Author Topic: 9mm Mak  (Read 995 times)

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
9mm Mak
« on: April 22, 2007, 06:12:24 AM »
Tomorrow, for no other reason than I want to, I will purchase a CZ in 9mm Mak. For shooting I will roll my own with home cast bullets.

The thought came to me that I could replace the wife's downstairs go-to gun (a 3" 5 shot revolver) with the CZ.

What are your opinions on this and what store bought ammo would you recommend?

Offline rockbilly

Re: 9mm Mak
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:27:36 AM »
I am kinda partial to the 9x18 MAK.  I own several guns chambered for that round, one of my favorites is the Polish P-64.  It is a PPK look a liike, easily concealed, fairly accurate out to about 40 yards.  As an occasional carry gun, it is loaded with Hornady 95gr JHP/XTP.  They perform well on bowling pins, and should offer a fair amount of stopping power if needed.

As for reloading for the round, you can purchase bulk factory ammo for about 5 bucks a box when bought in lots of 100 or more.  I don't think you can reload that cheap.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:02:33 AM »

As for reloading for the round, you can purchase bulk factory ammo for about 5 bucks a box when bought in lots of 100 or more.  I don't think you can reload that cheap.

I once thought the same about 9mm Luger, I could buy military style imported ammo so cheap, why reload. I soon found that while I could not load cheaper ammo, I could sure load better and more accurate ammo.
  jgalar, I'd not replace the revolver. A seldom mentioned reality of home defence shooting is that it often involves a physical scuffle for control of the gun. In that situation, with two people struggling over the gun, an auto will almost certainly jam after the first shot. I'm not one who considers revolvers to be inherently more reliable, I've seen too many problems with revolvers, but in that scenario I'd definitely prefer a revolver. Plus, if the wife is accustomed to a revolver why complicate maters by introducing a new auto? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 05:00:14 PM »
JG
I bought an East German Makarov.  I like it a lot. 

Casting your own is the way to go with this gun.  Cast way more bullets than you think you'll ever need and you still won't have enough.  The supplies of cheap ammo are dwindling a bit.  For factory loads, I've been pleased with Silver Bear 115gr Bimetal HP's.  They are in a nickle plated case and have a berdan primer.  The hollow point is very large and deep - sorta like Win Silver tip HP's.  I bought mine at a pawn shop, so you may have to search for them in your area.

I've fired my hand casts (SAECO mould) in the slow fire portion of the bullseye course with this little gun.  I shot an 81.  (My normal score was about 90 with the .38)

The advantage of a revolver (in addition to being fireable in a struggle/purse/pocket) is that, for practice, you don't wear the knees out of your pants picking up brass!
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »
I've got a German Mak as well, and it's a fine shooter. Because of the lack of penetration with .380s and 9X18s many suggest using FMJ or cast bullets instead of hollow points.

I'm lucky to find 50% of my brass at the range. That Mak sure spits it out far and wide!

What kind of 3" 5-shot revolver are you planning to replace with the Mak? A .38+P is just as effective as a 9X18. A .357 is three times better.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 02:30:06 AM »
You say that you want to reload cast bullets for the CZ82. Not a good idea. The CZ82/83 have polygon rifling which does not work good with lead bullets. Too much fowling!

Offline jgalar

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 03:24:23 AM »
PA-Joe I noticed it had the polygonal barrel when I got it and I ordered some Hornaday jacketed bullets for it. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 05:27:27 AM »
I used to think that the Polygon rifling/ lead bullet problem
was a myth.. It isn't. Not only does it foul worse, but the accuracy sucks too.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline jgalar

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 02:16:16 AM »
Thanks SS. I read alot of internet postings about cast and polygon and the results were all over the place. I figure I'll just play it safe and purchase jacketed bullets.

Oh, by the way the CZ82 or the commercial version the CZ83 are awesome guns. If you are looking for .380 or 9x18 power I recommend the CZ.

Offline AH-1

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 01:18:07 AM »
on cast and the CZ82.I use a magma mold 95 gr lrn and size .365.for brass reformed 9mm luger and bullseye for powder.I have used this load for years in my makarovs.
last time out at the range I shot 40 rd's through the cz82.no problems and a accurate load.
when I got home I ran a patch of clp down the bore and had a look.no leading and checked the patch and no lead on it also.this was in my pistol and ymmv but atleast you might want to try cast in yours.
one more thing my alloy that I used was 9lb ww to 1 lb lino bhn right at 14.
pete

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »
JGalar, I got my Hungarian made  FEG model PA63 9x18Mak a little over a week ago for concealed carry and I like the simplicity of this blow back action, as there is not much to screw up which makes it pretty reliable.  The extractor on this little pistol works great and yeah it does send the brass a good ways when shooting at the range.  I also hand load for this cartridge but use commercially cast slugs of 93 grain wt. over 4.5 grains of Alliant's PowerPistol powder and Winchester small pistol primer.  This load is more accurate than I am but I have only put about fifty rounds through it.  It seems incapable of jamming and is easy to conceal with a belt slide Triple K holster under a jacket.  The frame is aluminum and I have heard that handloaders should not try to achieve 9MM Luger performance as the cycling of the action with this much force with crack the frame very quickly.  Hope you like your CZ, I have never shot this brand but have heard good things about their products.