Author Topic: gun shops  (Read 415 times)

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
gun shops
« on: April 21, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »
My choices for gun supplies are limited I have one decent shop around but he is open in the afternoons when I'm at work. a shop on the way to work that is run buy a crook in witch between an heated discussion over him been crazy high on something and me telling  an old widow that he was screwing her, I'm not welcome [he was going to give her what her late husband paid for a like new winchester mod 70 when he bought it in 1958 she had the box and recept] wally world is not an option  so that leaves me with a little hole in the wall place with about a dozen guns and a decent supply of ammo and reloading supplies run buy an 80somthing old man who lost his wife this year  he is about 25% higher than walmart. Let me tell you about the owner In 1942 he started flying torpedo bombers he moved to the airforce because he wanted to fly night fighters  he flew cover for the U.S.S Miissouri when it  sailed  into Tokyo harbar when he retired in 1985 he was working in small arms research He knows more about balistics than most of the so called experts   I have decided that paying 25% more for something from a man that has been shot at for me is well worth the price And talking to a HERO from the greatest generation......well that is just Priceless
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: gun shops
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 05:43:45 PM »
 Right on PR;

A little extra for someone that has really EARNED it..doesn't hurt !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:32:44 AM »
I wish I would have taken a tape recorder with me many times to record the stories
of a WWII veteran I used to work with. You are correct! Those stores were priceless...
And now they are gone. They went to the Grave with C.W. As far as I know, He despised
the Japanese until the day he died. I brought a "Time Life" Book with me to read on break
(title was Island Fighting) He asked if he could look at it.. 10 minutes later he handed it back
to me.. it brought back too many memories.. He simply said "I know all about that, I WAS THERE".
That was three very powerful words from a very old man, "I WAS THERE"
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:39:18 AM »
I am retired military, and civil service, I have almost 50 years combined service.  Two of my closest friends are WWII Vets, and often tell stories about their experiences, even I set and listen when they speak.

One just recently turned 92 years old, he was an enlisted Navy pilot during the war, and flew just about every aircraft in the Navy inventory.  The other man is 89, he is a retired Marine, a survivor of the Bataan Death March, he has memory problems, and sometimes gets his stories confused, but when he is in good form he has some very interesting stories to tell.

I am currently involved in a Masonic "Take Time To Read" program where several of us  go to an elementary school twice each week and read to first and second grade students.  I have found that the students like to hear about what it was like when I was growing up, I can only imagine what they would say if my two friends could read and speak to them.

I think it is important that we record as many tales as possible from the old timers.  This is not only good for family history, but for society in general.  If you know older folks, and they will permit, then record their conversations for those that follow you.  My friend, the retired Marine, is currently in the VA Hospital in Big Springs, TX.  Due to his medical problems, I doubt that he will ever be released.  I wish I had recorded his conversations when I had the chance.