270..Keep us posted

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:46:36 AM »

Well...thanks to Quickdtoo...I'm going to have my 308 outfitted with this scope instead of the Leupold 4x12..

It's this scope here...and looks like another good one from Meuller...http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT852544.html

I hope to be shooting by next week sometime...it should be interesting ;)

Thanks Again Tim

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »
Mac, sorry to hear about another scope going belly up for you. Seems you have had a string of it  :-\
But I look forward to hearing how that 308 does wearing a Mueller. I look forward to hearing your report on both barrel and scope 8)

-Aaron

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »

Well...thanks to Quickdtoo...I'm going to have my 308 outfitted with this scope instead of the Leupold 4x12..

It's this scope here...and looks like another good one from Meuller...http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT852544.html

I hope to be shooting by next week sometime...it should be interesting ;)

Thanks Again Tim

Mac

Interesting indeed! I have been looking at one of those to do load development this summer.  I checked out the Eradicator last week at the local dealer (FOOD Giant /Harrisburg, AR), but the crosshair was a little thin for me. I checked a 4X16 Tactical & the crosshair was great, I hope it will be the same crosshair as this model.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:16:48 PM »
Mac, sorry to hear about another scope going belly up for you. Seems you have had a string of it  :-\
But I look forward to hearing how that 308 does wearing a Mueller. I look forward to hearing your report on both barrel and scope 8)

-Aaron

Thanks Arron..seems when I use anything but a Leupold...things go a rye...I have used a Mueller before and with good luck...and it did hold up nicely on my Beeman Springer air rifle...so I think it will hold up with the 308 ;)

Rod:

The Mueller I had was the Tactical..it now resides on my good friends 7mm mag Savage...and he loves it.....and used it last deer season...It really does focus under 15 yards on the A/O too...mine went down to 12-13 yards...I was impressed..and the illumination settings worked great too...They are big scopes...and not for every ones taste......

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »

My replacement scope arrived yesterday..It's big and it's long with the 3" sun shade...but I like it...It's amazingly bright & clear...even on 25 x...more so than a-lot of other cheaper scopes..The A/O is dead on on the yardages too...I have some lazed area's around my home..up too 300 yards anyway..and it is right on the money...just as I knew it would be.....I did a little late evening viewing from inside my screened in porch right at dusk and had no problem with it being dim at all...even with the sun shade on it...I took it off...and it was even brighter......I am anxious to get to the range with it ...

Mac

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 05:15:28 PM »
That looks serious & I bet it will be!  ;)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »
Looks like it belongs there!! ;)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »

It actually balances quite nicely... ;D

Mac

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
Alright Mac, it's been over a month now... ya got to give us an update ;D
How is the scope performing for you? Run any Matchkings through this one yet?

Many around these parts are interested in this scope, and the price is right. I wonder what the full max MOA adjustment is with these? I don't see it on the website...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 01:57:52 PM »

Well...

I am still waiting to get back to the range...I was supposed to go to my co-workers range with him..but he had to back out again at the last minute..What little I did get to shoot it the last time out..http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,118980.0.html..it did pretty good...and I have no complaints about it..It's bright and clear..I haven't got a chance to shoot the box with it..but hopefully it will be sometime soon...if I can find a place to shoot.. >:( I'll let you know how it does...I will be pulling it off the CVA and putting it on the Savage before hunting season..and most likely will go with either a extra Leupold 4x12 I have..or put the 3x9  Leupold Tactical on it..

Mac

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 07:30:17 PM »
Mac. I am also very intrested in this scope. I am looking to put the same one on my Handi 243 Bull barrel. I think it would be a good one for it. If I like it I may even put another on my 204 Handi. Let us know how it works for you.
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 05:26:14 AM »

No problem Dale...I've had Mueller scopes before..and they always work good...I might wind up with it on my Savage and put the Leupold 3x9 Tactical on the CVA before I go...since I already know how good this 308 barrel can shoot..I need to do the same for the bolt gun..The scope is well up to allowing that...

Mac

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 10:05:19 AM »
Congrats on your 5000th post Mac, but it's in the CVA forum :-\, but....at least they're single shots!! ;D ::)

Tim

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
Yes, congrats on your 5,000th post which you may get to do twice. A little bit of deja vu , all over again!!!! 
It is as though a post got deleted, man look what happens when you go to work. 

I don't see the relevance of which forum this milestone took place, I guess I am not sensitive enough!   :'(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 04:33:11 PM »
Most likely a thread that Mac contributed to got dumped.

::) Gotta give him a bad time when I can, doesn't happen often!! ;D

Tim

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »

Thanks guys...No big deal really...

Mac

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 08:08:55 AM »

I could have updated my post here..but put my initial report here..http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,120636.0.html...What I didn't do was report on the Meullar scope...My bad :-[

This scope is a very nice scope...It is a very good scope for the small amount they sell for...It isn't a bright as some of the more expensive scopes..but it does a good job with out much flaring in bright sun...The reticule is pretty thick for very precise shooting such as you will get with the Eradicator..but the mil dots are spot on as far as windage and elevation..I shot it along side of my Nikon Buckmaster side focus 6x18 FD...The Nikon is a better scope for varmint hunting IMHO...namely because it is designed as such...were as the Mueller I have is a tactical scope and works great in this application...Both are excellent scopes and track well...

I'll be shooting it some more when I put it on my Savage 308...next week...I will be putting my Leupold 4x12 VX-1 on my Elite to be trying out some handloads in the following....I'll be loading some 150 grain Moly coated Nosler Partition Golds...some 150 gr Hornady SST and some 165 gr. Hornady A-max bullets and hopefully be shooting at a new range I am joining which has very nice 600 yard targets...Vacation starts next week for me...and I am looking forward to really shooting all of my rifles there...

Mac