Author Topic: Single action semi – what am I missing?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline NimrodRx

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Single action semi – what am I missing?
« on: April 24, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »
I’ve got the bug for a CCW.  Last week I completed my CCW class and applied for a CPL.  While I’m waiting for my CPL (up to 3 months in MI), I want to handle as many pistols as possible to be sure I make the right decision.

Thus far I have had the opportunity to shoot a couple of 1911s (Kimber and Wilson Arms) in .45 ACP, a Glock 19, S&W M&P .40, Springfield XD .357 Sig, and Sig 239 .40.  I have also handled, but not shot the CZ 75 P-01 and a multitude of 1911 variants. 

I have come to a couple of conclusions.  My pistol will be chambered in 9mm.  My wife is showing some interest in learning to shoot.  I want to make it as enjoyable as possible.  Besides, this way I can tell her that the 9mm is “hers” and I can get a .45 1911 later on ;)

The Glock and M&P were nice, but I have not yet warmed up to the idea of carrying one in the tube with only a trigger safety.  Maybe I’ll get there with more training.  For now, I like a manual safety.  Cocked and locked with the 1911 does not bother me.   

I also like a single action trigger.  The Sig 239 was great for a DA/SA, but I really didn’t love the long trigger pull.  I shot the 1911s much better.  In fact, if I were getting anything other than a 9mm, I think I’d be done shopping.  I LOVE the Kimber Ultra Carry II.

So…  Where does that leave me?  What are my options for a single action 9 mm with a manual safety?

On my short list are the Springfield EMP and the H&K Model 7.  Both are pretty pricey and I have not yet been able to handle either.  I’m actually afraid to pick up the EMP for fear of absolutely loving it.  I really like the 1911 design, and the thought of one scaled down to the 9mm seems like a perfect option for me.  The model 7 gets great reviews, but that grip cocker would take some getting used to. 

What other makes and models should I look at?
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Single action semi – what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:32:02 AM »
The Kimber Aegis should fit the bill nicely. Although a bit pricey.   KN

Offline jgalar

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:46:11 PM »
The CZ is double action, but can also be carried cocked and locked.

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:16:44 PM »
Does the CZ have a thumb style safety?

If the CZ is carried cocked and locked is it then a SA/DA?
"Make mine a double. Whether I'm ordering drinks or shotguns, it's always served me well!"  :toast:  :toast:

"It's been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well."  T. Roosevelt

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:05:29 PM »
Got another one to look at now.

The STI LS9.

Anybody have any experience?

Offline NimrodRx

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
Turns out I didn’t know what the heck I wanted…

I picked up a H&K USP Compact in .40 S&W today and found nirvana.  This gun had the best feel and balance for me out of everything I have looked at, and I’ve looked at a lot.  I love the safety/decocker.  It allows me to carry cocked and locked with a thumb safety, double action with no safety, or double action with safety on.  For a double stack, I can’t believe how concealable it is.  Only 1.14” overall width. 

After doing some calling around, I got lucky and found a new stainless .40 USP Compact on clearance for $699.  Turns out H&K has discontinued the two tone.  I couldn’t be happier.  Well, I’d be happier if I didn’t have to put it on lay-away and could have walked out of there with it today.

Offline jaybird

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »
You made a great choice. I love my usp compact. It balances well and shoots great. It was well worth the money I paid for it.

Offline minutemen1776

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 04:53:39 AM »
I'm glad you like your H&K. If you're still looking for a 9mm single-action, try the Star BM. Milsurp stocks have begun to dry up, but they can still be found on the auctions for $300 or so.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 11:01:25 PM »
Or better still, a .357 revolver!  ;D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 11:30:17 PM »
One of the best has been around since 1935.  I'm speaking of the venerable Browning Hi-Power. 

Offline wJAKE19

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 04:34:21 AM »
what about the springfield xd. it has a grip saftey and trigger saftey.
~Jake